Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

absolutely fantastic snow driving, good lord

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
absolutely fantastic snow driving, good lord

Note: this is not a tire review, more of a general overview of the Evo in snowy (real REAL snowy) conditions with snow tires.

I have to admit I was a bit worried about my ability to move around this winter without all the lovely protection schemes my previous car had on it. Traction control, stability control, throttle control, etc. etc. These things kept me out of trouble the last 2 years, and I wasn't really feeling adequately prepared for this winter with "just" AWD and snow tires.

Well let me tell you, as many of you probably already know yourselves, this thing is just AT HOME in the snow. I mean absolutely comfortable, happy, responsive, quick, everything. We got about a foot of snow yesterday and I spent the better part of 2 hours and a 1/2 tank of gas just driving around getting a feel for the car. Cornering control is excellent... get a little tail happy? Just countersteer, point, apply moderate throttle, and you're off! Hit a patch of ice? Oh wait I didn't even notice! Have to stop at a stoplight on a slight incline? Didn't notice that either!

It's just unreal. I mean in the bimmer I would pass SUVs and such on the highway all the time, but around town was a different story. Now I simply fear the slow pokes. Note that I'm not talking about sustained speed, I'm talking more about the ability to grab traction at a light for example, and hold onto it while getting to 20-30mph.

Let us not forget the insane fun you can have with this car in a snowy unplowed parking lot too! It's great practice to get a feel for how the car responds to throttle in different turning conditions.

Overall I am extremely impressed, I actually look forward to this winter as it's just going to be another season of driving instead of fear of the weather!

FYI I am rolling on stock-sized Dunlop Wintersport M3 snow tires. They are EXCELLENT in any snow/slush/ice conditions and perform admirably on dry pavement. I'd rank them right up there with Blizzak LM-22s.

Also if you're going to do anything in any parking lot, don't be a dumbass! Know the lot before you mess around in it. Drive around and look for curbs/bumps/holes/drains/etc. If you drive into a light pole I am not responsible!
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

i know how you feel man. the car feels solid. i've driven mine and passing all sorts of car and i'm not worried one bit with losing control. i was parked on the side of the road and a plow threw like a foot of snow on my side. had no problem getting out. got out of there like there wasn't any snow.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I noticed that you can get some unexpected lift throttle oversteer (I'm talking about low speeds here) that might get you into trouble. I also recommend playing in an empty parking lot to get to know your new vehicle.

I was going to get a bigger rear sway bar for better track performance.. now I'm afraid of what a nightmare it might be in winter time. Anyone know how hard it is to R&R a rear sway on this car?
Old Dec 15, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

I remember when I got my 2.5RS and another guy in my office had a Vette, while we both knew the two didn't compare in one bit, I always said let it rain (this was Atlanta) and I'll out handle you without a problem. He always said, not I've got traction control, yada, yada, yada, there's no way a subaru would beat his vette.

The difference between AWD and traction control and what not, is there are disablers to keep out of trouble, where [b]AWD is an enabler[\b] to let you do more with what you got, sure you can still get into trouble with AWD, but if you know how to use it properly you'll be able to go through a lot more snow and have a lot more fun doing it.

Definetely take the above mentioned suggestions of taking it to an empty parkling lot, or better yet, a deserted dirt (snow covered) road and see what it can and can not do within reason, learn how it reacts in different situations. I've read a lot of your posts, so I know you won't think that AWD will make you and your vehicle superman, so play safe because it's usually the other folks (usually in trucks/suv's or rear wheel drive cars) that you have to play defense against.

I had to drive from Southern New Hampshire to Central Maine today on some pretty slippery roads and passed at least 20 cars off the side of the road, the Evo with 215/45/17 snow tires did an awesome job getting me here safely. I was driving conservatively, but wouldn't of gotten here in the same amount of time or as safe as I would of in my now traded in 4x4 truck or my SVT Focus with winter package (i.e. traction control, etc).
Old Dec 15, 2003, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

emulous, definitely good advice with watching for others. Additionally, remember that AWD and big brakes don't help you stop quicker on ice or slush! So brake early and smoothly.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
emulous, definitely good advice with watching for others. Additionally, remember that AWD and big brakes don't help you stop quicker on ice or slush! So brake early and smoothly.
agreed but dont forget to downsift and let the engine slow you down too.. That is a HUGE help on snow and ice.