Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rattle/noise

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rattle/noise

Ok not sure if I can explain this. Tried to get a sound clip but didn't come out well. I have an odd rattle/tap noise Happens around 2800rpms sounds like a nut is rattling against the windshield. I can't find where this noise is coming from. I am stumped. Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts. Only when the car is in gear and around 2800 rpms. In any gear. sounds like its coming from the driver right hand side of the inside or right at the bottom corner of the windshield of the outside. Its not the wiper and can't see anything on the hood. Just curious if anyone ever has had something similar.. Thanks. Will try and get a sound clips.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrench/nut/bolt in the rain tray?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had similar rattle sounds last year. First try this. It might be this. Inner clip of windshiled moulding vibrate againt windshield.

TSB-05-42A-005 Released March 2005 (titled: Winshield creaking noise while driving)

1 Test drive to verify noise is coming from A pillar area
2 use a soft trim stick to remove the side windshield moulding from the cowl trim - do not remove the cowl trim for this procedure
3 obtain adhesive-backed thin felt material from BSR kit (MR991752) Cut six felt pieces, approx 70 mm x 5 mm
4 Remove the liner from the back of the felt pieces. Affix the felt on the inner clips. Affix one felt piece to each of the three inner clips Repear on the other side.
5 Be sure that the outer moulding clips (four on each side) are securely attached to the body retension stud. IF the clips are not properly attached, noise may result
6 Reinstall the windshield side moulding
7 test drive to verify the noise is eliminated.

In my case, It did not work so I sprayed WB40 bottom of windshield corner and surprisingly no rattles ever since.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome thanks I am going to give that a shot this weekend. Funny I had my winshield replaced over a year ago so it makes sense....
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem. Hope this solves your problem. Rattle sounds drove me crazy last year and It was really hard to point where noise comes from since evo is noisy car.

I put attach file here. it will give you better idea.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Windshield rattles.pdf (69.1 KB, 0 views)
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryuartz
No problem. Hope this solves your problem. Rattle sounds drove me crazy last year and It was really hard to point where noise comes from since evo is noisy car.

I put attach file here. it will give you better idea.
Wow!!! I can't say thank you enough. Hope this works.. Really appreciate it!