Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What problems are you having
Clutch (please post at what mileage)
9.86%
Rust (for those of you who took the bumper off)
1.69%
Misfiring
4.23%
Other (list what the problem is/was)
6.76%
None!!
77.46%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Evos!?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a problem with my driver window and steering column when someone tried to steal my car. At the dealer now getting fixed.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no problems really. a noise near the front left wheel. but i think its a swaybar endlink. probably from some of the weird hilly driveways i i've parked on. that and a lot of wanna-be tarmac rally driving in the Cascade foothills.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

People define problems in different ways, sure my brakes squeak occasionaly, but they always work, so I don't consider it a problem. I've had my Evo in two days will be six months and I have almost 19K miles on it. I have not had to take it in for anything other than oil changes and regular maintenance. My SVT Focus was out of commision within 4 months of buying it. The Evo has always started, always run and always put a smile on my face.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

What he said...

Originally posted by emulous
The Evo has always started, always run and always put a smile on my face.
Yes, yes and HELL YES!
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I voted "Other":

At less than 1K miles, the "SRS" (airbag) light came on. The dealer replaced the SRS ECU, and the light came back on during the drive home. I think it was just a mis-diagnosis by the dumb dealer tech though. The next time around, they replaced the passenger side airbag and it hasn't returned. Unfortunately, the stupid monkey-f*ck also scratched the heck out of several parts of my interior during the "repair", and the driver side door sill paint, so I had to get all that fixed/repainted/replaced.

My biggest problem: gearbox grind on a quick 1-->2 shift @ 5K rpm (documented here many times). I dealer keeps saying "NTF", of course. I can't blame them, since I can't ever seem to reproduce it when I want to. It'll be quiet for 3 weeks straight, then grind three times in one day. I'm switching to Redline MT-90 this holiday break.

Overall, this car seems very reliable. I love it and have no regrets at all.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by emulous
People define problems in different ways, sure my brakes squeak occasionaly, but they always work, so I don't consider it a problem. I've had my Evo in two days will be six months and I have almost 19K miles on it. I have not had to take it in for anything other than oil changes and regular maintenance. My SVT Focus was out of commision within 4 months of buying it. The Evo has always started, always run and always put a smile on my face.
good point! My definition of problem is car in shop even some of the time (other than for regular maintenance). The rust thing kind of bothered me b/c the dealer won't do anything about that and I heard there is no warrenty on the clutch either. I'm probably going to get the ss clutch line to start with and then the performance clutch if and when the first one goes. Again thanx for all your experiences guys!
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

4100 Miles and no issues except that I got rear-ended. It took 15 days to replace the rear bumper as the parts are harder to get. That is the extent of my "Problem".

Mechanically there are no issues. Starts, goes really goes.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by cam2
None except for a weird noise I heard the other day, almost 4000 miles, stock. (I only have a dealer installed turbo timer).
Could you tell us more about this? I've never heard of a dealer installed timer. I'd be very interested!

Emre
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:53 PM

I have nearly 6000 miles on my Evo. I already went through one clutch... oddly enough I haven't even been driving it THAT hard... but I did get the car before feeling 100% confident on driving stick, so that might have something to do with it. I have also witnessed the odd grinding noise between gears occasionally, but it hasn't happened in at least a month. Also, the paint gets scratched and chipped really easily. The chips are understandable though... wide grippy tires + small stones = fender chips... makes sense. Oddly enough, there's a small chip on my trunk, I don't have the slightest clue on how that got there. The brakes squeal, but that is 100 percent normal with brakes of that nature. There is also a weird rattle in my car... sounds like it's coming from the driver's side door. It's been there since day one, nothing too important. Either than that, my Evo has been perfect, it always drives nice and smooth. Anyone know a good place to get my paint scratches buffed out in the Chicagoland area?
Old Dec 15, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Kayaalp

Could you tell us more about this? I've never heard of a dealer installed timer. I'd be very interested!

Emre
Ya, my dealer installed my turbo timer for me. The dealership I got my Evo from has a great service department. They called me and other Evo's they sold regarding an upgrade program they are putting together which includes keeping max boost to redline, a new exhaust, blow off valve and air intake. Last I was told they were going to finalize it and get back to everyone who was interested.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:03 PM

Man, coming from a dealership, that'd prolly cost a lot, but might be worth it if it doesn't touch the warrenty. I wish my dealership was cool like that.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

4000 miles

Car runs fine.

Replaced 1 clutch because of slipping at a launch. DO NOT SLIP YOUR CLUTCH DROP IT AT REASONABLE RPM.

http:www.CarPhoto.net
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

no probs.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by EVOed8
Man, coming from a dealership, that'd prolly cost a lot, but might be worth it if it doesn't touch the warrenty. I wish my dealership was cool like that.
The dealership said the cost for everything would be about 2000, but you can pick and choose what you want.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I voted for Clutch. I'm getting the vibration/clutch noise while I lift off the cluth during a downshift. It's been popping up more often now. I posted about it about a month ago and no one knew what I was talking about. Now its happening to quite a few people. People are saying its the pressure plate or something like that. When I get a chance I'm going to hit the dealer and see what's up.

BTW I have close to 6k miles.

Quick Reply: Stock Evos!?