Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car is getting no POWER... Help needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always negative first off last on so when you ground out the wrench it won't arc and burn your electrical system or blow the battery up in your face. Negative cable on the battery.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Always negative first off last on so when you ground out the wrench it won't arc and burn your electrical system or blow the battery up in your face. Negative cable on the battery.
Ok thanks... ill be sure to know next time.

Still havent found the problem. Had to take a break.

What could it be that is grounding out?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

The ground that connects to the tranny and runs down to the starter sparks whenever you have the battery connected.

What is causing that ground to spark/short? any info would be much appreciate it...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start small then go big. First check the battery. Take it to autozone and get it tested.

Check all wiring. Was there any work done recently? Did it just happen out of no where?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

You should just call a local machanic, my eclipse had a similar-ish problem, it would die after like 2hours of no use, then i got a new battery and still had the same problem. I wish i could remember what they replaced, anyway good luck
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
Start small then go big. First check the battery. Take it to autozone and get it tested.

Check all wiring. Was there any work done recently? Did it just happen out of no where?
Thats what we did, but now were kinda stuck.. dont know anything else to do.

Well we did the timing belt, turbo, was gonna change out the cams to some S3s but didnt know the valve springs requires special tools, intercooler /pipes, coilovers...

We never re-wired anything. Just disconnected what was in the way/needed to be disconnected then reconnected it.

Everything is connected that we know of.... we looked over everything im pretty sure.

It was weird since it crank over to prime the turbo(sensor behind the valve cover). Then we plugged it in and it idled fine and everything. Once we turned it off again the problem occured. You couldnt even turn on the headlights else the car would just lose all power. Had to reset the battery and we get power then when we tried again nothing no power.

We replaced the terminal, but that didnt work. Check fuses, swapped batteries, check connections, and thats about it.

We do know that the ground on the tranny is sparking whenever the battery is connected so i dont know where to look after that.

Sorry for the long post... just want my car to run
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MissoulaEvo
You should just call a local machanic, my eclipse had a similar-ish problem, it would die after like 2hours of no use, then i got a new battery and still had the same problem. I wish i could remember what they replaced, anyway good luck
Thats my last resort.

Its just crazy because i havent blown a fuse.

I dont know about a relay though, or maybe my ECU
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Don't think..

Originally Posted by LGshow19
The ground that connects to the tranny and runs down to the starter sparks whenever you have the battery connected.
...there is a ground wire going to the starter. The power cable going to the starter is pretty close to the turbo outlet is it possible that the two have met?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are getting a spark on a negative wire it is probably touching the positive wire that causes the problem. Everything on the car that is not wrapped in insulation should be negative, so negative wires won't spark. There should be a short where you see the spark.
Do the wires start getting hot? If everything is wired right a short will blow a fuse. Otherwise wires would melt and or the battery would lose its charge.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
...there is a ground wire going to the starter. The power cable going to the starter is pretty close to the turbo outlet is it possible that the two have met?
We disconnected the power from the starter and the ground on the tranny was still sparking.

I can't reset the battery anymore... My car gets no power what so ever. I don't know why I'm not getting no power when I reset the battery because before you could just reset the battery and there would be power, but when you try to crank or turn the ignition to the ON position it would just lose a power?!

How could I at least get power again? I mean I use to get the "door open" light on when I reset the battery, but now I don't get anything.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:21 AM

Have you drivin in a rain storm recently, like right before you parked the car? I had the same exact problem that you mentioned like 2 months ago. I still to this day have no idea where the problem started but, I let my car sit in the garage for a couple of days and it started right up. Somehow water got into some circuit causing the car to ground out right away and kill all electricity to the car. .....I also do not have an undertray on my car so water may have splashed up onto the starter area...any way good luck and hopefully you figure it out
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LGshow19
Thats what we did, but now were kinda stuck.. dont know anything else to do.

Well we did the timing belt, turbo, was gonna change out the cams to some S3s but didnt know the valve springs requires special tools, intercooler /pipes, coilovers...

We never re-wired anything. Just disconnected what was in the way/needed to be disconnected then reconnected it.

Everything is connected that we know of.... we looked over everything im pretty sure.

It was weird since it crank over to prime the turbo(sensor behind the valve cover). Then we plugged it in and it idled fine and everything. Once we turned it off again the problem occured. You couldnt even turn on the headlights else the car would just lose all power. Had to reset the battery and we get power then when we tried again nothing no power.

We replaced the terminal, but that didnt work. Check fuses, swapped batteries, check connections, and thats about it.

We do know that the ground on the tranny is sparking whenever the battery is connected so i dont know where to look after that.

Sorry for the long post... just want my car to run
..timin belt..turbo..ic pipes woudln't of affected electrical.. idk though..sounds like a loose wire is touching somewhere.... is there something you installed you are leaving out
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by icole
If you are getting a spark on a negative wire it is probably touching the positive wire that causes the problem. Everything on the car that is not wrapped in insulation should be negative, so negative wires won't spark. There should be a short where you see the spark.
Do the wires start getting hot? If everything is wired right a short will blow a fuse. Otherwise wires would melt and or the battery would lose its charge.
That makes sense and thats what we been doing.

We disconnected the power from the starter to see if the ground would still spark. The ground still sparked after we disconnected the power.

The Outlet pipe for the turbo was touching the rubber that covers the positive on the starter, but it wasnt metal on metal.

Where else could that ground on the tranny get power from?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e v o
Have you drivin in a rain storm recently, like right before you parked the car? I had the same exact problem that you mentioned like 2 months ago. I still to this day have no idea where the problem started but, I let my car sit in the garage for a couple of days and it started right up. Somehow water got into some circuit causing the car to ground out right away and kill all electricity to the car. .....I also do not have an undertray on my car so water may have splashed up onto the starter area...any way good luck and hopefully you figure it out
i too have no undertray but never experienced an issue with electrical and i drove threw rain stores..puddles snow storms and all...
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
..timin belt..turbo..ic pipes woudln't of affected electrical.. idk though..sounds like a loose wire is touching somewhere.... is there something you installed you are leaving out
Thats why i didnt mention those items since they have nothing to do with what is going on.

We never re-wired or anything of that nature.

Just installed everything the way it was suppose to be.

Its Crazy because it cranked to prime the turbo when the we had the crank sensor disconnected. Then we connected it to start the car and let it idle and it started up right away. We shut it off and started it back up a few minutes later and it started to have this problem.

Quick Reply: Car is getting no POWER... Help needed