Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Double Pumper and Gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double Pumper and Gauge problem

I installed a buschur double pumper and barely made it to the gas station with the gauge on empty and fuel light on.

Filled the car up and everything has been going fine for about 500 miles. This week took the car to AWD to get it tuned and the gauge read 1/4 and it ran out of gas. Glad I had an extra can in the car to get me there. On the way home I was curious to see what it would do so I ran it as far as I could it made it just below the 1/4 mark on the gauge before it ran out again.

Is there a way to adjust so my gauge will read right and is this a common issue?

thanks in advance sorry for the long story.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you by any chance bend the floater bar on the pump housing assembly when removing/installing? If it is bent it will read an incorrect amount remaining in the tank.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can u just rebend it back to where its suposed to be?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
Did you by any chance bend the floater bar on the pump housing assembly when removing/installing? If it is bent it will read an incorrect amount remaining in the tank.
not really sure ttp did the install. I am going to look in the tank this weekend to see what I come up with and take come pics. What i find strange is when I first picked up the car and drove the car to the gas station it was reading empty and I made it to the gas station fine.....but not I cant get under 1/4 without running out of gas.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

definately sound like the floater may have been accidentaly bent. pulling that thing out to check it wont be fun. those supply hoses make for a tight fit in a small area. good luck . report findings
Old Jun 1, 2011, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

When my car ran last I know when i was at a quarter tank the car would buck like its about to die
Old Jun 1, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

yea I know its a tight fit...I hope to have it done by the weekend. I hope it somthing simple. anyone have a pic of what its suppose to look like?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 03:48 PM

Double Pumping

Try Buschur's web site for a how too or do a search on here or High Boost Forum. I know there is a great write up on the install with pic's. Good luck.
Btw way I did a little cut here and there around the housing to help get the pump out. Also, I recommend making sure the second pump has a good ground. I grounded mine to the frame.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

yea mine was cut from earlier installs
Old Jun 1, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds more like the siphon is not installed. Remove the fuel pump basket and make sure the small "t" shaped plastic insert is installed.. if you got a bag of parts back make sure it is not in there.

This piece is what gets the gas from the passenger side of the tank to the driver's side. Without it, you will run out of fuel but the passenger side will have gas in it.

This also would explain why you made it to the station on E when you got the car back, the siphon would have been doing its job before the new setup was put in.

I would at least check that before bending the float, I had the problem you describe as well and that was it. Also, sometimes the "filter sock" can be in the way of the float falling all the way down, they would just need to be turned a little to clear the float

Last edited by Liqquid; Jun 1, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always take the float off and install that separately once I weasel the housing into the tank...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

thanks that sounds like what it is doing. I never got any parts back but that doesnt suprise me either. Is there a pic of the t on his website?

blah always somthing with these cars
Old Jun 2, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by localtoys73
thanks that sounds like what it is doing. I never got any parts back but that doesnt suprise me either. Is there a pic of the t on his website?

blah always somthing with these cars
there's a description and general idea of what it does in post 3 plus a drawing

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ould-know.html

I don't have pics though, it would have the small plastic fitting, with a length of rubber hose on both top 'ports'..