Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Early Model Evos

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early Model Evos

In New Zealand we have a heap of every version of evo there is but I don't see much about the earlier models on here. So I'm interested to hear about any evo 1 - 6. I have driven every evo except 8 and 10 and IMO they are all great. Evo 1 was a real experience to drive, no electric windows or any over the top accessories, a real driver's car.

So what are your thoughts on the early evos?
Old May 9, 2011, 08:24 AM

I'd sell/trade my VIII for a VI Tomi Makinen edition in an instant!
Old May 9, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those of us in the US don't really have a chance to see any of the early (pre-VIII) models in person. That being said, I still think the IX is the best looking Evo out of them all. The VI is a badass car through... probably my favorite of the earlier Evo's.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:06 AM

Early evo's (1-3) are very similar to DSM (Eclipse/Talon/Laser) here in the states.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
So what are your thoughts on the early evos?
Very,very nice......

Mine is a GSR and I'm very surprised on how modern it feels.It has everything you need.....power windows,remote locking,auto climate control,anti-lock brakes,etc,etc....

Even at 17 years old I have no problem with it as my daily driver.

"Our" X (it was mine before SHE claimed it one snow storm) corners and brakes better,but the II is close.....straight line the II can hold its own.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:54 AM

Car's have become so big over the years.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the older models feel more "torquey" before boost kicks in?

I always wondered with such light curb weights, what the off boost throttle response feels like. I've never been in anything older than an 8 .

But I did gut my Mustang Cobra down to 2700lbs with a 32 valve 4.6 V8. That thing was a Go-Kart for sure but the solid rear still ruined the fun. I wondered what an Evo of similar weight would feel like.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Onizuka
I'd sell/trade my VIII for a VI Tomi Makinen edition in an instant!
I was looking for one of those when I bought my IX, I wanted one because of the limited numbers. I decided that I would need a newer car than a VI TME in a few years so I may as well get a IX wagon (also built in limited numbers). The TMEs here go for around 20k - 25k NZ$ which is about 16k - 20k US$.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic

I always wondered with such light curb weights, what the off boost throttle response feels like. I've never been in anything older than an 8 .

But I did gut my Mustang Cobra down to 2700lbs with a 32 valve 4.6 V8. That thing was a Go-Kart for sure but the solid rear still ruined the fun. I wondered what an Evo of similar weight would feel like.
The older ones were definitely better off the line than the new ones (if you don't launch). They didn't rely on the turbo for power/torque as much as the new ones. Evo 1 stock is about 12 psi (i think, could even be a little less) compared to IXs which can reach 20 psi without boost controller or tune.

Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure the Evo II RS is the lightest homologated 4WD turbo ever mass produced. The other models of early evos didn't go much over 2500lbs, until they built the IV anyway.
Old May 10, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
Yup.Light weight and really nice gear ratios make it feel like it has way more grunt than what it actually does.

Its very nimble.
Old May 10, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
Evo 1 stock is about 12 psi (i think, could even be a little less) compared to IXs which can reach 20 psi without boost controller or tune.
Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure the Evo II RS is the lightest homologated 4WD turbo ever mass produced.
0.7bar stock.

The RS model was just over 2600LBS,the GSR was about 2750LBS(roughly).
Old May 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, 2600 lbs is LIGHT. Most of us have 3000 lbs+ even with weight reduction. I can't imagine how controllable the car would be at that weight.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by targa ten
0.7bar stock.

The RS model was just over 2600LBS,the GSR was about 2750LBS(roughly).
0.7 bar comes out between 10 and 11 psi so it's a bit over half what the newer evos are pushing.

I did quote the wrong weights sorry (converting kg to lb, my bad).

Hopefully coming soon a picture of a 1990 Galant VR4, which we (I'm not sure if any other countries do as well) call an Evo Zero, the evo before there were evos. I'm waiting for a mate to email a pic of his one, which has been modded to 320kw atw (around 430 whp).
Old May 11, 2011, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

I've had a ride in an Evo 6.5 TME, and it was pretty great. Even though it has less power than our 7/8/9's, the lighter weight more than made up for it. It felt quicker than my stock 9, at any rate.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Wow, 2600 lbs is LIGHT. Most of us have 3000 lbs+ even with weight reduction. I can't imagine how controllable the car would be at that weight.
Insane how light they are for an all wheel drive turbo isn't it?

Thats why I bought one for Targa Newfoundland,proven drivetrain,light weight......