Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo will not start...need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo will not start...need help/advice

Aright guys heres the scenario, I have an 03 Evo, and the car can only be started by push starting it! What happens is when I go to turn the key, all the lights on the dash, radio, all power comes on...but the car will not even attempt to turn over. This has been an on going and progressing problem, a few weeks back I would be able to turn the key and eventually the car would start...now it doesnt at all. I just changed my starter on the car yesterday and its still doing the same thing! I tried following the ground from the starter around the car but it looks pretty normal. I am now thinking maybe a clutch ground wire?

The only other thing I believe may be part cause of whats happening is the previous owner relocated the battery to the trunk, im wondering if somewhere within that relocated something messed up. But again I get all power to car, radio, lights, dash, and once the car is pop started it will stay running...it just will not start by turning the key! I need to solve this issue, please and thank you for any help!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

check the clutch switch located on the pedal cluster... if it goes bad, which happens, you will have the problems you described.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

By pedal cluster you mean under or behind the pedals? What does the switch look like?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

its a pin/micro switch, not sure the exact term for it. if you are laying on your back under the dash just press the clutch pedal down all the way and you'll see a switch that it contacts at the top of the pedal cluster, that is the switch I'm talking about. MIne is beginning to go bad and I need to sometimes press teh clutch a couple of times for it to activate the starter solenoid. if you unhook it completely I believe it will let you start the car w/o pushing the clutch in...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a test light on the starter solenoid. Try to start, if it lights you had a bad solenoid. If it doesnt then the ECU is not sending the signal to start. Most likely clutch sensor.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
its a pin/micro switch, not sure the exact term for it. if you are laying on your back under the dash just press the clutch pedal down all the way and you'll see a switch that it contacts at the top of the pedal cluster, that is the switch I'm talking about. MIne is beginning to go bad and I need to sometimes press teh clutch a couple of times for it to activate the starter solenoid. if you unhook it completely I believe it will let you start the car w/o pushing the clutch in...

I tried this and it did not work. Car would not start. Maybe sensor that its connected to? I even tried pressing the little pin that the clutch pedals presses in and turn key and got nothing.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

try to bypass the switch and see f it will start
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:21 PM

This might sound really stupid , but I went through the same exact problem a week ago. All the lights came on and barely started every now and then until it just went to nothing . I changed the starter and nothing still. I never thought to check the battery because of the lights turning on still, but turned out to be the battery being junk. Have you checked yours with a volt meter yet? Could be this even with the lights coming on. Test it and see buddy , maybe it will be that. Other then that, I don't know !! I would say clutch pedal switch too , but if it starts sometimes I don't think it would be that, but i could definitely be wrong . Good luck bro!!!! Let me know how it goes !
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
I tried this and it did not work. Car would not start. Maybe sensor that its connected to? I even tried pressing the little pin that the clutch pedals presses in and turn key and got nothing.
if the switch is bad pressing it with your hand won't do anything. did you try unplugging it and starting the car?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Disconnect the two wires from the clutch switch and jumped both of them together.If it starts then you have a bad switch.GL
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

can be ignition switch too.......i believe the clutch switch is just a ground. you dont even need to have the clutch switch plugged in to start the car. the ignition switch wires to the starter, do you know the little black wire that snaps to the starter? thats wired directly to the ignition switch. and if the ignition switch is faulty, the starter isnt going to get the full voltage to push the starter. this is the problem i just fixed on my 03 VIII 145k mi. the ignition switch cost me $60 from mitsu dealership. this might not be the case with your car but, its worth a try. see if one of your evo buddys will let you borrow their ignition switch to trouble shoot the switch first. hopefully this info can help you. good luck!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by korpzjuggalo
This might sound really stupid , but I went through the same exact problem a week ago. All the lights came on and barely started every now and then until it just went to nothing . I changed the starter and nothing still. I never thought to check the battery because of the lights turning on still, but turned out to be the battery being junk. Have you checked yours with a volt meter yet? Could be this even with the lights coming on. Test it and see buddy , maybe it will be that. Other then that, I don't know !! I would say clutch pedal switch too , but if it starts sometimes I don't think it would be that, but i could definitely be wrong . Good luck bro!!!! Let me know how it goes !
When I first read the initial post I thought it was just going to be a battery. It doesn't sound like a starter to me at all. Almost every car that had a bad battery that i've had would still turn on everything inside.. Just because it turns on the lights means nothing. Hook up the car to jumper cables just incase and see if that works. If not, then it has something to do with the clutch sensor..
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Put a volt meter across the battery and have someone turn the key to start. If the voltage drops to 9.x volts the starter is getting power and the starter is bad. If no change then something is wrong with your wiring, clutch switch, ignition switch.
Old May 3, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

whats the verdict?
Old May 5, 2011, 06:31 PM

Sounds like a starter

Quick Reply: Evo will not start...need help/advice