Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quietest Downpipe???

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quietest Downpipe???

Hello all.

I'm looking for the quietest downpipe I can find. I have to replace mine as it was butchered before I bought the car and welded in front of the flange.

My choices are:
Stock
2.75"
3"

to run with a Tanabe Touring Medalion CBE and High Flow Cat I've already sourced.

I'd honestly go stock for noise, but I'm not thrilled with the super small stock size or the flat spots and restrictions. I figure while I'm changing it I might as well gain some power if I'm not putting on too much noise.

Chime in with your thoughts if you have changed downpipes and gotten louder or not gotten louder and the brand & size of your downpipe.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 29, 2011, 05:35 PM

just go 3 inch and be done with it. all the noise is in the cat and resonators and mufflers. DP's don't affect much at all
Old May 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
obviously the lesser the diameter, the quieter.... so stock is quietest
Old May 29, 2011, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
I run the the exhaust system you sourced, and after i added a 3 " downpipe, noise hardly increased at all. Very minimal increase in noise. Btw I got a cobb tuning dp.
Old May 29, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have a catback + testpipe and when I ran a DP, the sound didn't really increase as much as I thought it would. In terms of a good downpipe for an EVO IX, make sure you get one that clears the ACD, as many of the ones available in the market are meant for the VIII's without ACD. My suggestion would be the megan downpipe 05/06 that is made to clear ACD, it's full stainless and fits like a glove on the IX's.
Old May 29, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fast3voviii
just go 3 inch and be done with it. all the noise is in the cat and resonators and mufflers. DP's don't affect much at all
I've heard two cars side by side with the same CBE, one had a downpipe + resonator and was still slightly louder than the stock downpipe w/o resonater. btw, the downpipe was a Tanabe, and the owner said it droned a little whereas the other car does not drone. That's what brought me to the question of what brand people are running.

Originally Posted by Pal215
I run the the exhaust system you sourced, and after i added a 3 " downpipe, noise hardly increased at all. Very minimal increase in noise. Btw I got a cobb tuning dp.
Thanks for the input and for specifying the brand. That is what I am hoping for!

Originally Posted by reboundicon
I also have a catback + testpipe and when I ran a DP, the sound didn't really increase as much as I thought it would. In terms of a good downpipe for an EVO IX, make sure you get one that clears the ACD, as many of the ones available in the market are meant for the VIII's without ACD. My suggestion would be the megan downpipe 05/06 that is made to clear ACD, it's full stainless and fits like a glove on the IX's.
Is the Megan the same as the Ebay?

Also, how much increase would you say there was? How about in drone?

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
obviously the lesser the diameter, the quieter.... so stock is quietest
This is what I am afraid of, exactly, to a T. My last car was so loud it was way beyond unacceptable, and it had two Magnaflows.

Thanks everyone for the input, I hope you can expand a little further.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, this is the 2.75 I was considering. At $80, the price is right, I think it would flow much better than stock, and be quieter than a 3". ebay downpipe

Considering that the Tanabe necks down slightly from what I have read to ~2.9" and I'm running a HFC that actually works (screen looking thing the length of the internals, looks like a hologram or something when looking through it)... I don't believe that 2.75 downpipe would be the restriction. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by FERNO; May 29, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

The Megan is not the same as the ebay one. I'm usually not a big promoter of Megan parts, but they have done their research on this piece. Due to many customer complaints on their 03/05 downpipe from guys with 05MR's and 06 IX's they completely redesigned their downpipe exclusively for the EVO's with ACD.

I had an HKS before, but ended up changing to the 05/06 Megan as the fitment was much better and the sound was more quiet. There isn't much drone over the stock DP and you can definitely feel the gains at highway speeds.

http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...d=293&catid=10

It is a downpipe afterall, not a part on your car that you should go completely baller on as it is just at steel pipe that no one sees at the end of the day
Old May 29, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I run a Perrin Dp STM tpipe and Perrin cb 3 inch all the way back. Very mellow sound. It does wake up quite a bit when you open it up. Drones a little at 70 hums nicely at 80
Old May 30, 2011, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 9evolution
I run a Perrin Dp STM tpipe and Perrin cb 3 inch all the way back. Very mellow sound. It does wake up quite a bit when you open it up. Drones a little at 70 hums nicely at 80
yes perrin downpipe
Old May 30, 2011, 02:17 AM

Ive got the megan and love it. . . not too loud and fitment is great.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skim Milk
Ive got the megan and love it. . . not too loud and fitment is great.
Confirmed.

I am the OP, and I can confirm that the Megan DP is not loud and has no drone with UR 3"cat and Tanabe Medalion Touring CBE. Rest easy, Evo-folk.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FERNO
Confirmed.

I am the OP, and I can confirm that the Megan DP is not loud and has no drone with UR 3"cat and Tanabe Medalion Touring CBE. Rest easy, Evo-folk.
Glad it worked out for you, I think they are the only DP that actually guarantees they clear ACD on the 05 MR and 06 evo's, which is why I went with them. Let's hear a sound clip, your set up sounds sweet!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yessir, and thanks for the recommendation.

I'll work on getting a sound clip up for this as well as a DB reading for the DB thread.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FERNO
Yessir, and thanks for the recommendation.

I'll work on getting a sound clip up for this as well as a DB reading for the DB thread.
I'm thinking about this same config except with the Mil.SPEC 100 Cell HFC.

Are you gonna post these clips?

Does the Tanabe have some kind of resonator in the IP?

Quick Reply: Quietest Downpipe???