Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best Battery

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red top ftw
Old Apr 3, 2011, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
boosted,
Yea you are correct reguarding in the trunk less heat the battery is exposed too the longer it should last. As far as number of batteries gone bad, look at other manufacturers and there parts, theres not one company whos built a part, that at least a hand full of customers have had a problem with one part or another. Unfortunately most manufacturers build parts to the best of there abilities, but some parts do go bad after leaving the assembly line. But considering 15-20 failures for the how many thousand of batteries produced a year, is not bad at all from a company standpoint. Why would I need a red top, because its a dry cell not like most batteries that require a dump tube on them relocated due to the heat built up in the battery box could cause the battery to malfunction or leak. Why buy a redtop if its overkill? Same reason why someone would buy an hta35r or bigger for a DD? overkill is better then realizing your parts arent up to par with your cars demands. Better to have too much, then not enough you know. But im comin up on almost 2 years with my battery no problems, knock on wood.
The 15-20 number is not in relation to how many they produce, it is how many I have personally seen fail.

Optimas are not dry cell batteries. Typically, spiral cell batteries typically do not last as long as standard batteries - whether it be automotive, marine, or small engine.

Standard batteries have vents to release pressure. If a battery leaks, it is likely do to manfunctions with the cells (causing extreme heat), not engine compartment heat.

As far as overkill, we are not talking about horsepower. To me, that has a completely different sense of worth. I mean, you could put a handle on the crank and start a 2.0l by hand! lol

Look, here is what I am getting at, setting aside my opinions on Optimas relatively short life: Optima Red Top battery for $200+ that provides at most 100 more CCAs than a premium battery for $90 that has a better warranty -recently Optimas do not even come with a pro-rated warranty...? Come on, half the price, better perks, same needed performance.

Lets just leave it at that, and that you will never find one under my hood, or trunk for that matter.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red top Optima. I have one in my DD.

Also, spiral wound are better for vibration. Like in lowered cars with aggressive suspensions. Anyway, Ferrari went with only Redtop Optimas from the factory in the Scuderia's so they can't be that bad of a battery.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

I have seen some Optimas go bad but i think they are good batteries. The problem is that they are so expensive and i simply believe they are not worth it. I have a regular Autocraft Gold battery in the trunk of my Evo. Its two years old and its never given me a problem. It was 90 bucks and it has a three year Free Replacement plus another 4 or 5 years prorated.

Would i ever get an Optima battery? Probably if i needed my battery to be a deep cycle (would have to be a yellow top).
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was in Advance Auto this winter for a battery. This, two years after the previous battery tested bad on a battery tester. So, I have to agree with boostedmkiii, it doesn't take much to start an Evo. A battery that tested bad two years ago was still starting mine. But then it started going dead if I parked the car for more than several days.

The salesperson at Advance was determined I was going to buy a premium battery (the Gold). Instead, I purchased a intermediate grade - plenty of battery for an Evo. The battery I have now has more cold cranking amps than what I used to run in my 403ci Firebird.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

running an east penn deka etx18L mini battery for 4 years, agm is nice 1/2 the weight
batteries plus sells a version also
was a Nisei prototype that never made it to market, but is nice
yes i live it socal back it was parked for 5 days at mammoth this December and started right up
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

I owned a DSM for eleven years but I never used a red top. DSMs would eat a regular battery every year. I don't know what it was about those cars but it got to where I would just buy a new battery every fall rather than waiting to be stranded. So, I think you should see why the red tops were quite popular within the DSM community.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Had an interstate for like 3 years and it died on me this winter. Now I have an Advanced Auto Gold.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a red top and works great so far. Had to use the spacer to raise up the battery and also trimmed by the positive terminal so the factory terminal harness fits flush and flat on the battery. Also, the cap fits much better after i trimmed it too. Don't have to do all that, but i'm a lil OCD.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well like i said to each there own man, people have reason why they will or wont buy a certain battery, like they will or wont buy certain parts from certain manufacturers. Me I like mine, it works good provides enough juice, for all my accesories, I cant complain, and afair, working as a service consultant, i was under the assumption and i read it in the interstate battery manual, that the optima red tops have 36 month free replacement warranty, and double checked it on there website. So you can roll with what u want, my car likes it and i like it so its all good. Worth every penny, whole idea behind my car build is overkill cuz having too much is never a bad thing.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

No, I was just pointing out that I continued to use a battery that tested toast two years ago - continued to use it until it started going dead on me. This battery went in my '03 after the OEM battery failed almost new. There's nothing wrong with the car.

I've nothing against people who like an expensive battery - just saying a cheap battery works fine in an Evo.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 01:55 PM

I bought the red top to install in my trunk. For obvious ambient temperatures and more room in the engine compartment.But I was unaware for the need to vent the battery. Optima should make this information more visible.
I also got this battery because my original lasted 4 years, I have never had any battery expire at 4 years. But i have near 400 hp for about 2 years so mabey heat was the culprit. And running 10kg/12kg springs I figure the red top is probably the best choice. I drive it every day in ct in all weather and temps and I think this battery cranks better at extra low temps with 15 feet of battery cables than with the oe battery up front did. I've been using this battery for six months and I am happy with it.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hands down. Odyssey Batteries are what all the extreme guys up here in Canada kill for. Warranty is simple. If its dead in 3 or 4 years. You get a new battery. None of that pro rata crap.

But... I have yet to see what fail. so far.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm, my new Bimmer 135 has the stock battery in it's trunk's spare tire well. I didn't notice any "vent" hoses. It's simply anchored to the floor unsealed...

BTW, how are you guys anchoring your batteries in trunk? Any use the spare tire well to place the battery?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spyderx
hmmm, my new Bimmer 135 has the stock battery in it's trunk's spare tire well. I didn't notice any "vent" hoses. It's simply anchored to the floor unsealed...

BTW, how are you guys anchoring your batteries in trunk? Any use the spare tire well to place the battery?
I would assume most of them either buy or make a relocation kit if they are putting their battery in their trunk. I'm considering doing the same thing since I have a pretty big amp/sub/speaker set-up.

And just in case anyone was wondering I currently have a Wal-Mart battery in my evo and it works just fine.

Quick Reply: Best Battery