Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Installation cost of replacing clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well see, when I purchased the car I took out this new car warranty thing from Geico, you guys should look into it, it's really dirt cheap for the advantages, according to them the clutch isn't a wear and tear item for the first 60,000 miles, which is the coverage mileage of the warranty. They consider tires, belts, hoses and brakes wear and tear, so they are replacing my clutch under warranty. Worked out a deal with them where they would pay me the cost of all of the factory parts and allow me to purchase the upgraded units that I will be using, and they pay the dealership the cost of all of the labor. Well according to all of the mechanics Geico consulted in Washington, they said that the job only required 5 1/2 hours but my dealership in Texas swears it's at least a 10 hour job so these two have been duking it out for about a week now about the hours. Now they finally settled on 8 hours but neither of the two are really happy about it and I will be left charged for 2 hours of labor more than likely, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mitsuorder
Well see, when I purchased the car I took out this new car warranty thing from Geico, you guys should look into it, it's really dirt cheap for the advantages, according to them the clutch isn't a wear and tear item for the first 60,000 miles, which is the coverage mileage of the warranty. They consider tires, belts, hoses and brakes wear and tear, so they are replacing my clutch under warranty. Worked out a deal with them where they would pay me the cost of all of the factory parts and allow me to purchase the upgraded units that I will be using, and they pay the dealership the cost of all of the labor. Well according to all of the mechanics Geico consulted in Washington, they said that the job only required 5 1/2 hours but my dealership in Texas swears it's at least a 10 hour job so these two have been duking it out for about a week now about the hours. Now they finally settled on 8 hours but neither of the two are really happy about it and I will be left charged for 2 hours of labor more than likely, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Man this sounds like a deal, I am going to check into this. Currently I have state farm, it is cheap but they doing have any warentee programs to help with coverage.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by GTVEVO

I talked to my Mitsu dealer and they stated that I could bring them the aftermarket clutch and the would put it in and my car will still have the same warentee and they will also warentee their work on the install so you will be at no loss. I am sure some dealers are different but if you talk to them you will know right away if they are willing to work with you or not but they would be crazy not too.

But the clutch its self is a wearible item like break pads so the actual clutch will not be just as the stock clutch is not. At least the rest of your warentee won't be shot to hell though. This also depends on your dealer.
Get it in WRITING.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by mitsuorder
Well see, when I purchased the car I took out this new car warranty thing from Geico, .
I just got off the phone with Geico. They are asking $14.60 for six months. The only requirement is if you bought the car new less than 11 months ago and have less than 11,000 miles. Seems almost too good to be true. They have very reasonable prices. Are always there as I just got off the phone with them at 3:35am on a Sunday morning. The only thing is they are cheap with claims as you can see from Mitsuorder's post. I currently pay less than $1,000 per year for full coverage.

Flybyevo...
Old Dec 21, 2003, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I pay $53/6 months for that coverage with Geico.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 02:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Thoe99
I pay $53/6 months for that coverage with Geico.
For me, at less than $30 per year, it doesn't make sense not to add this to my policy.

Flybyevo...
Old Dec 21, 2003, 08:29 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

IS that plan only available if you already are a Geico customer for their regular insurance?
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey guys, hope this helps, just tell them nothing about this forum, and as a pointer I would sit on this a while, about a month after signing up for it before you put in your claim, that way it doesn't look bad, good luck people, just had to share this.