Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

are fuel stabilizer's ok?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are fuel stabilizer's ok?

im getting a second car and my evo will be a garage queen for the winter!

when i store it im going to park the car on 4 planks of wood to prevent flat spots , fill the tires up few psi over normal, take the battery out, oil & filter change, clean & and cover the car and fill up the gas tank with 93oct - should i use a fuel stabilizer?

i know summer just started so no bashing

John
Old May 30, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would let the tank run almost empty and not worry about it. When it comes time to start the car back up fill up a 5gal container and pour into the tank and you didn't have to mess with fuel stabilizer. I would leave the battery in the car but hook up a battery tender to keep it in good shape. I'm not so sure I would change the oil before storing since it will just be sitting in the oil pan, but I would change it right before actually taking the car back out of storage.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, change oil in the spring and leave the battery on a charger. I might also suggest putting in a quarter tank or so and periodically running the car throughout the winter. Either way, skip the stabilzer and save a few bucks.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

I completly dissagree with the guy above me about stable. You must run the tank till the low fuel lights been on for awhile. The low light comes on when there is about 3 gallons in the tank. Once you have the tank down to a bout one or two gallons of fuel add the recommended amount of stable for the few gallons that are left in. Put the car on 4 jack stands so you dont get flat spots on your tires and Pull the battery to take with you to your house so you can put it on a tender everynow and then. In the spring bring a 5 gallon can of fresh gas and the battery. Drive the car easy till all the gas in the tank runs through then refill and go nuts.

Gas turns to gel alot faster than people think. I have a honda ruckus scooter that i like to ride and tune, the gas can gel and screw my carborator up if it sits for even as short as 4 months.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:15 AM

I'm not disputing the fact that gas goes bad quickly. I'm just suggesting another way to take care of the car over winter. Running it for a few minutes every two weeks or so will keep the car running like normal without buying stabilizer, measuring gas, etc. Either way should work fine though.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:34 AM

I park mine for the winter to. I always fill the tank n put stabilizer in it. I also disconnect the battery n start it up every few weeks
Old May 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I store my Evo every winter - fill the tank with fuel, put the battery on a Battery Tender, and start it back up as soon as the salt is off the roads.