Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking to trade my STi for an EVO. Any specifics to look for?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to trade my STi for an EVO. Any specifics to look for?

Hey guys, this is my first post here, but I've been a lurker since 2009. I've had my 2004 STi for 2 years now, and I'm considering trading it for an EVO.

I'm just curious to know if there's any specific things I should look for/look out for. I've never had a Mitsubishi before, so any input would be great.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are the same as any AWD car. Look for signs the transmission, clutch or transfercase is on its way out. Do you due dilligence before hand (car fax, etc), walk around the car looking for different colored panels possible damage.
Hard to find a Evo that hasn't been modified and reverted back to stock. Just pray it was a decent job and nothing was hacked up.

And good luck. Welcome to the family.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
They are the same as any AWD car. Look for signs the transmission, clutch or transfercase is on its way out. Do you due dilligence before hand (car fax, etc), walk around the car looking for different colored panels possible damage.
Hard to find a Evo that hasn't been modified and reverted back to stock. Just pray it was a decent job and nothing was hacked up.

And good luck. Welcome to the family.
Cool man, I appreciate the input so far. Yea when I got the STi I made sure to look for all the obvious things. Thankfully the guy I got it from was really nice and up front about everything. So no odd-ball things specific to EVO's that I should be on the look out for?
Old May 13, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pretty much what he said above also make sure you have like 2-4 thousand saved up for the random errors which comes with the territory of buying a used evo you never know what it might need up front clutch new turbo etc.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:26 PM

Sounds pretty simple then, honestly. I love my STi, but I'm just kinda ready for a change, ya know? Its nice to hear there's no really weird issues to look out for. Like on the e36 M3's some years the rear strut mounts liked to tear apart from the rest of the car.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

your biggest concern is missing bolts and the transmission and transfer case whine want to make sure none of that is going on
Old May 13, 2011, 05:00 PM

Ha wow, missing bolts? I wouldn't mind trading for one with some stuff done to it, but I'm guessing you mean missing bolts like on the head to exhaust manifold, or on the turbo to downpipe? Basically anything that may have been moded at one point, then put back to stock.

I'm used to my transmission making some whine, but in a Subaru its normal. Thanks for that tip.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soon2brb240
Hey guys, this is my first post here, but I've been a lurker since 2009. I've had my 2004 STi for 2 years now, and I'm considering trading it for an EVO.

I'm just curious to know if there's any specific things I should look for/look out for. I've never had a Mitsubishi before, so any input would be great.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html
Old May 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Dont do it unless you dont mind going fast and want to save some money on upgrades homie!
Old May 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

cool you from Michigan, lets see some pics of the STi...btw get an evo and you would never look back
Old May 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soon2brb240
Ha wow, missing bolts? I wouldn't mind trading for one with some stuff done to it, but I'm guessing you mean missing bolts like on the head to exhaust manifold, or on the turbo to downpipe? Basically anything that may have been moded at one point, then put back to stock.

I'm used to my transmission making some whine, but in a Subaru its normal. Thanks for that tip.
yes my evo had several missing bolts example the downpipe only had one spring bolt period cat was not even bolted on properly etc. have to look it over really good as well as drive it in and out of boost. if you can get it done make sure you do a compression/leakdown test.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Check the condition of the drivetrain as everyone else said, if there is difficulty selecting gears, loud whining from the transfer case, or slipping clutch you need to be prepared to repair/replace parts and should negotiate with the seller. Depending on the availability and miles it might be worthwhile to do a compression test on the motor. Get a Carfax for accidents and service history. I got my Evo used and the Carfax had all of the oil change records. If any modifications have been made to the suspension take a look at the struts and see if there is residue from them leaking. The seller of my car lived in PA which has the worst roads imaginable and ran Tein S. Tech springs on the stock struts and blew them out. I didn't really care because I intended to replace them with coilovers, but its worth looking for.

Check the various body panels for paint changes, chips/flaking etc. The Mitsu paint is notoriously thin. Check the wheels for any bends/folds that could cause them to lose air.

Since you are coming from another AWD turbo car you will recognize the sounds of any major components on the way out. My car had a failed OEM BPV when I got it, so it had major compressor surge. Just go in with your eyes open and keep in mind -most- Evo's have been modified and reverted to stock to sell.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Also, if you buy an Evo from a guy on any forum, look up their posts to see if they talked about drifting it or something stupid that might cause excessive wear.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Also, if you buy an Evo from a guy on any forum, look up their posts to see if they talked about drifting it or something stupid that might cause excessive wear.
Its good to look at their threads or postings, but its hard to have an evo and not get on it, who ever says so its straight up lying. I dont know about drifting but a lot of us do get on our cars here and there, thats the enjoyment of having a performance car. What it comes down to is keeping up with the maintenance and so the wear and tear is to the minimum. Every used car has wear and tear on it, wheather is visible or not, its just finding the one that has been maintained properly at the same time.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:24 PM

Haha, yea I always look up the posts by people I'd be interested in trading with. Well it doesn't sound like anything major I couldn't spot pretty quickly. I actually intend on doing some fuel system upgrades, catless exhaust and some other simple mods - then get a tune on e85. My brother has an 08 WRX and he's got a stock turbo from an 08+ STi with some other mods, and he's tuned on e85. Made 360/443 on a dynojet. I'm certain I could do better if I do get an EVO.

Here's some pix. Excuse it for being dirty.