Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New evo 8, intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New evo 8, intercooler question

Well I just picked up an evo 8 a couple days ago. The car is basically a moving catalog for Buscher down to every last detail. I use the car as a daily right now and had my first issue yesterday. My evo had a Buscher race core intercooler in it. I never even got to really check the car out when disaster struck. The previous owner thought it would be a good idea to hold an $800 intercooler on with a hose clamp and some pos home made 32nd aluminum bracket thing, don't even ask I could not believe it when I saw it. Any way the intercooler fell out of the car on the highway after hitting a bump, and is not pretty screwed. Nothing else got damaged but the ic. Now I have to run some pos temporary xspower deal untill I figure out what to do next. The end tanks on my buscher are still in good shape, would buscher be able to repair it, or am I just looking a buying a new ic?

The last owner kept his 35r as part of our deal and I just put a evo 9 turbo on it to have my daily running. Do I need a core like the buscher? I would think with the stock pea shooter turbo any ic would really work? Im not new to cars just evo's and the products. I did a search and found allot of info. Im not asking any one to compare buscher to xs, I know xs is dodo. Im just using the xs ic so I can drive my car, I need to drive every day with it. Im really asking If I could have my buscher fixed (cut off end tanks and weld to new core) or if I should just be looking at buying a new one.

Here is my race car, just so you get the idea that my evo is not in any way something Im looking to make ridiculous. I find it also helps a help thread when people have an idea of the owner of a car.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ot...oids-doom.html

Now with that being said my evo has a full buscher stage 3 engine(head and block optioned out), buscher tranny, shep t-case, buscher ic pipes, exedy tripple plate carbon clutch, kaaz diff in rear quaife in the front, and much more.

Im trying to provide as manny details related to my situation so I can get accurate help, sorry for being long winded. Thank to the community for all the help thus far through the search function.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:05 PM

I also forgot to mention that some one on craigs list has a slowboy racing ic similar in dimensions to my buscher. I have not really been able to come up with to much info on slowboy racing cores. The guy wants $300, does any one have any experience with this product?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you running pump gas or E85? If you're going to run E85 or push the stock turbo beyond 375ish whp than you'll need to be a bit more selective about what core you choose..
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brainiac
Are you running pump gas or E85? If you're going to run E85 or push the stock turbo beyond 375ish whp than you'll need to be a bit more selective about what core you choose..
Im going to run pump gas, and shoot for 320-330 on the evo 9 turbo. I also saw garrett has some nice looking units. Im going to do some research on those. The more I think about it my buscher is probably toast, and I don't think it would be worth it to save the end tanks and weld them to a new core. I do know you can buy garrett cores without end tanks. I might do that and weld my buscher end tanks on a garrett care. Does any one know what brand or core's buscher uses? I really hate the thought of having to run some random xspower at all. I have a straight stainless pipe taking my ic's place right now, no boost for me at the moment.

I track my cars also along with auto-x them. I know an xspower would be sufficient for tooling around town, but would most likely not be ideal for sustained boost like a lap around mid-ohio. On the other hand all my friends have cheapo-depo intercoolers and make wheel power in the 500's, on rotaries though. Who knows I guess? I kind of made this thread to sift through the large amount of info I read on this site.

Last edited by FDwarrior; Apr 2, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:24 PM

I also found a Turbonetics blank core. The fin design looks pretty serious even compared to my buscher. Im probably aiming at saving my end tanks and replacing the core part.