Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Passed OBD-II emissions with S2 cams

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passed OBD-II emissions with S2 cams

I just bought an evo 8 with gsc s2 cams and a tbe with a hfc. I was worried I wouldn't pass obd-II emissions in northern virginia and searched this forum to see if anybody else with a big cam passed emissions without tricking the ecu. I took it in this morning and passed. I knew that I should be fine since I didn't have any CEL's, but I was worried a prior tuner may have disabled the rear O2 sensor. It turned out not to be the case. I hope this helps anybody considering buying the S2 cams.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 07:57 AM

I have the same set of cams in my evo 8.....how does ur car idle???

Originally Posted by Blackrain
I just bought an evo 8 with gsc s2 cams and a tbe with a hfc. I was worried I wouldn't pass obd-II emissions in northern virginia and searched this forum to see if anybody else with a big cam passed emissions without tricking the ecu. I took it in this morning and passed. I knew that I should be fine since I didn't have any CEL's, but I was worried a prior tuner may have disabled the rear O2 sensor. It turned out not to be the case. I hope this helps anybody considering buying the S2 cams.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by PICASO83
I have the same set of cams in my evo 8.....how does ur car idle???
With the A/C on, it idles great at around 1k rpms. With the A/C off, it will drop down to about 400 rpm and sound like it might stall but then jumps back to around 800k. If I rev it up a little to pull out of a parking spot but then get on the brake quickly, it comes REAL close to stalling. My boost gauge is showing vacuum of around -11 at idle. You can feel the lope in the seat.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHy would you worried that the rear O2 is disabled. If it hasn't been done properly you'd get a CEL/SES, if it was it wouldn't and you and the smog computer wouldn't know the difference.

It may disabled for all you know but as long as you passed thats whats important.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
WHy would you worried that the rear O2 is disabled. If it hasn't been done properly you'd get a CEL/SES, if it was it wouldn't and you and the smog computer wouldn't know the difference.

It may disabled for all you know but as long as you passed thats whats important.
If the rear O2 was disabled, I think the SES light won't turn on because of it. There are quite a couple ppl here that disable their rear O2 mainly because they don't want the SES light on. When the car goes through it's cycle, it'll skip the rear O2 completely and scan the others. If it doesn't find a problem, the light shouldn't come on.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla

From what I've read, if the rear 02 is disabled, you can still fail emissions without a check engine light. The OBD-II scanner the inspector uses will not be able to read what it needs to read for the test causing you to fail.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:44 AM

i think the right rpm should be set at 1100k.....mine with the a/c on the rpm jumps to 1400 or so??weird....and to take off i have to play with the gas in order for the car not to stall...i hope once dyno the car would run a lot better

With the A/C on, it idles great at around 1k rpms. With the A/C off, it will drop down to about 400 rpm and sound like it might stall but then jumps back to around 800k. If I rev it up a little to pull out of a parking spot but then get on the brake quickly, it comes REAL close to stalling. My boost gauge is showing vacuum of around -11 at idle. You can feel the lope in the seat.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

if you disable it properly the OBD computer will never know its disabled. Mine is disabled and I've passed emissions. I only got dinged on visual inspection. They couldn't see a cat and failed me. I got a test pipe now so I shouldn't have a problem.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Great info here. I've passed with HKS 280's and a stock cat a couple of times. That stock cat does emission wonders.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

In VA if you are subject to obd-ii emissions tests (1996 and newer vehicles) they only check your ECU with their scanner to see if the tests are ready and if the ECU deems that you passed. You can have up to one failure of these self-tests and still be passed overall. 96-2000 can have up to two (thank god as my 99 GSX always has two of its four tests failed heh).

I haven't used Evoscan much and don't recall if you can check obd-ii self-checks. I'm betting it will pull them up though. Just check your readiness for the tests and as long as you only have one failure or less you're good to go. How you get to a single failure I can't say. My Evo isn't modded at all, so I have no experience with passing a modded Evo.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

There is also a patch to have your ECU in OBDII readiness mode all the time.

In GA its hit or miss. Some places check for a cat (mirror and all) some don't bother.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Remember whenever the rear o2 is disabled, it is also simulated so when they plug into the obdII it feeds out the exact values they are looking to see.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Blackrain thanks for sharing with the community, 2 yrs ago I passed emission with hks 272 cams but with stock cat, now I am due for another inspection and I don't plan on putting the cat back, b/c there are so many people pass emission with no cat, thanks again for sharing it helps me a lot!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

btw, do they mirror for cat in VA?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Another reason I think I passed emissions testing was because cat-less e85 doesn't reek anywhere nearly as bad as cat-less pump gas does.

Quick Reply: Passed OBD-II emissions with S2 cams