Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

buschur exhaust+hp numbers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Dan from Mach V did a dyno run with just the exhaust.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

what did he get?
Old Dec 19, 2003, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a chart:

Stock horsepower and torque was 221 hp/241 ft-lbs.

After intake and exhaust, 240.5 hp, 256 ft-lbs.

That's a full turbo-back, by the way, not just a cat-back. This was with the Buschur Racing muffler.

The tone on that muffler is totally fine from the driver's seat, in my opinion. If it's loud anywhere, it's outside, behind the car. Inside, I find it quite comfortable, definitely not headache-inducing. Standing behind the car, though, it's quite a bit louder.

Remember that different kinds of dynos read differently, and different dynos of the same brand can even read differently. I would recommend NOT comparing these dyno numbers directly with other vendors' dyno numbers, especially if they're not using an AWD Dynojet, because the comparison will not mean much. In any case, I'd be highly skeptical of places claiming 25 hp from just a cat-back. You're not going to find a straighter, freer-flowing exhaust than the Buschur Racing one.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:15 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
I would say also that since the remaining coressponding mods haven't been made on that dyno that there is more there to be had. Its kinda like you NEED to do a s-afc 2 , filter, turbo back and a manual boost controller set at 19 or 20 psi. I would bet (and actually think that on buschurs site it says something about this) that if you had those mods (since the computer needs help taking advantage of each mod in the upper list) that if you did the mods then pulled the exhaust and retuned it to stock you would loose 40+whp . Same goes opposite that if you had all the mods except a turbo back exhaust tuned and then added the tb exhaust and retuned you would see gains of 40+whp.
The intake system and ecu on this car affect performance negatively if modified without being able to take advantage of a/f adjustment. The only thing to do is either a drop in filter or the hks intake system. If not doing either of those buschurs is ok also (cheap filter though). I just think the people that spend $900 on a turboback and filter should drop $80 for a boost controller and $300 for a s-afc2 to really take advantage of the intake and exhaust .
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with evodave; when we installed the S-AFC after these mods, we gained another 30 whp.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

yeah thats what Im doing right now. I bought an aem intake, and am buying a turbo back 3 inch as well as the profec E-01 and emanage all at the same time and then tuning the car. That sould be good for a lot more power than stock.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on what gear was the pull on the dyno done ???
Old Dec 21, 2003, 06:08 PM

I have just installed the 3 inch turboback exhaust and it made a huge difference. It pulls hard all the way to redline. It also puts the power down much smoother. I was skeptical about how much power just a turboback exhaust would make. Let me tell you it is definately noticable. I would recommend this as the first mod done to your EVO. The sound with the windows down is incredible. It sounds like Higgan's SCCA pro rally car! Don't know if my car is out of the ordinary or not, but this exhaust totally eliminated the huge plume black smoke that used to come out of the tailpipe. Don't know how it could alter a/f ratios, but mine runs much cleaner and I get slightly better gas milage. Also, the light weight of the system improves your power to weight ratio.

Gumpy.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 09:24 PM
Account Disabled

I would never reccomend this as a 1st mod, 1st MODS should be a SAFCII or any type of tuning device to get the A/F's normal, then a MBC set to 20PSI all the way to the red, then a REAL BOV Vented back into the intake.

Then an Intake, and then the Exhaust. It'll add power, but no where NEAR as much as when you car is tuned.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

hey bussy. an safc doesnt really do that much if you have a stock car..
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

ment buddy. not bussy. was a typo
Old Dec 22, 2003, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by umiami80
I would never reccomend this as a 1st mod, 1st MODS should be a SAFCII or any type of tuning device to get the A/F's normal, then a MBC set to 20PSI all the way to the red, then a REAL BOV Vented back into the intake.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to turbo engines! I understand the need to lean the car out (hence the S-AFC II) and hold the boost to redline (hence the MBC). But doesn't an ECU reflash take care of both issues? I thought that was the point of reflashing the ECU.

Emre
Old Dec 22, 2003, 06:16 AM
Former Sponsor

when i just had
rmr intake cone, buschur 3' turbo back w/ no cat, boost controller set at 19psi, and safc i dynoed at 293whp....
Old Dec 22, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by umiami80

Then an Intake, and then the Exhaust. It'll add power, but no where NEAR as much as when you car is tuned.
I'd rather get my bolt-ons on before I started playing with tuning.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On what gear are the dyno runs done ?? 3rd or 4rd ???