Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

are you a racer if you own an evo?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not even gonna lie, I wait at school zones to initiate street races but in all seriousness My evo's main use is at my favorite back road.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Touge to a certain extent. I autox my car every chance I get(about once a month). Unfortunately/fortunately it is also doubles as my DD. For the money there are other cars that are nicer and do a better job as a DD. I personally hate that I commute in my car just for the fact I am racking up stupid miles on my car. I want my miles to be fun miles. Take that last statment however you want ie autocross, canyon carving, drag racing, roadracing, whatever helps you achieve your driving euphoria.

So to sum up the Evo is a great car that begs to be flogged legally!
Old May 23, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I dont race, my evo gets me to work and back.
Old May 23, 2011, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

with the EVO you can have your cake and eat it too. I use my EVO as a weekend warrior/occasional daily driver doing HPDE/Autox/Drag on a regular basis and still can put two car seats in the back and take the wife and kids out to dinner the same night.

I feel bad for guys who install part after part to try and increase the performance, but never get to experience what their car is really capable of for fear of damaging it or whatever other reason. Seems like a total waste to me, but to each their own.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lets me honest, true racecars are vehicles you don't want to drive on the street
Old May 23, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
This is one of the (many) reasons I opted for the station wagon. It's far more subtle than the sedan. Interestingly I actually drive more sedately now than in my last car, a 96 1.5 NA lancer.
You know I had a lancer too and I find myself in the same position. I used to be the guy passing by everyone in the highway when I had the lancer. Now I laugh when someone flies by on the left lane. Maybe has to do with age and more mature now.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get this a lot too, but my car is mostly for drag racing. My car just got running on the new setup on friday and went to a couple meets this weekend with it. The car is loud turndown off the downpipe,10:5:1 Built 2.0 FF 6765. I was leaving and a old school BMW M3 Turbo followed me all the way to the highway and asked if i wanted to do a pull. I just got the car back, im breaking it in and needs to be tuned lol. I dont know what it is but people think just because you own an Evo you have to race. Before this crazy setup i did, i also just liked going to meets and cruising the car around
Old May 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Def a hobby for me as well. It's just fun to drive, nothing wrong with having a nice car that you enjoy. Alot of people buy these new cars and they're boring as fawk.

I hate it when I was questioned "why did you buy a evo if you don't race" since I won't race anyone. Like listen, I bought this car for myself not to pickup dudes.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TougeGod7
sorry, but i'm with your uncle in law on this one. what's the point of having an evo if you're not going to use it for what it was made for? the car wasn't made to be a DD, otherwise it wouldn't get worse mpg than 95% of the cars out there. why would they give you high performance suspension, a big spoiler, and racing seats? last time i checked ppl don't want to DD a car nicknamed "the kidney bruiser". for crying out load the RS doesn't even come with power...anything, and that's not including the RS's in the rest of the world where they look like a widebody lancer with an evo drivetrain.

if you want something you can DD rain/shine/snow and has a lot of room get a forester or something. the evo was made to be raced and not turned into a hellaflush grocery getter or a garage queen. also, why would you put your kids in a car with one of the worst side impact ratings out there? just because it has 4 doors and a back seat where u can put ur baby seats, doesn't make it safe for your little loved ones.

so, if you're on of the, sadly many, ppl out there that has an evo as only a DD and never uses it for what it was made for, then please do the car a favor and sell it to someone who will use it properly.
/rant

P.S. please don't say you have it because you like the way it looks. i <3 evos to death and the way they look, but next to some other cars out there the look horrible. if you don't believe me, go ask any girl out there what looks better, an evo 1-10 or a bmw/infinity/audi/etc? i guarantee 90% will not pick the evo.
I don't quite agree with you in the sense that, even if you do 1 WOT run a week and the rest is cruising, thats already worth it.. to me anyway. And i'd much prefer driving something that i can take a corner in faster then 40km/hr and think to myself "yea and smile" vs taking a corner in a forester

on top of that as mentioned above; every time i leave my house and see my car its all worth it. Anytime i feel like ****, i got for a drive and right away i feel better.

dave
Old May 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TougeGod7
sorry, but i'm with your uncle in law on this one. what's the point of having an evo if you're not going to use it for what it was made for? the car wasn't made to be a DD, otherwise it wouldn't get worse mpg than 95% of the cars out there. why would they give you high performance suspension, a big spoiler, and racing seats? last time i checked ppl don't want to DD a car nicknamed "the kidney bruiser". for crying out load the RS doesn't even come with power...anything, and that's not including the RS's in the rest of the world where they look like a widebody lancer with an evo drivetrain.

if you want something you can DD rain/shine/snow and has a lot of room get a forester or something. the evo was made to be raced and not turned into a hellaflush grocery getter or a garage queen. also, why would you put your kids in a car with one of the worst side impact ratings out there? just because it has 4 doors and a back seat where u can put ur baby seats, doesn't make it safe for your little loved ones.

so, if you're on of the, sadly many, ppl out there that has an evo as only a DD and never uses it for what it was made for, then please do the car a favor and sell it to someone who will use it properly.
/rant

P.S. please don't say you have it because you like the way it looks. i <3 evos to death and the way they look, but next to some other cars out there the look horrible. if you don't believe me, go ask any girl out there what looks better, an evo 1-10 or a bmw/infinity/audi/etc? i guarantee 90% will not pick the evo.
u beat me to it

if no one raced evo's how much do you wanna bet these people who buy evo's as DD only (no track/autox/drag/back road) wouldn't have actually bought one.

as tougegod said...for those of you that use your evo 1-9 for a "family car" why would you put your family in such an unsafe car? please at least do it in an evo x that has a real crash rating.

and ..
THIS DOES APPLY TO CARS LIKE THE GT2/3 RS

although some super car's are really not that fast and are actually better suited for flaunting it around.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fenriq007
You know I had a lancer too and I find myself in the same position. I used to be the guy passing by everyone in the highway when I had the lancer. Now I laugh when someone flies by on the left lane. Maybe has to do with age and more mature now.
Its called walking softly and carrying a big effing stick. LOL. The faster I made my car the slower I drove. Its like when I started carrying a pistol I find I have way more patience with idiots where as before I'd fight anyone in the street for any stupid reason.

Ok yeah that may be an age thing as well.

The Evo may not have the best crash rating but its not unsafe to the degree you imply.

Besides the wing always survives. LOL.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

^
well I'm not saying it will randomly implode, but i would not want to have a 2 star crash rated car to regularly transport my wife and kids.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Can't argue with that.

Still thats also one of the reasons why I don't want to drive it all that often. Honestly before I killed my motor the only time we all piled in the car is when we were headed to a car related event
Old May 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by infam0usndn2nv
i wake up everyday with a smile on my face knowing the fact i will get to drive my evo..
yezzzurrr
Old May 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by infam0usndn2nv
i wake up everyday with a smile on my face knowing the fact i will get to drive my evo..
I feel the same way but I only drive my evo 3 days a week so I don't smile as often as you do.

Last edited by diablo1; May 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM.