Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thank you tuning companies, take heed to what I'm saying.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you tuning companies, take heed to what I'm saying.

I've decided that I can no longer tolerate this hobby. The customer service in the modification/service industry is absolute ****. This is where my emotions are going to end. I consider myself to be a fairly patient person and its like one shop after another is full of empty promises. I will not mention said shops name and I've even edited my signature to prevent assumptions.

I will say this to those part manufacturers and shops who tell customers that they are able to meet a deadline and completely miss it; just inform us as a customer. If something goes wrong let us know, but at the same time you need to fix it as soon as possible. Never have I ever been part of a hobby that requires tooling, machining, etc. of parts and there are multiple parties who COMPLETELY mess up. I've had my guns worked on and only one bad experience with a gunsmith who did everything in his power to correct the situation, including a free cleaning.

These shops take for granted the money that us customers spend. Calls are made and apologies are normally brief and meaningless; not to say there aren't good shops out there because there are. Some of the shops are given bad reps because of the screw ups of part manufacturers and vice versa. This industry is not permanent and while cars will always be around laws are becoming more strict to prevent modification, so you want to make your customer as happy as possible to make sure he/she keeps the love for the hobby.

With that said my tuning experience has put a bitter sweet taste in my mouth with the amount of time and excuses that companies involved have made. With deadline quotes being made and missed by weeks - months. I want out of the game. I don't want speed, I want to go back to luxury and slowness. I can 100% attribute my hate for this hobby to the overall customer service, lies, and expenses that comes along with it. I pay on time I want my parts on-time and service on-time that's all.

The car is going up for sale as soon as I figure how much it is worth and hopefully the next buyer will love and adore it. I say this to you tuning industry, if you want to keep customers around you better start treating them with respect. The new generation doesn't want Evo's, STi's, etc. they want hybrids. My need for speed has been killed by your need for greed. Keep screwing people eventually it will bite you in the ***.

That's my .02 cents and for those who still have love for the sport keep on boostin . I'm signing off.

Last edited by Boostfiend; Apr 25, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for your experience. Just know that for most this "hobby" is more like an addiction and you're complaints are being directed at the dealers and suppliers. For better or worse, they have the specialized knowledge and produce something others are not willing to do. Sometimes projected outcomes and schedules aren't or can't be met...that's just life. If you have the capacity to walk away and go back to slowness and luxury I admire it. Personally, I've been racing for decades and I've come to accept the fact that I am a speed freak. Therefore, unless I am willing and able to build or tune it myself I am at the mercy of those willing and/or able to do so.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled

I say that about the whole auto industry. i ordered my car nearly a month ago.. and the fact it arrived at the dealer this afternoon and still has days of work to be done before i pick it up with out the dealership even offering me a loaner car to drive while i wait. the dealer said a week to two weeks max. lol they've even said that if the car didn't arrive before the end of the month id have to fill out the paper work with no car in my hands. and i explained that was purely unacceptible and they would have to continue to offer me the same deal even if was not being offered anymore.

as for tuning parts aside from intakes and "chip"s ecu tunes thats about as much as engine modding i have experiance with. ive done suspension bushings and swaybars etc but thats something nearly everyone can do with hand tools. i dont know if i really trust tuner companys doing exhaust / heavy tuning etc quite yet. i have a close network of friends in our local Auto x club rdscc whom i've been talking with about who to take my parts to etc. so we'll see how things turn out with the evo..
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Car's are a hobby and a very intricate one at that; much more so than personal firearms. There are many variables that come into modifying a car and there are always risks as well. You will also run into people/shops who claim to be professionals and really aren't but those types are everywhere in every business and hobby and are commonly referred to as crooks. I have found from years in the hobby of cars that patience and determination are the things that you must have.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
If you do everything yourself, you will not have to wait so long on others.

Last edited by DSMolition; Apr 26, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

this is a worthless thread unless you name the shop(s) you're speaking of. I don't understand the reason to stand on a soap box and preach about promisses and missed dealines, but not call out who you are talking about. if you really cared about the community, as I assumed by your 'warning' thread, you would let us know who you've dealt with that didn't stand behind their word so other don't have to follow in your footsteps.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMolition
If you do everything yourself you don't have to wait on others.
that is the most inefficient statement i have ever heard. Economics 101 sir go buy a book.

I feel your pain, but again as atxMR said, we are speed freaks and will do anything to go fast. But when the problem is other people, it's hard to justify the costs.

^^and look at how alwaysboost is doing it. Haha I will never be going to Oake's Detailing haha

Last edited by PKEVO8; Apr 26, 2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
The OP needs a Hug......it's ok to feel the way you feel but it's Life, every thing you want is not going to be at your time, Patience is the Big Play!!!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

it just goes back to the old saying, if you want it done right the first time and not half-assed, you gotta do it yourself
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:47 AM

man i feel ya on this and to those of you that say " op needs a hug and get over it thats life" your post keep to yourself. this guy has had multi bad experiences and fellow owners say get over it thats bs. lets say a company looks at this post and see's this guy's message and then sees thats no one is on the same boat, they arent going to change how they threat people. all im saying is have a little sympathy for the guy hes out of the game b/c no one will speak up and say enoughs enough.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

names!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Man I can vouch for your every word. I've been in the Evo game for 3,5 years now and your post stole the words from my mouth. Well my conclusion is a bit different than yours I still have the evo and if I sell only to get another one that already built or never touch the motor\turbo. Out of 5 big visits to the local shops\tuners I only had one success story all other ones were complete mess with deadlines (worst story last year my car spend 2,5 month at the reputable tuners garage and after two attempts to fix it I still had exhaust leaks) and price was always off $500 to a $1000. Since than I had zero mods s to my car I'm done with tuning world as well.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
this is a worthless thread unless you name the shop(s) you're speaking of. I don't understand the reason to stand on a soap box and preach about promisses and missed dealines, but not call out who you are talking about. if you really cared about the community, as I assumed by your 'warning' thread, you would let us know who you've dealt with that didn't stand behind their word so other don't have to follow in your footsteps.
this, 100%. all we hear is complain, complain, complain, and then we don't even know who you're complaining about.

would you be happy if after this, your friend went 'hey remember when my car got messed up at that shop? yea it was the same place you took your car but i didnt want to tell you because i didnt want to clal them out or hurt their rep'. i bet you'd be pissed after that also.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

I know how your feeling. I just recently sold my car. Out of the 2.5 years I owned it, I drove it for maybe a total of two months. It went to numerous shops, and numerous setups because things weren't machined properly, weren't installed properly, or the product was just sh*t. I was under the impression that, if I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars with your shop, I'm probably going to get decent service. I used to own a foxbody, and the service I received from companies with that car blew the evo community out of the water.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
this, 100%. all we hear is complain, complain, complain, and then we don't even know who you're complaining about.

would you be happy if after this, your friend went 'hey remember when my car got messed up at that shop? yea it was the same place you took your car but i didnt want to tell you because i didnt want to clal them out or hurt their rep'. i bet you'd be pissed after that also.
Here is the list:
Bad experience:
JNZ Tuning (messed up deadlines, messed up cams install by breaking locking washer on the crank bolt, had to replace crank angle sensor 3 month later)
Evo8dad had my car in his garage for 2,5 month and could not fix exhaust leak that appeared after his work was complete, on top of that messed up deadlines countless times

Good Experience:
Petey Turbo from KrAzY house customs

Neutral: Bought new clutch from one of the vendors and received a used one instead. Everything got ugly for a moment but was sorted out.

Quick Reply: Thank you tuning companies, take heed to what I'm saying.