Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anyone weld their oil pan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First you're gunna have to pull it off and inspect it. If you scraped the ground real hard and the whole area is weakened it might be more difficult to repair.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:12 PM

the problem is (I'm sure I'll get sh*t for this).... I let my girl drive the car from time to time but I always tell her if something happens to tell me so I can fix it before it gets worse... of course she never does so I'm not entirely sure what or if she hit somthing, but there is a few small scratches in that area
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
youre going to have to drop the oil pan to get a good weld on it anyway. Stop being a cheep skate and do it right the new oil pan cant be more than 150
I wouldnt listen to this unless my parents were footing the bill. Id weld it and so should you if you got the welder. You prolly dont even need filler rod just clean it and melt it together.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first question is how the leak developed ? It is very unlikely that your girlfriend bottomed out and punched a hole in it... Second, I see you are from Boston which uses road salt. Is the pan possibly rusted out causing the leak ?? I would bet it is. My car cam from upstate NY and the oil pan is ugly with some nasty rust in spots. I know it's just a matter of time before it leaks and I have to change it.. If this is the case, then no.. It wont be able to be welded. The metal will be too thin to get a good weld on it. However, if you are good at fabbing and have the tools, After all it is metal and can be fixed with patchwork, etc from the inside...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

I made a huge dent in myn but no leak, Weld from the inside and post some pics!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd be temped to attempt a repair without removing the pan. There are epoxy products made for this purpose.

I'm guessing the round depressions on the skid plate are the locations where the skid plate is spot welded to the pan. If you caught the edge of the skid plate on a parking stop a spot weld probably tore a rip in the pan.

You'd need to grind through from the outside of the plate until the spot weld releases. Then degrease and apply the product.

Before deciding to pull the pan, I'd suggest searching for pics of the inside. As I remember, it is pretty well baffled. This might block access from the inside.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:44 AM

Ok think before you post buddy. Grind a hole thats bigger then the one thats there? Just take it and find where the pin hole is and fix. You evo guys need to stop paying people to fix your car and take initiative like the OP. He said he has a welder and you tell him to use an epoxy that most likely wont work. GET YA POST COUNT UP! Thats all that matters, not good useful information.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Send it my way, ill fix the crack and add a skid plate. I wouldn't MIG weld that. Tig all the way
Shoot me a pm
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:55 PM

welllll... i took the pan off and to my dismay, the area under the skid plate rusted threw along the welds.. brought it to my buddies shop and tig welded the skid plate to the pan all the way around.. just a quick fix, i could have cut and fab'ed it up all fancy but i talked to an old friend that works for a mitsubishi stealership.. his cost for a new pan was $102.80 from $228, so i made the only rational decision

*note: i wasn't intending on being cheap, i'm an aircraft mechanic and i'm fully capable of fixing things.. i'm just sick of ordering new parts every time something fails.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
Send it my way, ill fix the crack and add a skid plate. I wouldn't MIG weld that. Tig all the way
Shoot me a pm
If you were offering to do this for free or on the cheep.. thats a huge thumbs up from me !!

Precisely what I thought.. it rusted through..
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:01 AM

What did you end up doing? Mine is leaking at that exact spot
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rocksolid58
What did you end up doing? Mine is leaking at that exact spot
Read post # 24........ Next time read the thread before posting in it please.