Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2002, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lancer is a cheap car..there really isn't a reason it couldn't have ALL the j-spec stuff for under 30k..considering it is under 25kUS dollars in Japan. Hell look at the new Infiniti G35 and 350Z. The 350Z AND the G35 will have a sports package available that includes Brembos, LSD, 6-speed, etc...and has better reliability, brand new design, etc. for under 35k. Mitsubishi isn't exactly known for it's quality manufacturing and reliability so YES they really need a car that will stomp the competition for a price under 32k or so.
All is speculation right now though..so who knows.
And to answer someone elses question...I was told there won't be any specs unveiled at the LV dealer meeting this month...not until early fall.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 02:10 AM

GP: This car will have a limited production run. The price will be over 30K period, even if they only release the Cedia here. Dealers will STILL charge 5-6K over MSRP. Price is not an issue, the specs are. I don't want a watered down Evo for 30K man, I want the real deal. If I'm going to pay over 30K (which more or less will be the case) then I want to to have everything the Evo VII comes stock with in Japan/Europe. Is that too much to ask?

Evolution Se7en
Old Jul 3, 2002, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Already a world beater.

Mitsubishi isn't exactly known for it's quality manufacturing and reliability so YES they really need a car that will stomp the competition for a price under 32k or so
Last I checked the Lancer has already proven itself by dominating the WRC. Despite the trouble it is having right now, its past success with the platform have proven it to be a sturdy reliable and over all top performing car. It may take the general American public a while to learn that, but I don't really care about them. Only 5000 per year or so, so only the raving fans like me are gonna have/want/buy them. Let the luxury/poser set buy their Infinitis and their Lexuses (Lexi?) I'll be breaking them off with superior handling and performance in my non mainstream car.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 02:35 AM

I would just think it would sound more reasonable if they offered two classes of the car just like Subaru will be doing in the states.

The "Lancer Cedia Turbo" or the inexpensive EVO without the thrills but the turbo AWD for the same price as the WRX the states now has.

While the "Evo Ralliart" would be like in comparrison to Subaru offering the STi in the US. More bells and whistles, the better car, but the higher price, upwards of $30k.

I don't see anything that says this would be a bad idea...well maybe the possible sales figures, but thats besides the point. But, I also agree there is no way we would get the EVO we want (bells and whistles) for just over the current WRX price, which I think most of us realize.

Either way, I don't think my first brand new car will be in the range of the STi or top of the line Evo, so maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to have another option for an AWD turbo 4-door as a stepping stone to the real machines. 2 options are better than 1 at any level.

[BTW sorry if this is all obvious to everyone else, I've just been reading on and off for a while, so I might have missed previous discussions]

Last edited by octalon7; Jul 3, 2002 at 02:41 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

If all of this is true, I think i rather just see if i can afford a 350z in a year or 2.........

Skyline Engine minus AWD but with gobs of traction control....

I hope this aint true...30k for a "Lancer Cedia Turbo" doesnt seem appealing at all. I'd also rather get a Eclipse GTS...
Old Jul 3, 2002, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Let's be real.

Originally posted by GPTourer
Yeah, I'm biased, I know. But what kinda bothers me is when I hear people say, "Dammit if I can't get an EVO with GDI, Recaros, ACD, AYD, Brembos, and a partridge in a pear tree for $26,000, screw Mitsu I'm buying a (insert M3, WRX, Murcialago, etc). I tend to think these people aren't real fans of the car anyway. Mitsu hasn't promised anything except 250+hp and under 30K. Worldwide the full blown EVO already costs more then a WRX, so why is this such a suprise to hear stuff like this? Why are they necessarily supposed to be able to deliver all of that and match the WRX's price? If the EVO and the WRX had the exact same specs and cost exactly the same, I'd still buy a Mitsu. If it costs 28,000 and I only get 10 more hp and maybe nice brakes and a special diff, still going for Mitsu. If it cost 26K and had the same specs, guess what? My point is, if you guys really thought you could get all that top shelf stuff for under 30, you were kidding yourselves, and its no reason to hate the company. It sounds to me we'll be able to pick and choose the options we want. If you feel sold out abused, and/or misled, then buy whatever you want, be happy with your choice, and when you see me high rollin' in my Ralliart Cedia, or whatever it's gonna be called, you'll be feelin' that remorse. Don't worry, I'll give you a good trade allowance.
First off not all of us are willing to thow down our hard earned money for a car that does not deliever as promised. To me the evo is worth the 30 grand because its a great car and all of the awsome features it has. Take away those special features and its no longer worth as much to me. Doesn't mean I'm not an evo fan because I sure as hell am. I love and want the evo not some cedia turbo.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Look closely

