Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 won't crank over randomly

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVO 8 won't crank over randomly

the car runs really nice but the other day at a gas station , i went to start the car and nothing happens no cranking or anything i think i could hear my fuel pump priming or such but the actual engine did not crank over , I rolled the car a little bit and then it just fired up , then later I went to a friends and same issue the car would just not crank over , so i turned my lights on and tried and they didn't dim and the battery seems fine the stereo played fine and lights ok so , it just would not crank at all , so i actually roll started it in reverse and it fired right up and had no issue , now it has only happend 2 times and I'v been using it as my dd but am just curious what caused it caused it , I am thinking its the starter maybe it has a spot in it that it wont start from untill u crank it some how ? appreciate all help hope I searched forums and can't find others that actually dont crank at all so i hope i didnt violate any rules on this site thanks for help
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my car. In my case, the clip for the starter kept popping off. Mine wouldn't stay on good, so just zip tied it to the starter and it's been fine.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

a couple years back I had a problem with mine starting. I could hear the starter whirring, but the engine wasn't cranking. after removing it, I found that the two screws that hold the smaller actuator (that engages the starter) had backed out just a bit and the starter wasn't always engaging. after fixing it, not a problem since.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:11 PM

interesting thanks for the replies i'll have to take a closer look and see whats going on will post when i find out
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:57 PM

i had the same problem and for the life of me i couldnt figure it out so i took it in as warranty work... they told me the starter cable ground bolt had come loose and wasnt allowing a complete circuit... toasted the wire trying to start it. cost me more to tow it there than anything -.- good luck
Old Apr 7, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

also check the clutch activated pin switch on the top of the pedal cluster. Mine is starting to fail and sometimes I'll need to press teh clutch a couple times for it to activate the starter.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 08:30 PM

starter seems to be fine my mechanic helped me and cleaned the clutch switch and went over all connections and cleaned up everything and it seems to be good thanks for the replies and help pretty sure it was just the switch not exactly sure if he cleaned it or how but thats what he said he is from another country so can be hard to understand him lol but he does amazing work and he did it all for free i'v been going to him for years for every car i'v ever had and he always can fix it and for the best price so wish i could give better details on the fix