Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IV and crankwalk?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO IV and crankwalk?

Im looking to get an EVO IV into canada sometime this summer, cant be anything newer because cars have to be 15 years old or older to import into Canada, I know a lot of people with EVO I/IIs but noone with an EVO IV, so I thought Id be one of the first to have one.

Ive been doing my research and theres a thread here and there that talk about crankwalk, and I was just wondering if its actually as likely to happen on a EVO IV 4G63 as people make it out to be, or is it just overhyped, very low chance of it happening on a stock motor?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
the I,II,III all have the older 7 bolt motor that had some crankwalk issuse but not alot really its over hyped, The IV had new 7 bolt like the rest 4-9 evos were everything is floped cam sprockets other side etc.. youll be fine dont worry about it build it boost it brake it haha
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^+1, crankwalk is over hyped.. The whole crankwalk thing usually comes from mouths of people who just got spanked at the track by an older Evo..
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

^^ wrong..... if its standard with just a few basic bolt ons you'll be ok.. but if you want a bit more power then good luck to you.... the earlier I II and especially III's were not really prone to it but with the switch it created the bearing issue.... they fixed that on the V's and later models... but the IV is really the issue not the I II or III...

Asking a question like this on a site based in a country that never sold them and has very limited numbers of them...

lancerregister.com is where you will see the horror stories.... all reputable tuners will tell you to stay away or swap the eingine for a later model...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:40 PM

Well Id get a 5 if it was only one more year away, but I wont be able to import a V for 2.5 years here because of the import rules, so Im not sure if I should get something else in the meantime or just get a IV and sell it in 2 years (they'd go for like over 10k) then get a V.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 4G63 GSX for years and never had any issues with crankwalk. Every honda owner that asked me about my car would ask me the same question over and over again. I had quite a bit of mods on it and it was my DD for a while as well, never had any issues. 4G63 owners who don't maintain their cars and wreck the hell out of them on tracks used crankwalk as a scape goat.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

evo 1-4 bottom ends do suffer from crankwalk issues. if it was rebuilt right it wont have crank walk unless your looking at a stock motor. if daily driven and beaten your looking at crank walks waiting to happen.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Hay mate over my way we have a lot of evo's from 1 up that still drive around, I dont know much about the history over there compaired to here but i would have an evo 2 over the 4, Especially if it was rs.

But in saying that a good mate of mine has en evo 4 and he has had very very little problems with it, he runs 18psi and DD. It has about 215,000kms and is mostly standard, got exhaust, air intake, bov and on its 3rd radiator.
lots of dings but still runs well.

Shane
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:30 PM

Well the few of my friends have evo 1's and 2's but no 4's here cause they arent legal here til august. But it would be my DD, and I wont be doing too much to it. I plan on bigger injectors and a turbo (will just take the two off of an evo ix to start with) a fuel pump and leave the rest of the engine stock. Other than that Ill be looking to get coils and some other suspension parts.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joyce1bro
^^ wrong..... if its standard with just a few basic bolt ons you'll be ok.. but if you want a bit more power then good luck to you.... the earlier I II and especially III's were not really prone to it but with the switch it created the bearing issue.... they fixed that on the V's and later models... but the IV is really the issue not the I II or III...

Asking a question like this on a site based in a country that never sold them and has very limited numbers of them...

lancerregister.com is where you will see the horror stories.... all reputable tuners will tell you to stay away or swap the eingine for a later model...
horror stories are everywhere about any 4g63. i had an evo 4 swap and was pretty modified... dont scare him on the evo 4. i had this swap for quite some time.. i ve known people with crankwalk with late model engines....so its everywhere
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

^^ true but they are more common on the 4's because of the bearing design and the oiling issues or lack of it gets... As I said this was changed in the V's and up... Im not saying dont get one (although I personally wouldnt) but if I did I would deff change my engine to a later model...

As for the guy who said his mates IV runs around on 18psi that not really pushing anything....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:46 PM

Well considering how high Id be able to sell an evo IV here, I could sell it in two years when Im able to get an evo V here (imports have to be 15 years or older in canada). Id be able to get a V plus more.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joyce1bro
^^ true but they are more common on the 4's because of the bearing design and the oiling issues or lack of it gets... As I said this was changed in the V's and up... Im not saying dont get one (although I personally wouldnt) but if I did I would deff change my engine to a later model...

As for the guy who said his mates IV runs around on 18psi that not really pushing anything....
hay bro have u got a link into your build?

No he isnt pushing it very far, but for an untuned car thats done over 215,000, 10,000km oil changes he has done very very well from the old girl.

Cheers
Shane
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

^^yeah i must admit thats pretty awesome no matter what evo it is to get that many ks.... dont have a build thread... didnt make one, useless aye lol...

Originally Posted by r0arshach
Well considering how high Id be able to sell an evo IV here, I could sell it in two years when Im able to get an evo V here (imports have to be 15 years or older in canada). Id be able to get a V plus more.
sounds like a plan .... I just wouldnt push the numbers....
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my Evo 4 1 year ago... The car has 160,000 km (100K miles), completetly stock!!

I modified. Changed turbo (evo9 turbo), alky, cams, evo 8 ecu, 560 cc, and other mods... The car run 12.3 in 1/4 mile, with too bad 60ft (1.9 seconds) the evo has alot for made a car of 11 seconds in 1/4 mile.... with a stock motor!!! it´s not bad for an old car (15 years).. Only I recomemd change the oil around 2k or 3k kilometers....and the car will be safe!

Quick Reply: EVO IV and crankwalk?