First off not all of us are willing to thow down our hard earned money for a car that does not deliever as promised
'dogg, you quoted my entire post, but did you actually read it? Does not deliver as promised. Show me where Mitsubishi has promised anything. 250+hp, under 30K - that's it. They've said nothing about Recaros, Brembos, etc.

To me the evo is worth the 30 grand because its a great car and all of the awsome features it has. Take away those special features and its no longer worth as much to me.
Agreed. A 30K car that doesn't deliver anymore then what a WRX has to offer would be hard to swallow. I just don't think they're gonna do that. But like you, we're going to have to wait and see.

I love and want the evo not some cedia turbo.
Now here's where it gets tricky. To the unwashed and uninformed, The Evolution isn't anything but a funny looking Mirage. And now with the current bodystyle, a funny looking Lancer. They've used the same platform ever since the Evo I. So what if it they call it a Cedia Tubo over there, it has always used the same platform as the base car, there just using that name to differentiate the three or four trim levels that are going to be offered. But we educated people know that those crafty Mitsu engineers can take that base car, change the suspension, drop in a hot engine, stiffer framer, AWD, maybe a viscous diff (think RS) and have something otherworldy. So what's the difference if the top version
has more goodies underneath. It'll come out of the same factory, and then sent to Ralliart.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Let's be real.

Yeah, I'm biased, I know. But what kinda bothers me is when I hear people say, "Dammit if I can't get an EVO with GDI, Recaros, ACD, AYD, Brembos, and a partridge in a pear tree for $26,000, screw Mitsu I'm buying a (insert M3, WRX, Murcialago, etc). I tend to think these people aren't real fans of the car anyway. Mitsu hasn't promised anything except 250+hp and under 30K. Worldwide the full blown EVO already costs more then a WRX, so why is this such a suprise to hear stuff like this? Why are they necessarily supposed to be able to deliver all of that and match the WRX's price? If the EVO and the WRX had the exact same specs and cost exactly the same, I'd still buy a Mitsu. If it costs 28,000 and I only get 10 more hp and maybe nice brakes and a special diff, still going for Mitsu. If it cost 26K and had the same specs, guess what? My point is, if you guys really thought you could get all that top shelf stuff for under 30, you were kidding yourselves, and its no reason to hate the company. It sounds to me we'll be able to pick and choose the options we want. If you feel sold out abused, and/or misled, then buy whatever you want, be happy with your choice, and when you see me high rollin' in my Ralliart Cedia, or whatever it's gonna be called, you'll be feelin' that remorse. Don't worry, I'll give you a good trade allowance.
The thing is announced that we're getting EVO for under 30k. If they had first announced of this Lancer Turbo which will look like EVO but missing all those things, I wouldn't mind. At least they're being honest. I just don't like the fact that they're going to release a cheap version EVO just to meet the 30k promise. They couldn've told us about the Lancer turbo, or just simply tell is that it's going to cost 35k for a full blown Evo.

I'm a real fan of Evolution but hey if it's missing ACD/AYC and brembos, something that SHOULD be on the Evolution, there's something wrong. Might as well leave the badge with LANCER TURBO rather than Evo, if it doesn't even have the Evo heritage. All it'll be is a new 4-door Eclipse GSX (4G63 detuned, AWD without ACD/AYC, no brembos, you get the picture)

If Nissan gave out the news that the new GT-R will be available in the US for 30k, and then a year later they gave you the GT-R shell, RB26DETT detuned to 250hp, AWD with no ATTESA, no Brembos, no Recaros, heck you would be pissed off too. Why can't they just say they're going to give us a Baby GT-R in the first place? It's the same thing with EVO now.

