Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warranty voided because of aftermarket clutch

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2003, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All dealership service departments have personnel that submit their warranty claims to Mitsu for approval, so it largely depends on the dealership you use. If the dealer is a good dealer, they WILL get your car repaired under warranty, its all in how they submit the claim. Some dealers are very good and stand behind the cars they sell and their customers, others are not.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Ifits a wear and tear item (the clutch) that is not covered by warranty anyway, who are they to tell you what brand you can put on. Are they going to void it when you put different brake pads on, or a different muffler, and so on and so on.

Not just in this case, but mitsu's customer service is almost scary when dealing with warranty claims.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by simevo
If you mod your car and break it than why should Mitsu pay for it. I'm sorry but tranny and transfer case just don't break on its own. Now if you put in more power and do other mods and drive it hard than that's not Mitsu's fault that your car broke.
Time to grow up and take some responsibility for what you do and how you do it. I been driving for 14 years and have owned 6 different cars, bought brand new, and none of them had a problem. Only when I started to mod and drive it hard like street race, I found tranny and other problems, and these cars were not even close to 200hp.
Now with my Evo, I still drive it pretty hard but I kept it close to stock, only minor mods. I have 6k miles and even though I miss shifted, grinded some gears, and rev past 7k more than I have liked, it still drives great. But if my tranny does break, I know it's not all mitsu's fault since I drive pretty hard.
So please, own up to your mistakes and decisions that you have made to your car.
I don't defend anyone trying to get the manufacturer to pay for their mistakes, but I have to disagree. Some parts do break for through no fault of the owner. That's why there are warranties in the first place. To repair factory problems. Some items are assembled poorly. Why do you think some cars are ringers and otheres are dogs?

I have a seal in a joint on my driveshaft that broke and gear oil is leaking out. How in the world could I have caused that? It is a non flex joint. Should Mitsu not fix it because I have an exhaust on the car? What if i had a boost controller too? It still wouldn't be my fault, but you can bet that they would try to deny me service.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

I think that is correct, any wear items that are not covered under warranty can be replaced by any brand/manufactor part that you desire. That can be air filters, oil filters, mufflers, brake pads, clutch disc, tires, lubricants, etc. Replacing any of these parts with aftermarket parts cannot void your warranty. I would persue legal action without a doubt.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

My Evo is at the dealer right now having the transmission rebuilt. It had a problem with the 3rd gear syncro at 8700 miles.

The car is stock except for a cat-back exhaust. The service tech informed me that it was covered under warranty. No problem at all.

I also had them check the clutch while they were at it and the tech said it had about 2-3 thousand miles to go. This isn't covered under the warranty because it is a wear part.

I asked if I could provide them with the clutch and put it in, but was told by them that it would void the drivetrain warranty.

No problem, I just asked because I was curious having read abunch of these forums.

I'm paying for the clutch, but the labor is being handled by the warranty work on the trans.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

By law....they can NOT void your warranty because you installed a clutch....check your local laws and hire a lawyer!!! If anything at all....they could possibly void your drivetrain warranty. THAT'S IT!!
Old Dec 18, 2003, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

your replacing a wear item, which is not covered under warrenty...so it cannot void warrenty. If they want to be able to void a warrenty under replacing the clutch, then they need to warrenty the clutch. which by the millions of threads here, everyone knows they don't do. And MMCA put out a TSB/TT about not covering warrenty on clutches.

I'm having a twin disk put in my evo tomorrow. Bring up magnuson-moss act to them, if they don't know what it is.......talk to the service manager, and ask him.

There have been many threads on this.

I simply may just be dumb or i'm just lost, but the only thing would be is that the "aftermarket clutch" would/could cause higher stress on your drivertrain due to its increased grab. however i don't think, this is the case..
Old Dec 18, 2003, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by nastea
hrmm a clutch is a wear item isn't it? so how can it void a warrenty?
They can't void it unless they prove that it caused the failure, as previously posted above. If it had been an OEM clutch replacement, then they would be further investigating it, but they stopped as soon as they saw the aftermarket clutch because it's an "unknown" in the equation here. It's up to the owner to invoke his/her rights with aftermarket parts replacements when it comes to warranty claims, no dealership is going to voluntarily say, "Well let us look into this a bit further and spend some more money on what we already believe to be the problem."
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by simevo
If you mod your car and break it than why should Mitsu pay for it. I'm sorry but tranny and transfer case just don't break on its own. Now if you put in more power and do other mods and drive it hard than that's not Mitsu's fault that your car broke.
Time to grow up and take some responsibility for what you do and how you do it. I been driving for 14 years and have owned 6 different cars, bought brand new, and none of them had a problem. Only when I started to mod and drive it hard like street race, I found tranny and other problems, and these cars were not even close to 200hp.
Now with my Evo, I still drive it pretty hard but I kept it close to stock, only minor mods. I have 6k miles and even though I miss shifted, grinded some gears, and rev past 7k more than I have liked, it still drives great. But if my tranny does break, I know it's not all mitsu's fault since I drive pretty hard.
So please, own up to your mistakes and decisions that you have made to your car.
you say that now but let your car brake then you will not be saying that ill asure you i strongly disagree with you this was not my fault no launches on the car with the new clutch

Last edited by IgotaWhiteOne; Dec 18, 2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

A wear item can void your warranty. A clutch is supposed to give out before the transmission. Install a clutch that won't break and you'll stress the crap out of the rest of the drivetrain. Wow, $6000. I guess you can always hire an attorney at $300 an hour to try and prove it wasn't your fault a non OEM part installed by joe mechanic blew your tranny. Good luck, you'll need it.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

they just called me this morning saying that they might now cover it under warranty because they know i have alot of people i know on the inside so not it might get fixed if it doesnt well all hell brakes loose
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Why did your tranny break anyways, was it constantly grinding or somthing?

They are playing softball, saying they wont cover it. Have an lawyer call them. Contact Mits. North America.

Who said it wasnt going to be covered the service manager, or a regional Rep.?

They are just hoping that your Soft, and will pay their bill.
Dont be soft.
But then again you do have alot of mods staring them in thier face.

Best of Luck to ya.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

hewh... dam 6k.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Sano
Ifits a wear and tear item (the clutch) that is not covered by warranty anyway, who are they to tell you what brand you can put on. Are they going to void it when you put different brake pads on, or a different muffler, and so on and so on.
I agree with this, but the parts have to be rated as OEM replacements. If his clutch has a higher load then stock, it can't be considered that, and thus can't be covered under warranty.

Hey "IgotaWhiteOne" where are you? If you can disclose it, what dealership are you dealing with?
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

My local dealer said they will automatically void the drivetrain warantee by installing an aftermarket clutch. It's true. I guess by putting a stronger clutch may jeopardize the other drivetrain components and they dont want your bulletproof clutch surviving the abuse and they have to pay for all the other parts.

I wish Mitsu would offer an upgraded clutch and warantee it also. It may not be a twin disk or carbon, but we should have options.

If dealers really want to make money and offer employment, they should offer speed shops right on the premises, authorized by the factory and offer a wide variety of aftermarket parts, installed by them and waranteed. They would do a hell of a lot of business and probably sell more cars if potential buyers would have aftermarket support. It's just a matter of time before this will happen. The aftermarket business is worth billions and dealers and manufacturers are going to have to give in eventually.

My local Honda dealer already offers performance parts installed by them including, intakes, exhausts, lowering springs/coilovers, guages. Get with it Mitsubishi, dam it.

Quick Reply: Warranty voided because of aftermarket clutch