Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Too much HP?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 12:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrettMR
this is what I tell the lady "its better than spending money on strippers and whiskey"
Quoted for the truth! I first bought my car with 388whp which was amazing, for about two months. Then I took it apart and rebuilt the entire drive train. Now I should be around 550whp in the most reliable way ever. When I get bored of that, I'll buy a bigger turbo. lol
Old May 5, 2010, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

^thats right! it's an addiction and u always have to keep going!
Old May 5, 2010, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

It's funny I should say this being that I am rockin a little over 300whp/tq, which I actually find quite fitting for my level of street-douchery, but think about it like this...

How many women are on here? Not saying women don't get this vibe as well, but men are pretty damn known for it... that "bragging rights" vibe... fill in the blank... "my dick is bigger than yours", "i can drink harder than you", "i've had sex with more women"... the same stuff that drives that locker room mentale is the same stuff that drives this.... why smoke a joint when you can smoke a garbage bag full, ya know? Hahaha!

Tell you the truth... I think it is AWESOME! Keep the craziness coming... it's inspiring, it's, motivating, it's good forum ammo. hahaha
Old May 5, 2010, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

I crave speed. Thats why most of us get these cars, right? I can handle the power on the street. U just cant be a dumb*** about it.
Old May 5, 2010, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I love Speed 400 for me is just plenty to do whatever i want except autocross but phne to drive!
Old May 5, 2010, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xcelr8
I crave speed. Thats why most of us get these cars, right? I can handle the power on the street. U just cant be a dumb*** about it.
well said
Old May 5, 2010, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Having that much horsepower, 400+, is worth it when you poop on 50,000 to 85,000 dollar sports cars..... S4's, M3's, etc.....
Old May 5, 2010, 10:01 AM

The amount of hp you set you're goal to really depends on the driver. I personally wouldn't want to get to the point where i have so much hp, i can't use it as a dd. I wanna enjoy my car on and off the track.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedlimit
I don't believe there are more than a couple cars with that kind of real HP running around. Only a very very few have ever driven a car with that kind of power and actually understand the reliablity and longivity of 4 banger motors and AWD drivetrains producing those kind of numbers. Once you start modding your car you start breaking it! I would bet a virtual beer that 95% of owners are quite happy with 300 to 350 hp.

Dave Buschur made a decision not to make his EVO a drag car out of the respect for the incredible handling and performance of the entire EVO package. If it is good enough for a professional racer........ good enough for me.

Speedlimit...
Pretty funny how the times change.

Last edited by SyZyGy1394; May 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 5StarSuzuki
The reason why...

FUN!

The stock Evo or even mine (265whp) has no "*****." It's just a lot of fun to drive a car thats sickeningly fast. But you need about 400whp in an evo to get that effect. It's not that expensive either...so why not!

And...
I don't drink
I don't smoke
I don't do drugs...
The LEAST I can do is break the speedlimit on a daily basis!
You sound exactly like me. Very straight edge, just like to drive fast.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:02 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 5StarSuzuki
But you need about 400whp in an evo to get that effect. It's not that expensive either...so why not!
That's an excellent point. There are reasons "why not." To get to 400whp (pump on a MD) compromises have to be made. There's no way around it. Reliability, drivability, longevity are all impacted by the mods. This is where one makes a choice. Does he want an Evo with better than stock drivability, a street-friendly powerband, all in a car that's reliable to a fault, or is he willing to make allowances for the added power? Some folks choose the former. There's no free lunch.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:13 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Sometimes I miss being able to redline 1st, 2nd, and 3rd while still being under the speed limit. My evo has been stock (performance-wise) since new because it has more than enough power for me on the streets. I'll take a broad power band over 2k rpms worth of useable power in the top end.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:45 PM

i use mine as a DD with no problems! Like its been said before, Its fun as h3ll whooping on the big V-8's and crotch rockets when they pull up next to you and think, i got this guy and his POS 4 banger!!!! Seeing them turn off or there face at the next stop and go light after they are looking at your taillights the whole way as you pull away from them is PRICELESSSSSSSS!!!!!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jason900rr
i use mine as a DD with no problems! Like its been said before, Its fun as h3ll whooping on the big V-8's and crotch rockets when they pull up next to you and think, i got this guy and his POS 4 banger!!!! Seeing them turn off or there face at the next stop and go light after they are looking at your taillights the whole way as you pull away from them is PRICELESSSSSSSS!!!!!
Ever had the muscle car guys pull up next to you and you can see the driver and passenger going back and forth laughing at your silly wing on a 4 door sedan, to then later see the same two people jaws dropped in a dead stare as you just smoked their big block V8 at the next intersection? That alone IS priceless!

(And I don't even drag my car, RR'er for life.)
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well for me. Driving a car at 430+ whp on the street is like driving any other evo on the street. As long as you are driving like a calm, sane human being, then it will not give you any trouble. The only time I use all the power is accelerating onto the freeway or just having fun when it's safe. Just having the power on tap is fine for someone that doesn't drive like an idiot.

However if you are one of those people constantly getting speeding tickets and constantly mashing everywhere, then 430whp may be very bad for you and your wallet.