Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Warranty voided because of aftermarket clutch

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for that matter

For that matter, when I had my WRX, I could go get Subie Sti parts, and they would warranty the part. i.e. Flywheels, clutches, shifters, intercoolers, injectors, fuel pumps, bushings, cosmetics, etc...

What's interesting is most of these parts would fit the Impreza chassied cars. The TS, RS, WRX, and WRX Wagon.

Mitsu would be smart to do the same, and offer 'certified' performance parts.

BTW A LOT of Ralliart parts are sold direct from Mitsu. dealers in Japan, GB, and other places.

Later,

jcnel.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:08 PM

Ralliart isn't covered

I have specifically asked MMNA about Ralliart parts - they are not covered....funny though that they have a new car with the Ralliart name... Anyway, nothing that MMNA is doing makes sense to me....that about says it all.

Based on my reading of the MMA about after market parts. It does give the consumer the right to challenge a manufacturer when warranty is denied on an after market part. However, it is also loosely stated enough that a manufacturer can void warranties if the aftermarket parts have different specs from the factory parts (which is nearly always the case since the after market parts are suppose to correct shortcomings). In theory, they can void your engine warranty for putting on a non-Mitsu oil filter.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

It's pretty stupid that thet sell a Ralliart Lancer, but no parts except license plate frames and key chains. They sell a car like the Evo with lots of potential and expect every single one on the road to remain bone stock. Why did they ever bother to sell this car in the U.S.? Idiots. Wake the f*ck up, mitsubishi.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So whatever happened with this?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

im gonna end up paying for it they wont cover it
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

damn that sucks, mitsubishi is gay
Old Jan 3, 2004, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SinCityEvo
My local dealer said they will automatically void the drivetrain warantee by installing an aftermarket clutch. It's true. I guess by putting a stronger clutch may jeopardize the other drivetrain components and they dont want your bulletproof clutch surviving the abuse and they have to pay for all the other parts.

I wish Mitsu would offer an upgraded clutch and warantee it also. It may not be a twin disk or carbon, but we should have options.

If dealers really want to make money and offer employment, they should offer speed shops right on the premises, authorized by the factory and offer a wide variety of aftermarket parts, installed by them and waranteed. They would do a hell of a lot of business and probably sell more cars if potential buyers would have aftermarket support. It's just a matter of time before this will happen. The aftermarket business is worth billions and dealers and manufacturers are going to have to give in eventually.

My local Honda dealer already offers performance parts installed by them including, intakes, exhausts, lowering springs/coilovers, guages. Get with it Mitsubishi, dam it.
They did a similiar thing with DSM's with crankwalk. Cars with OEM or same rating were crankwalking but when a DSM came in that crankwalked with an aftermarket clutch they said it was due to the higher load pressure plate.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

ridiculous..... this is the first time I've heard of ANY car being denied because of a replaced wear item.....
Worst situation! Its a catch 22, if you use OEM clutches, you'll probably have to replace them at least every 15K, if you use an aftermarket, you have to worry about being voided.....

IgotaWhiteOne: How did they justify a wear item voiding your warranty?!
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:31 AM

I hate to be the only one to say this, but...

You should have to pay for the trans and transfer case.

YOU broke them.

Look, making more power with the 4G63 is so easy, that some of you seem to forget that there are real trade-offs to the situation. You installed an aftermarket clutch...that means more shock loading potential for the rest of the drivetrain. Plus you have several other mods on your car, so you can't honestly say you aren't launching the car, etc. This isn't rocket science. you broke the damn thing.

Let me repeat that:

YOU BROKE THE CAR!

when someone goes racing...and they have $30K to spend...they need to be shopping for cars in the $10-15K range. Why? Because a large portion of the cost of that activity is for items other than the vehicle. (Tires, brakes, engine rebuilds, etc.)

What you have essentially done is spend your last dime on the car and mods...and then you can't understand why you can't afford to stay in the game (this isn't racing, but tuning and driving your car as a hobby is the same situation). If you can't afford to repair what you destroy, then you shouldn't be modding and abusing.

If I sound a little pissed, it's because you are ruining things for the rest of us. Then when Mitsu does have something that is their fault (DSM crank walk, Evo8 5th gear syncros, etc.) they don't know whether it is a real design issue, or customers trying to beat on mustangs. OEMs look at the warranty data and try to determine if they have a problem, or just bad consumers. So many people trying to get Mitsubishi to repair things they broke is just stupid.

Grow up!
Old Jan 4, 2004, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

dont post on here *** if u have a problem i did not race the car so you grow up and shut up

Last edited by IgotaWhiteOne; Jan 4, 2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hey man. Sorry to hear you are having a bad experience with your dealership. They are not all as bad. I am having a good experience with the one that services my car.

I did a search on the Magnusson-Moss Act. You should really check into this to see if this can help you with your case. Here is one link of the search I did.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

Best of luck.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 08:28 PM

The clutch is probably designed to perform to within a certain tolerance threshold and then fail if it goes too far above it. As other people have said, the clutch is not as expensive and it's easier to replace than other more expensive and complex drivetrain components.

Toyota and Mazda seem to be at the head of in-house performance offerings that are covered under warranty in the U.S. with TRD and Mazdaspeed. Many of these companies have things that they warrantee in other countries as Mitsubishi does with Ralliart. They should get Ralliart to work with MMNA as this would provide them a sort of monopoly on performance parts sales for new cars since they will be the only parts that won't mess up your warrantee.

*I know Audi of America looks at the Audiworld forums sometimes (but never posts anything). Does anyone know if Mistubishi monitors this forum at all?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:32 PM

Wow, bad ending to that long read.....double sided sword I guess....I understand both sides of the story. My only gripe is the miles on these cars, and the almost catastrophic failures they incur regardless of the mods. To me, it would have to be an incorrect install for that situation to occur as stated.

If you are really pissed bro, pass the buck and crash the thing...you have insurance, don't you? Buy a ****ty little beater, and woops..........That is horrible, don't do that.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

That's some bull****, I'd take the car from them and send the transmission and transfer off to be rebuilt by a good shop. On my way out the door I'd tell them to **** themselves and cause as much trouble for them as I could just to spite their asses. The dealer I work at (non mitsu) will warranty pretty much anything as long as the aftermarket part didn't cause the problem with it. That's how it's supposed to be. Don't let them charge you 6k for something you could do for 2k.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow, way to necro-bump a 2 year old thread

Quick Reply: Warranty voided because of aftermarket clutch