Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

60K tune up

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 60K tune up

Hello folks,

I searched for this info in the forums but didn't find anything that fully answered my question. I am due for a timing belt and balance belt replacement (120k miles) and was wondering exactly what parts are NECESSARY to do so? I am going to replace the water pump too. i HEARD THE OEM Timing belt is also kevlar re-enforced so thats a good thing. My car just has minor bolt ons. Nothing special.

Also, I was thinking about replacing the head gasket. Any suggestions? I heard OEM is best.

so far on my list is:
OEM Timing Belt
OEM Balance belt
OEM idler (which one BTW if there is a certain one)
OEM tensioner
OEM water pump
OEM water pump gasket ( isnt there an O-ring that i need?)

OEM head gasket
ARP Head studs
OEM Valve seals Might as well replace valve seals while Im at it.
Might as well change Intake and exhaust gaskets

I know there are some parts for the timing belt replacement I forgot

Any one know what else I need?

There is a shop that sells the 60K OEM parts tune up for 480.. is that a good deal?? I want to know exactly which parts are needed so I can get a quote from the dealership to compare it to.

Last edited by j_barcarse; May 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add more info on car
Old May 24, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do you want to replace your head gasket?
Old May 24, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

^^^
My guess is the new head studs. I think you should replace gaskets if you are removing the bolts so that you do not cause leaks.

I could be wrong though.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, you wonder how many miles the car makers build for since most cars get smacked and junked before 100k. So, I'd suggest you make the 120K service more of a check and look at everything investigation. Make sure all the seals are tight and all of the bearings are smooth. Also, all new hoses might be a good idea since Mitsu recommends new hoses every 60K and nobody does it.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

I have 120K miles on this car, If im removing all those components on the timing belt side, might as well go further and remove head gasket...... but I thought about it, if im going to do a head gasket, its guna cost me..... because Id have to change all my seals also..... Im just going to do a compression check to see if its necessary.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Just realized its prob best to take the Head into a shop to have it cleaned out and shaved.. dont think I have time for that lol....

The way Im planning on is do the Timing belt first.... and if the compression check fails then head gasket.........then clutch second (not mentioned but I need a new one also lol)

This car is a killer!!!
Old May 24, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

u kno, I actually just found out about the 60K service last week (where have I been??) Im actually surprised My car made it this far lmao.... wonder if the 60K can wait... I inspected the Timing belt recently and didnt notice any irregularity... I guess I just want to do it as a precaution

They say If you can do a clutch in the Evo, then a timing belt job isnt that bad...I did my clutch by myself...... . Ive replaced my MR2 Turbo Timing belt by myself like 3 times so far so Im sure it should be okay....... I hope lol

Last edited by j_barcarse; May 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: adding
Old May 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I'm in the same boat, I am due for a timing belt replacement (60k miles).
Old May 24, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

I've heard that a small percentage of evo's are the lucky one's... I guess Mine made it (knock on wood) but I bought mine at 15k miles... one day I went into the service depot about a couple years ago and askd for the service record... they told me there was head work done.... so since I found out about the 60K, I askd them again if I could see the service records... They said I had none to my name WTF?????? Bogus!
Old May 26, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

so in my case, is it necessary to remove everything to get the head gasket out? or could i possibly lift the head up and slide in the head gasket to save time?

I know the proper way to do it is to remove the head and take it to a machine shop to get it leveled then clean off the top of the block with a gasket scraper.... is there any other way around this? I just need to save from down time
Old May 26, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j_barcarse
so in my case, is it necessary to remove everything to get the head gasket out? or could i possibly lift the head up and slide in the head gasket to save time?

I know the proper way to do it is to remove the head and take it to a machine shop to get it leveled then clean off the top of the block with a gasket scraper.... is there any other way around this? I just need to save from down time
you can check the head yourself. get a straight edge and check it for straightness. if its bad then you would need to take it to a machine shop. if you pull the head off the right way it shouldnt warp on you. if the head was really bad then believe me, you would of blown your headgasket by now. i think your fine. just check it and slap that ***** back on.

i saw your post before...480 for a 60k service? is that with the headgasket? if so thats a really good deal!!
Old May 26, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=652

Headgasket? I guess.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ginglingston11
i saw your post before...480 for a 60k service? is that with the headgasket? if so thats a really good deal!!
sounds like the they were just selling the kit, not performing the labor for that price

I could be wrong though? OP?
Old May 26, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I still haven't figured out this head gasket thing you keep talking about. The head gasket is not a wear item. It either leaks or it is okay. If you are going to lift the head then do it right. There are no shortcuts.

I suggest you need to concentrate on the 60,000 mile overdue timing belt job.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:05 PM

if you decide to do the headgasket... don't do it half A$$ed. if you do it half a$$ed you will end up with more down time then if you do it the right way to begin with

Quick Reply: 60K tune up