Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying an EVO, have questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying an EVO, have questions

Fellow Mitsubisher's, I am looking to get an Evo and have a question about getting a good deal. At a local dealer, there is one EVO left that they are trying to get rid of. As the former test drive car it has ~300 miles on it. I think the car might have been previously titled as several months ago I was told that it was sold and apparently brought back (they only had 1 red evo and now its back on the lot). I went to the dealership today and the dealer he was willing to go invoice. Now, according to KBB.com the basic invoice on the EVO is 26,891.47. I was thinking about offering 26k since the car has some test miles on it. It appears that the car was driven hard as i see some wear on all four tires which might also justify my offer. The car has been on the lot since last summer and the guy really wants to sell it. I just want to know if this sounds reasonable at all. I don't know how the car dealership buisness works other than a lot of them seem like crooks. Also, I have an 00 eclipse that I'm wanting to sell if I get the EVO. The resale value on this car blows Ideally I'd like to get at least 10-11 k for it (its modded) but I know the dealership would offer way less. Is there any chance that they might offer me more than KBB for it if I say that I won't buy the EVO? I know I'll really never know unless I try but I just want to get others opinions before I get laughed at
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your paying invoice for the EVO, you cant expect to get retail for your trade-in. KBB at Fair condition is what you can expect them to offer. Selling modded cars privately sucks.

If you do pick up this EVO, have them change the oil and rotate the tires for Free before you drive it home or throw the first one in for FREE.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

In Southern California, new one is already at invoice i believe. do a search on price search or read the top thread "Dealer MSRP" start reading it from the END of the thread.. it might give u a better idea on the pricing...

If i were u.. i would offer no more than $25000+tax+licn... but it's just me....

what other option does the car has??
Old Dec 20, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by bcmind
In Southern California, new one is already at invoice i believe. do a search on price search or read the top thread "Dealer MSRP" start reading it from the END of the thread.. it might give u a better idea on the pricing...

If i were u.. i would offer no more than $25000+tax+licn... but it's just me....

what other option does the car has??
It's got the cf spoiler and sunroof, i guess that makes it fully loaded. I don't really care about how much I pay for the evo or how much they might give me for the car as long as the difference is roughly 14-15k. I think it might be a stretch which is why I'm asking for opinions.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Kachur
if your paying invoice for the EVO, you cant expect to get retail for your trade-in. KBB at Fair condition is what you can expect them to offer. Selling modded cars privately sucks.

If you do pick up this EVO, have them change the oil and rotate the tires for Free before you drive it home or throw the first one in for FREE.
I thought I would be better off selling a modded car privately. Usually dealers penalize for modded cars. Mine isn't heavlily modded (wheels, tires, suspension, exhaust, and intake) . I guess it might be best to convert it back to stock and go from there.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a cut and paste off of the web site:

6-CD In-dash Changer $ 486

Air Dam $ 231

Brake Cooling Air Guides $ 149

Car Cover - JDM $ 216

Cargo Net $ 29

Floor Mats $ 56

Door Sill Scuff Plate Kit $ 92

Sunshade $ 64

Strut Tower Brace - Front $ 422

Strut Tower Brace - Rear $ 385

Hyperground Cables $ 219

Instrument Cluster Surround $ 75

License Plate Frame $ 29

Nose Mask $ 147

Shift Knob $ 113

Parking Grip Brake $ 224 (plus labor)

Side Window Air Deflectors $ 84

Sports Meter Kit $ 464 (plus labor and parts)

Sports Pedal Set $ 76 (plus labor)

Wheel Locks $ 25

So the car is not fully loaded
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't buy the test car
A few thousand more will get you a brand new one and I also read about the $1000 loyalty offer towards the EVO for people who have a car so I guess that applies to you
Old Dec 20, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by KavMan
I wouldn't buy the test car
A few thousand more will get you a brand new one and I also read about the $1000 loyalty offer towards the EVO for people who have a car so I guess that applies to you
they only have this 1 evo left. he didn't mention the loyalty offer, i'm gonna have to check that one out
Old Dec 21, 2003, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

300 miles?! LOL!, I denied a Black Evo with 14 miles on it today. Shows just how **** I am about this stuff
Old Dec 21, 2003, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't buy that car for $26K. You'd be much better off buying a used one (which is what that demo car is) from someone who bought the car with minimal test miles, broke it in gently and then drove it normally for 1K-3K miles. How can you know someone's being honest about how they've treated a car? You can't 100%, but I'd rather buy a car from someone that I've met and seems believable, than from a dealer where you really have no idea about the car's driving history. Plus, the private deal is probably going to be only around $23-24K at today's prices.