It's a surprise because this is very different from what told us. They never mentioned a super-cheap Evo. We don't hate the company or the cars they make, we just hate the top corporate people who thinks they should just give the world some cheap lancer + turbo and slap on EVOLUTION badge to make people think they're getting a real EVO. Guess what? ACD/AYC Brembos Recaros etc. makes the Evo superior over WRX. Without those I tend to see the Lancer Turbo as a WRX in a Lancer shell and a slightly stronger engine.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Look closely

'dogg, you quoted my entire post, but did you actually read it? Does not deliver as promised. Show me where Mitsubishi has promised anything. 250+hp, under 30K - that's it. They've said nothing about Recaros, Brembos, etc.

Now here's where it gets tricky. To the unwashed and uninformed, The Evolution isn't anything but a funny looking Mirage. And now with the current bodystyle, a funny looking Lancer. They've used the same platform ever since the Evo I. So what if it they call it a Cedia Tubo over there, it has always used the same platform as the base car, there just using that name to differentiate the three or four trim levels that are going to be offered. But we educated people know that those crafty Mitsu engineers can take that base car, change the suspension, drop in a hot engine, stiffer framer, AWD, maybe a viscous diff (think RS) and have something otherworldy. So what's the difference if the top version
has more goodies underneath. It'll come out of the same factory, and then sent to Ralliart.
Mitsubishi promised an EVOLUTION not Lancer turbo. That's what they promised. What kind of EVO doesn't have brembos and AYC? Tell me please. All they're doing now is slapping the EVOLUTION badge on the Lancer Turbo.

Evo isn't anything but a funny looking Mirage/Lancer? Wow you're a true enthusiast! You're missing the point. We don't care what it's called, as long as it has all the things necessary. Like I said they said EVOLUTION and now we're getting a rebadged Lancer Turbo.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

If all this is correct, I think its safe to say that, the hype and want for this car will deminish, until the real EVO comes out. On the other hand, if this holds true and the EVO doesn't come out for another 3-whatever months...i think im going to buy an MR2T or an Eclipse.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 05:39 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Let's go over once again what said in their Jan 4th press release:

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. announced today that the Lancer Evolution, a rally-tuned model previously unavailable in North America, will be coming to U.S. showrooms next year. The announcement is sure to please enthusiasts who have hungered for the high-performance version of the popular new Lancer sedan.

Last year, the Lancer badge, already renowned in global markets, burst onto Mitsubishi's North American product line-up to great reviews and strong sales. This compact sedan -- replete with big-car features -- lets customers know that a low sticker price doesn't require a compromise in comfort, fun or durability. Evolution is a standout in the U.S. market's Lancer family.

Lancer Evolution: It's Coming!

The magnificent Lancer Evolution will appear in U.S. showrooms in the spring of 2003. ``The Lancer EVO is our chance to stir the blood of every enthusiast and build our reputation as a major performance player in this country,'' said Pierre Gagnon, president and chief operating officer of MMSA. ``It will cast warm light on every product we sell. When we say we build spirited cars for spirited people, everyone will be listening.''

Building on the Lancer sedan's robustly designed unibody, Mitsubishi's engineers pulled out all the stops, taking ``The Bionic Man'' approach to reinvention of a stronger, faster and smarter performance car. This unrivalled compact, super-sedan speaks volumes to Mitsubishi's technological prowess, and World Rally Championship winning heritage. Expect the Lancer Evolution sedan we'll see in U.S. showrooms to rumble with a 2.0 liter turbocharged, inline-four developing more than 250 rabid horses, gravity-defying four-wheel-drive handling, eye-ball displacing Brembo brakes and a sub-30K sticker price.
Note that he says "eye-ball displacing Brembo brakes." So those better be there on the US Evo.

So now we're gonna have 2 versions? Big deal.

Version 1: Lancer Turbo with 230 - 250 HP and AWD priced right around the WRX. They will not attach the Evo monicker (sp?) to this version.

