Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 to EVO 4 steering column swap

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 8 to EVO 4 steering column swap

will it fit ? we have LHD evo4 but streering column is not from evo , what can we do to make it steer like an real evo ?
Old May 16, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Will the column from a JDM Evo 4 not work? I thought only the rack was reversed. The rack is still on the car, correct?

Personally, I'd source a JDM Evo 4 column then get ready to fabricate if necessary.
Old May 16, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would you change out the steering colum ? all that is is a shaft that connects your steering wheel to your rack n pinion. To change steering ratio / feel you would want to look into the rack and pinion.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Hah, yeah I read that originally as they had an Evo 8 column trying to fit it into an Evo 4.

I'm still not sure there isn't a miscommunication happening.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:13 PM

jdm evo4 is already left hand drive , problem is that we want to fit evo 8 steering rack not column , he is using steering rack from lhd regular lancer so steering is not that sharp as it should be.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

I have never worked on a rack from an Evo, but I have helped install a rack from one car into another model of car. Disclaimer aside, here are the things I think you are going to have to worry about:
  1. Rack mounting - it must be mounted securely for obvious reasons.
  2. Tie rods (track and bumpsteer) - there is a chance that even if everything lines up right, the car will have horrible bumpsteer.
  3. Steering shaft - You can start with trying the Evo 8 shaft and wheel, but if it doesn't fit the column, may need an Evo 4 upper and an Evo 8 lower welded together. Make sure to keep any shaft adjustment present when cutting and welding.

While I have never known anyone with an Evo 4, I have talked to someone who has driven an Evo 6, and the feedback I received was that the steering was very sharp, maybe even sharper than an Evo VIII, but more raw. My understanding is that the Evo 4 rack is the same as the 6 rack.

Are you sure it is the rack that is causing the "steering problem"? If it is sloppy steering, I'd say that could be fixed with a rebuilt Evo 6 rack if as the OP states, it does not have an Evo rack. Check and replace bushings also. If it is a handling problem and not a steering problem, then I would think that new struts/shocks for an Evo 4/5/6 + swaybars and suspenson bushings would fix that.

I just don't see an Evo 4 driving badly because of an outdated rack, I think there is another problem. Good luck with it!

Last edited by FERNO; May 17, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a difference on how the racks are mounted, the evo7-9 have the rack mounted lower ontop of the subfram as it is quite flat, while the evo1-6 have the rack mounted higher as the subframe has a hump to clear the transfer case, so the mounts on the rack and inlet/outlets for the power steer lines will all be different.

But if you don't mind modifying it then you may get it to work.
Old May 18, 2011, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah Yogi. Is there any handling advantage reason to choose an Evo VIII rack over a Evo VI rack?
Old May 19, 2011, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are just plonking an evo8 rack into the same spot as the evo6 rack I don't see any advantage apart from the quicker ratio (evo6 RS racks are a quicker ratio to the GSRs), but I don't see how you could move the rack any other place unless modded an evo7-9 subframe in.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:48 AM

tnx for usefull info guys

reason for bad handling is that rack is not from any evo , its from just left handed lancer , steering lock is also more than it should be .