Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pics of my gauge install

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2003, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahaha Joe ...np
Old Dec 23, 2003, 02:04 PM

Re: Pics of my gauge install

Originally posted by 4G63>OOOO
Guys,
I settled on the SPA technique gauges as you can see here. I like them a lot since you can select the backlight, set peaks, they all have peak/hold functions and tons of other features you'll probably never use.

Now for the pics:

Just in case your eyes aren't that good, I'm using boost, EGT, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp and the always useless voltmeter. (Had trouble deciding on a 6th)

Good quality gauges with nice electrical sending units. A bit pricey, but when you consider it's about 150 or so per gauge and I get 6 in the space of 3, it's not that bad. The menu takes a little getting used to, but I like em.
I have used SPA gauges in race cars that I have built, extremly high quality and well engineered. Looks nice!

Winston
Old Dec 23, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Just ordered the radio relocation kit you mentioned (PN#MZ598263EX). Thanks for the heads up. I believe the dealer's EVO parts list calls it something like a CD Changer Installation Kit.

Old Dec 23, 2003, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

nice install! how much are those gauges?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 07:07 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a sharp looking setup. Is there a warning sound also or just light? Too bad they aren't a little bigger digits for us folks with old eyes. Do they have a website that shows all their gauge products?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Nice setup!
They match up well with the radio
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much was the entire setup??
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

nice...
Old Dec 24, 2003, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have to call mitsu to see how much they want , whats the biggest gauge size that you can fit ??
Old Dec 24, 2003, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Man, that looks nice! Personally I would like the non-digital gauges but that's just my preference. That looks alot better than I thought it would. How is it to operate your stereo now? Is there a problem with inserting a cd? I really like that, nice job, did you do it yourself? Would you mind stating about what the total cost is? Thanks for posting the pics.
John
Old Dec 24, 2003, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by speedomodel
Dammit! you beat me to it.
I ordered the same SPA Technique gauges just yesterday with the temps -- pyrometer, oil, water -- across the bottom. I also purchased a 42 Draft Designs (http://www.42draftdesigns.com/) countersunk triple gauge panel. It's meant to work with VDO gauges in a VW, but I'm hoping a guage is a gauge and a DIN is a DIN.

Was there anything unexpected about the installation?

Again, awesome choice!

Speedomodel,
Man that's nice!! Did you get the whole setup at 42 Draft Designs? That's the setup I would like, PLEASE keep us posted on your install, if you did it yourself, what it cost, etc. Can't wait to see pics!! Thanks!
John
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

AustinEVO:

That picture was just to show what the gauges would look like countersunk. I actually went with the same SPA technique gauges as 4G63>OOOO, except I'll be putting them down low where the factory gauge cluster would go. I almost got an EGT for each cylinder, but I decided against it.

The 42 Draft Designs triple gauge panel is designed for the bezel on VDO gauges, and 4G63>OOOO says the SPA gauges don't quite fit. I'll post pictures if I can get their ABS panel to work for me.

I contacted 42 Draft Designs with questions and they were very helpful. Here are the panel specs they gave me. For universal applications both the aluminum and ABS DIN panels measure 7 7/16" (187.6mm) x 2 5/16" (58mm) x 5/16" (7.5mm). The gauge holes measure 2 1/16" in diameter and the recesses measure 2 3/16" in diameter.

I've used VDO Vision gauges before in my 1G GSX, and they're excellent.

This isn't a great photo -- the brushed aluminum looks better in person.

Here's pricing for you guys:
SPA Technique Dual Gauges

It's not cheap when you factor in the cost of installation, but well worth it IMO.

Last edited by speedomodel; Dec 24, 2003 at 08:42 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Answers:
All the gauges cost me just short of 1k, including the din panel and radio relocation kit. Money well spent, especially since I now have at least a general idea on what's going on under the hood. I would at the very least recommend boost, EGT and oil temp, especially if you're modding your car.
No warning sound, just a light, but it's bright enough to catch your attention during the day. I think it's actually an LED, red for the pressure warnings and yellow for the temp warnings. My eyes stink and I can still read them fine.
They do match the radio pretty well, or I can change the backlight and make them match the instrument cluster.
As for using the radio, it took a few days to readapt, but it's a lot easier now that I don't have to take my hands off the shifter to change stations/tracks. Nothing blocks the CD player.

As for the install, I gotta hand it to Ferrarokid. He did a kickass job and I wouldn't trust my car to anyone else.

Last edited by 4G63>OOOO; Dec 24, 2003 at 10:29 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by speedomodel

Damn I miss my GSX....

Sweet placement for the #7 gauge, right in place of the cigarette lighter. I never would have thought fo that. Very nice, Very nice.

As to the original post, Those are sweet. I've always favored sweeping needles rather than digital readouts, but these are still nice. It's good to see people getting away from the a-pillar pods as well. I really don't like those things. My guages are mounted on my windshield.

Awesome setup, Joe.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I would have ultimately liked to have sweeping needles, but I wanted to keep it as clean as possible. These gauges have so many features, it's sickening. You can actually trigger a 12v signal to go off at a certain pressure signal...like water injection at 12psi or something like that. They do offer a one year warranty on the gauges and the guys are pretty cool to deal with.

I am sweating that 1g interior, though...who has that car now? I've been thinking of finding a 1g to make into a track car, but I already have one money pit.

Quick Reply: Pics of my gauge install