Version 2: Lancer Evolution (Ralliart) with 280 - 320 HP with a base price of $29,900 before options like HIDs and maybe ACD/AYC. That can easily be done.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Mass produce the Lancer Turbo and make lots of $$$ and make the Lancer Evolution (Ralliart) limited production and boost your image.

Still if they decide to charge $40K for the real Evolution then can suck my ****.

BTW, here is the list of employee emails (provided by Soleman20) in case you want someone to ***** to.

pgagnon@mmsa.com
MLewis@mmsa.com
AMadjeski@mmsa.com
amarbury@mmsa.com
aschneider@mmsa.com
bart@mmsa.com
CGeil@mmsa.com
cmoore@mmsa.com
CRoss@mmsa.com
CSprole@MMSA.com
dbetian@mmsa.com
dhenry@mmsa.com
DJones@mmsa.com
dolin@mmsa.com
dwalter@mmsa.com
hthomas@mmsa.com
Hudson.Audio@mmsa.com
jcovington@mmsa.com
jdearie@mmsa.com
jdelello@mmsa.com
jfountain@mmsa.com
jlittle@mmsa.com
jlm@mmsa.com
jshaffer@mmsa.com
jsun@mmsa.com
jwilliams@mmsa.com
kcuster@mmsa.com
kdobbins@mmsa.com
lchick@mmsa.com
LRayner@MMSA.COM
Lwu@mmsa.com
mfernwalt@mmsa.com
mkezsely@mmsa.com
mlewis@mmsa.com
MTanimoto@mmsa.com
nmilton@mmsa.com
rbarlow@mmsa.com
SGentry@mmsa.com
smcneal@mmsa.com
sysop@MMSA.COM
tarrington@mmsa.com
tneal@mmsa.com
tromero@mmsa.com

http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...ight=ramblings
Old Jul 3, 2002, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Wha-?

Evo isn't anything but a funny looking Mirage/Lancer? Wow you're a true enthusiast!
No. No. No. I said:

To the unwashed and uninformed, The Evolution isn't anything but a funny looking Mirage. And now with the current bodystyle, a funny looking Lancer.
And then I went on to say, we educated folks know that it is much more then that. If I am not mistaken the RS evolution doesn't have the ACD or the AYC, it even comes on four cheap steel wheels because they know that they're going into rally use and those people are gonna buy their own wheels anyway. Maybe it has the Brembos, and maybe that will be a separate option that we will be able to add. By your logic, does this car not deserve to wear the Evolution badge?

All it'll be is a new 4-door Eclipse GSX (4G63 detuned, AWD without ACD/AYC, no brembos, you get the picture)
No I don't. I think the current EVO chassis is superior to the DSM body and that it will be better then a 4-door Eclipse, Brembos or not. My point is if they release a range of cars from something like 26-32. Then they will have met their goal.

If Nissan gave out the news that the new GT-R will be available in the US for 30k, and then a year later they gave you the GT-R shell, RB26DETT detuned to 250hp, AWD with no ATTESA, no Brembos, no Recaros, heck you would be pissed off too.
No I wouldn't. They sell RWD GTR's, none of them have all the stuff the V-specs have. Mitsu sold a MR 3000GT VR-4 that didn't have the active aero or AWS. It's all about the duckets, I can go to the aftermarket and get all that stuff back. Gotta pay to play.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

It seems like it would make more sense to offer a "sport package" or "ralliart" package. The Evo would be at a set hp with or without the package but the package would include Brembos, Recaros, 17's, 6-speed, etc, etc. for something like $3000. That would be a better idea and seems like it would be more cost effective than having two seperate models.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

There was a rumor that someone that worked in the marketing dept. for revealed the base price would be right around 28,600. I think 32k msrp would be an ok price for a "ralliart" package.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

if I still lived in the US (I have for a while), I would get the most basic Evo I can get than put all my own stuff on. No Brembos? No problem, there's always AP/Movit. No ACD/AYC? Get mechanical diffs. Detuned engine? Just tune it back up (you will eventually do it anyway). Recaros? Just go buy some, in fact now you can choose from a wider range. Suspension? After 6 months, you will want to get upgraded stuff.

I really like my car but if I would do it all again I would get an RS and save the money for tuning.

Quick Reply: REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.