Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quick release harness bar and harnesses from Buschur Racing

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Quick release harness bar and harnesses from Buschur Racing

I've always liked the looks and idea behind the harness bars for the Evolution. I like that there is also that slim chance that a tech guy will quickly look in the car and give you the thumbs up for a roll cage when he sees the bar and harnesses!

What I do not like, however, is the fact that the back seat becomes a danger zone for any passengers. I remember riding in the back seat of Jarrod's EVO and holding both my hands on the bar to help cushion the impact of my face hitting it if we had a wreck, it was a very uncomfortable feeling. It also kept me from ever installing the bar in my own car.

A few weeks ago after reading a thread about some chassis stuff I got the idea to make the harness bar removable. Why nobody else has ever done this is a mystery to me.

I got with Gary Reese, our chassis guy and went over some ideas. What we ended up doing was making a bar that you can get out of the car in about one minute.

The bar is bolted in, in the typical manner but then we use quick release pins to enable the bar to be taken out quickly, so the back seats can be used safely.

I have also been working with a Schroth dealer and I bought a few sets of belts to figure out the best set up for this quick release harness bar.

We will be offering the Schroth harnesses that I chose for my set up with the bars. This will of course be optional. The set I used bolts the lap belt into the factory bolt holes on the floor and on the seat. This keeps your factory seat belts fully functional. When you decide to take the bar out for your back seat passengers the lap belt simply lays down on the floor next to the seat and you use your factory belt. The shoulder harnesses use the snap on kit, these are quickly disconnected and removed with the harness bar.

I made a quick video this weekend of my car at Winged Warrior and included some pictures of the car in the video.
The seat belts will be optional, you can buy your own elsewhere if you like. They will be available in Black, silver, blue or red. You can order them with the snap on shoulder harnesses or in a wrap around harness. The wrap around will make taking the bar out longer process and is why we chose the snap on shoulder harnesses.

The harness bar will come with a few options too. They will come powder coated in a few different colors. Mine is done in Krinkle Black, we can do them in a few different colors also but can not guarantee it to match a body color. The other option on the bar will be with and without the tabs to bolt in the quick release shoulder belts.

Other selling points of our bars. The complete bar including the down tubes are made chrome moly and beautifully TIG welded. The clevis at the end of the bar is machined out hollow to keep the weight down. We also used double tabs at the main bar and the down tubes for added support and stiffness. There is no other harness bar of this quality, light weight or removable available.

The bar will come powder coated in your choice of colors, shoulder harness mounting options and all bolts etc. We are looking at a $485 for the complete kit price right now. The belts will be additional and I will post that pricing when I get it worked out.

One other thing I would like to add. I've done quite a bit of road racing and about 10 autocrosses at this point. This weekend was the first time I have done either with a set of proper belts in the car. Difference is NIGHT AND DAY behind held in the seat where you are suppose to be!

Here is the video with some quick shots of the bar in it and the Winged Warrior event:

http://www.youtube.com/user/meanmitsu?feature=mhee

Last edited by David Buschur; May 24, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

If you are interested in the bar, please post up so we can get an idea of how many we need to make. They will be ready to ship in no more than 2 weeks, guaranteed.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, that was fast as hell. I'm in.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Bar looks really good
Old May 23, 2011, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Very cool harness bar! Love the quick release idea.

-Josh
Old May 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put me down. I called jarrod this morning to arrange sending you guys my oil ban to get baffling put in it and I was going to just go ahead and pay for a Cosworth crank scraper, might as well add this to the list as well.

In for one. I'll pay y'all today along with the other stuff when I call. I can take my Sparco one out and sell it.

What finishes will be available?
Old May 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Interested can you PM me a price estimate on a bar with belt and without. Thanks Dave... btw cant view you tube videos. Could you post up some pics. Thanks
Old May 23, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

The bars will come in smooth or krinkle powder coated finishes. We can do just about any color but as I said, I can't guarantee it to match your car. So basic white, black, red etc. We can have custom colors done too but it would cost more. We can probably post some pics of the basic colors if need be so you guys can match them up.

The only pics I have are on my phone currently and I can't post them from there. We will get more detailed pictures and I'll have Jarrod post them.

The bars are going to be $475, complete. The belts I am still waiting for pricing on.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Well I will def. purchase a krinkle black harness bar. Looking at the video I believe my Sparco harness's will work with the detachable system.

So where do I sign up?

Last edited by SmurfZilla; May 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Just curious what materials the bar is made from and approximate weight
Old May 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome!! Looks great DB!! You know I am interested...So what ended up being the total weight of this bar?? I know you were trying to make it as light as possible...

PS...I am interested in wrinkle black with black belts!!
Old May 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't weigh the complete bar before I installed it, I forgot! I will weigh the next one we finish before shipping it all. The bar is made of chrome moly.

You can call the shop to order, thank you!
Old May 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I didn't weigh the complete bar before I installed it, I forgot! I will weigh the next one we finish before shipping it all. The bar is made of chrome moly.

You can call the shop to order, thank you!
Looks like I will be pulling my harness bar out now and putting it up for sale! haha...

In the video it looks like you aren't using the factory upper and lower seat belt bolts?? I'm guessing your kit comes with longer ones? With my harness bar now, my factory bolts don't thread in as far as I would like...
Old May 23, 2011, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Calling in 5.
Old May 23, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nick asked me to hold off until I send my Oil Pan to you guys and just pay for it all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Quick release harness bar and harnesses from Buschur Racing