Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anyone weld their oil pan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone weld their oil pan

I have a leak on my oil pan at the marked location in the pic below.. I think I can get away with welding it? It drips maybe once every 15 minutes so I know its nothing substantial.. but I rather not buy a new one when I'm sure i can get away with removing it, grinding down the paint, and welding.. does anyone have experience with with a similar situation??

Last edited by reklisss; Mar 25, 2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that. The pan is steel so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran my Honda with a welded aluminium Gearbox Case for years with no leaks The box had a six inch long crack. I'm sure that can be fixed with a weld. The difference is that it has to hold pressure, but again, I'm sure that can be fixed.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:45 AM

as long as its a good weld your fine.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As mentioned above it shouldnt be that big of a deal. I would do the same thing first before buying a new one.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

just because the drip is coming from the spot you pointed out..does not mean that is where the hole is.. unless you can see the hole there. It seems possible that there could be a hole under the protective plate and its making its way out at the point you suspect is leaking....
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

youre going to have to drop the oil pan to get a good weld on it anyway. Stop being a cheep skate and do it right the new oil pan cant be more than 150
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Clean er up and mighty putty that bish.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
youre going to have to drop the oil pan to get a good weld on it anyway. Stop being a cheep skate and do it right the new oil pan cant be more than 150
All he asked was if people thought if could be welded. If he wanted to buy a new oil pan he would have. I myself would not be paying $200 something just to fix something that might cost me $5 to get welded up. That's just common sense.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet

its not about being a "cheep skate" or else I'd pull some ricer ingenuity and JB weld the *****.. its the simple fact that I've bought a $2800 mig welder and wouldn't mind using it on a practical application. but thanks for your .02
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

i agree if you can DIY weld or you got hookup with a welder then go for it. oil pan isnt a load bearing part, i dont see why welding is being "cheap" if it stops a slight drip.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:37 AM

Once you pull the pan, you can see if there is in fact a problem in that area (looking from the inside). That protective plate may prevent you from finding the real problem from the outside. Steel is steel. Weld it, from the inside and sand it. Good to go, and you get to use your welder.

Is it a 220V welder?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You SHOULD pull it off and weld it from the inside. You pretty much have to. You're going to want to clean the area to be welded anyway. If you have all the stuff, weld'er up.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by tonyk
Once you pull the pan, you can see if there is in fact a problem in that area (looking from the inside). That protective plate may prevent you from finding the real problem from the outside. Steel is steel. Weld it, from the inside and sand it. Good to go, and you get to use your welder.

Is it a 220V welder?

..and thats what i fully intend on doing.. I guess I didnt make my opening question fully legible.. I am wondering if anyone has had a leak from that area and if so did they just patched it up

yes its 220v, its a millermatic 252
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by reklisss
..and thats what i fully intend on doing.. I guess I didnt make my opening question fully legible.. I am wondering if anyone has had a leak from that area and if so did they just patched it up

yes its 220v, its a millermatic 252
Millermatic 220v... nice.

Did you hit something on the plate that would cause a leak? Never had a problem when I had my IX.

Quick Reply: anyone weld their oil pan