Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blind Spots?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blind Spots?

I was wondering if the Evo 8 has like some really bad blind spots... *if any*

Cause I knoe the Rx8 and new Celica sure do

The car has an Is300 kinna setup so I would think because it IS a sedan the blind spots would be typical ONLY on the sides when you actually have to look over your shoulder and stuff ...
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure how much different the Evo VIII is from the Evo I as far as blind spots....but I bought a bigger rear view mirror and have no problems...don't even need to use my side mirrors unless I am backing up because I can see everything behind me and a lot of the sides.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO has good visibility, especially when comparing to coupes. It has a high roofline which allow for bigger side windows, and the trunk isn't ridiculously high.

The only difficult thing is looking behind the Recaros while turning your head (when backing up). The high wing isn't that bad either.

Last edited by kdogg; Dec 23, 2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Ah thats good cause the last thing I would think about is the wing being in the damn way Lol...

HmMm we'll see how everyone else thinks... It doesnt seem like those Recaro seats would be in the way .. but hey what do I know =P

Well of course if you got some tall ppl up in the back of your car there's gonna be some bad views...

but thats good to hear...cause that would sux if that car had a grip of blind spots.... just aNother good thing about an evo =P
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Also ...since I dont wanna make a new thread...

How about the trunk space... resonable or like too small... I doubt its bad.... well only knowing because the damn 350zx has a HORRIBLE trunk space...damn looks....with a freakn like plastic piece over the top of it sayng 350zx... I'd say you can fit two duffle bags max...

O well...it IS a two seater haha...
Old Dec 23, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

The trunk space is pretty good. The o0nly thing that sucks is the back seats dont fold down.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 01:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trunk space is on par with about any other sedan of similar size. Actually better than my old WRX due to the small opening it had. As long as you can get it into the trunk opening, you can get some descent size boxes or suitcases in there.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think the visibility of the Evo8 is really good! I had a 350Z before the Evo, and that had some serious blind spots. The carbon spoiler on the Evo takes a bit to get used to tho.....
Old Dec 23, 2003, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SlowCar
. The carbon spoiler on the Evo takes a bit to get used to tho.....
yeah but now its like cool, because now it blocks the headlights of cars behind you. i love it!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

get a 320mm broadway mirror. the one i bought is also concave. you can see soo much that you don't even need to use the side mirrors. i can see 3 lanes wide behind me. great investment.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by kdogg
The EVO has good visibility, especially when comparing to coupes. It has a high roofline which allow for bigger side windows, and the trunk isn't ridiculously high.

The only difficult thing is looking behind the Recaros while turning your head (when backing up). The high wing isn't that bad either.
I agree. I'm short, so looking directly back is kinda hard. I'm come to use the side mirrors often now. Wing covers up the headlights of the cars behind you, no matter how tall you are. Trunk has tons of space. I don't know what you guys are used to, but you can fit quite a few bodies back there .
Old Dec 23, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

get a 320mm broadway mirror. the one i bought is also concave. you can see soo much that you don't even need to use the side mirrors. i can see 3 lanes wide behind me. great investment.
I did the same thing!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

The only real blind spot I’ve noticed is from the pillar between the front and rear doors. I’m about 6 feet tall and have the seat slid back a bit. When doing lane changes to the left I always try to look back over my shoulder after I look in the mirror just to be certain there is no one there. People in Atlanta like to pace themselves by riding on your rear quarter panel. That way they can talk on the cell phone or beat their kids without having to think about the road. When I look over my shoulder I’m pretty much staring at the pillar and I have to lean forward a little. I’ve gotten used to it. Visibility is way better than my old Eclipse. When I first got my Evo I was also weirded out by the wing endplates (or supports) when looking in the mirror. While doing a quick glance in the rearview mirror you can be confused into thinking they are another car. I’ve also gotten used that.

Best wishes,
f86sabre
Old Dec 23, 2003, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, wing is nice to block cars headlights, but sucks for spotting cops behind ya. Trunk space is great for a little car, but most impressive is back seat room for a car this size. Easy to fit 4 average size people in the car... much better than my Forester or neon (or wrx or a4 or 3 series). No blind spots at all if you adjust your mirrors right... somebody posted one time how to adjust your side mirrors, and it really works to eliminate any blind spots.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

hahah I would seriously think that the wing would have some effect and you stated it right there ^ ...

But wouldnt the view be kind of weird because it IS so high up?

Also is the view in the driver seat good enough? Cause you know that one car * the sti -_-* has that freakn hood scoop kinna in the middle of the view of the front..... Is it like an Eclipse/Celica where you cant see the hood at all or what

Quick Reply: Blind Spots?