Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 maintenance with 2000 miles need you advice

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011 | 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
As much as I hate to say it, I hope you're not saving this in the hopes that it will be worth a lot some day. A car in its 8th generation and, more importantly, a stripped US model, won't garner the type of money that a muscle car, FQ400, or something like that would

Driiiiive it and enjoy it, it doesn't have to be your daily but it should get at least some miles on it every month
Wrong.

The 8's and 9's are being totalled left and right. This one will be a keeper.

Although I simply think its retarded to buy a car you want....just to let it sit. An enthusiast will drive the hell out of their car....somone looking to make a dime later stores it.
Old May 17, 2011 | 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

I see that alot of you are asking many questions like why you keeping it or do i think it will be worth something one day etc etc.
Im keeping it cause i love it thats one and i feel there aint no evos like the 8 and the 9 period and yes i do enjoy just looking at it. Two no its not gona be worth anything one day not that i know and i dont care not selling it. Three I have been adding parts on it for years little by little so i dont feel it on my pocket that much and when im done maybe 100 yrs ill start driving it here and there lol. Four Im always busy working on other projects completely different models not mitsu I been working on my Peugeot 405 Mi16 that i have been focusing on and almost done so i like to finish that its been bothering me for a while due to difficult finding parts. Five i just got rid of my 08 wrx and picked up a new 11 X GSR GG navi, sound & aero pkg for my daily drive and yes i do like the 8 more The X im gona drive everyday and make up for what i been missing

Again thank you all and i will change all the fluids on my 8, tires are fine no flat spots due to i do move it around here and there.
Will try and get some pics up sometime next week.

Last edited by 04Evo851374; May 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old May 17, 2011 | 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Wow that is some low mileage! I know a lot of EVO owners seem to not drive their car and save the miles for the next owner. From what I can see every car in the market place has well below the number of mileage the year should have (2003-2006). Most people driving IX's have an average of 25000-50000 which is pretty low already!

Good luck keeping your car in tip top shape, it seems like you would just need to change all the fluids every once in a while and make sure the tires don't get too flat sitting in one spot. Also like mentioned before those belts could be worn after 8 years.

Lets see some pics!
Old May 17, 2011 | 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04Evo851374
I see that alot of you are asking many questions like why you keeping it or do i think it will be worth something one day etc etc.
Im keeping it cause i love it thats one and i feel there aint no evos like the 8 and the 9 period and yes i do enjoy just looking at it. Two no its not gona be worth anything one day not that i know and i dont care not selling it. Three I have been adding parts on it for years little by little so i dont feel it on my pocket that much and when im done maybe 100 yrs ill start driving it here and there lol. Four Im always busy working on other projects completely different models not mitsu I been working on my Peugeot 405 Mi16 that i have been focusing on and almost done so i like to finish that its been bothering me for a while due to difficult finding parts. Five i just got rid of my 08 wrx and picked up a new 11 X GSR GG navi, sound & aero pkg for my daily drive and yes i do like the 8 more The X im gona drive everyday and make up for what i been missing

Again thank you all and i will change all the fluids on my 8, tires are fine no flat spots due to i do move it around here and there.
Will try and get some pics up sometime next week.
^^^^^^^
Well said, but you forgot to say: "Six.. it's my car and I can do whatever I want with it " I think most people are just jealous 'cause you probably have the only NEW evo 8

Post pics bro, what color is it? I bet the paint doesn't have a scratch/dent on it.
Old May 17, 2011 | 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

You should have someone take a look at the belts. Do a leakdown and compression, among the other fluids, coolant get acidic over time and eats aluminum.

I deal with cars that sit. They don't like it. I had a car with bad valve seats because the rust/condensation built up. eventually we had to do the valves.

The belt is because is it rubber, and over time, rubber goes bad. Even car tires are not recommended for over 7 yrs. look at the last 4 digits on the DOT number that is the week and yr they were made.

Good Luck with it though.
Old May 17, 2011 | 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
^^^^^^^
Well said, but you forgot to say: "Six.. it's my car and I can do whatever I want with it " I think most people are just jealous 'cause you probably have the only NEW evo 8

Post pics bro, what color is it? I bet the paint doesn't have a scratch/dent on it.
yup
Old May 17, 2011 | 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
You should have someone take a look at the belts. Do a leakdown and compression, among the other fluids, coolant get acidic over time and eats aluminum.

I deal with cars that sit. They don't like it. I had a car with bad valve seats because the rust/condensation built up. eventually we had to do the valves.

The belt is because is it rubber, and over time, rubber goes bad. Even car tires are not recommended for over 7 yrs. look at the last 4 digits on the DOT number that is the week and yr they were made.

Good Luck with it though.
Great thanks i will double check everything thanks.
Old May 17, 2011 | 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dgarcia41982
yup
No lol there right i should drive it but again the older its been getting the more im enjoying it, i know might not make sense but this one is really show room condition
Old May 17, 2011 | 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
^^^^^^^

+1

To the OP, have fun with the X!
Old May 17, 2011 | 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

I have an 03 w/ 51k and I thought that was low, but damn. You remind me of my friends dad, he has an 08' Mustang GT500 with ~700 miles on it
Old May 17, 2011 | 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Damn. I want PICs NOW! lol