Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is anyone getting shocked?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahahahha well shrinkage is only a prob when driving with the ladies. Plus driving naked with girls is a different issue. hehe
Old Nov 19, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok guys, it's not the carpet but rather the seats. Any cloth seat will do it. Getting shocked is a good thing if your about to fill up on gas.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

yup Im' gettin zapped almost every time.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by VtexGt3
hahahahha well shrinkage is only a prob when driving with the ladies. Plus driving naked with girls is a different issue. hehe

I don't know if i want my seats to be defilled like that...Do you know why women have legs?So they don't leave snail tracks...
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VtexGt3
to test this out you can drive around naked for about 5, 10 minutes in cold weather since thats when ppl tend to get shocked, come out and touch the door, you'll still get shocked.... by the way, do this in the middle of the night... and away from cops.. it tends to get weird when they pull you over and your naked...

You are the reason why product testing goes wrong. Dont lie, you really did do that.

SICKO.

Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

my car shocks the hell out of me... such an ungrateful bastard after all those frequent oil changes and premium fuel. I have never not been shocked when getting out.. so the other day i get out but dont touch the car.. i leave the door open and bend down the remove some crap from the mettler grate in the driveway so i can wash my car.. and i get shocked by the grate. Im sure my grounding kit doesnt help.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

hahahahaha i'm sure mits/recaro during the testing of our seats had one time or another had a naked person sit in it and drive around. but personally i wouldnt expose myself to my evo....even though it does shock the hell out of me everyday for the past 3 weeks..
Old Nov 20, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Lightning

Hey guys,
I believe Lightning travels from the ground up, So I think that would apply to static charge also, caused due to friction. So I definitely think it is has a lot to do with synthetic clothing and the seats, I have never heared about it so much with leather seats.
I am sure you all remember the deal about rubbing a balloon on your shirt and then making your hair stand on end as a kid, I do the same kind of thing now when I get in from work, I scoot my feet across the carpet and then pet the cats, they get zapped, couple of times I have got statically charged just from petting the cats, and I am assuming they get zapped worse than we do cause they have four points of contact touching the ground, where as we only have two.

Anyway as others have said, touch metal first and then place foot on the ground, or buy an anti-static strip.
Electricity will always find the path of least resistance (Human body). Thats why you should never fill up gas cans on the bed of a truck, the safety signs are there for a reason at gas stations, you should always discharge your self at the gas station make it a habit.
you'd be surprised how many people I see at gas stations in a severe lightning storms filling up.
Maybe someone should get in touch with Myth busters, Jaime and Adam and get them to run some test, although there has been a few things they have done that haven't been acurate.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and another thing

You guys are complaining about getting zapped.
you should try welding or Broco cutting underwater, I used to do commercial diving for a living, even though we would wear dishwashing latex gloves as insulators underneath diving gloves or welders gauntlets, all it would take is a pin hole in the glove and you get zapped all the time, try it with a fresh cut to your hand, all the energy seems to come out of the cut, feels just like someone digging a hot knife into the wound, it sucks.
You can even taste the fillings in your teeth, from the electricity arcing across your teeth, the maximum voltage we would use is 80 volts D.C. and 300-400 ampres for about a minute at a time (depleation of the cutting rod)
And before you say that is why divers get paid fat cash, I think you'll find that any Commercial diver you talk to is under paid and over worked, that big money no longer exists, which is why I no longer do it.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

It s the seats I tell you
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

every time i put my key in the ignition... argh...
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:46 PM

Ahh, so it's a little electricity keeps the heart pump'n and the blood thin.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

ok! lol... i was wondering about this myself! I get shocked every damn time too!