Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2002, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good deal.

GP: This car will have a limited production run. The price will be over 30K period, even if they only release the Cedia here. Dealers will STILL charge 5-6K over MSRP. Price is not an issue, the specs are. I don't want a watered down Evo for 30K man, I want the real deal.
Me too. But apparently price is the issue for most of us. Mitsu can't do anything about dealers charging over MSRP, the consumers demand for the car will determine that.

Note that he says "eye-ball displacing Brembo brakes." So those better be there on the US Evo.
Agreed. The two version idea makes a lot of sense, rather the rolling out one high dollar car and placing it on a pedastel. Didn't we go through this before when people were saying that "real men" don't need/want AYD? Or even an ACD, that's what the handbrake is for right? I'm joking, having never driven either car I can't really say whether I want it or not. But I do like the idea of having the choice to strike it off and maybe saving myself a couple of G's

I really like my car but if I would do it all again I would get an RS and save the money for tuning.
An interesting point. I just want to be able to get my foot in the door with the basic components that a base EVO will have to offer, then I'll modify it to make my own unique creation. It's kinda like the old muscle car days. Back then, it wasn't just V8 or V6, it was 327, 350, 454. This rear end or that rear end. Buckets or bench. Hurst shifter or three on the tree, Commando or Hemi, SS/RS or Trans Am. You see what I mean? All of those cars had the right to bear the name Firebird, or 'Cuda, or Chevelle, no matter what the owner chose. Of course, we all want the same layout, engine AWD, but those other bits and pieces may or may not be necessary to everybody. It doesn't lessen the unique engineering that went into producing the car in the first place.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might take our deposit for EVO back - there are other NICE cars out there

Hi all,

I am pretty irritate and frustrated by all of this secret stuff. Why don't just tell us what it is that they are delivering and when they will be shipping the cars. They will loose sales if they don't act soon. There are many nice or better cars that are coming out that you can get and not deal with this frustration.

Two of my friends took their deposti back on the EVO and bought Porsche Boxsters. 2000 Boxster S for 32K. That is 250 HP. There is a Supercharger option that brings it up to 350 HP or a T Turbo option that will bring it to 440HP. 1999 Boxster goes for 28K.

Another friend drop the EVO pursue and got a WRX. I might do the same and take my deposit back from the local dealer.

Check out Road&Track August 2002: page 53, Toyota is bringing the Supra back for 30K in 2004. pg. 74, Mustang Cobra with 390HP for 34,750 (0-60 4.9 sec, 1/4 mile@13.3 sec.)
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:13 AM

Talking I was right

Ha,
My prediction was right!
I knew this was going to happen. check out the post i made early this
year.

Just click on this link and it should take you to my old post.

http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/...ht=my+two+cents

peace.

-Serum
Old Jul 3, 2002, 01:09 PM

Re: I might take our deposit for EVO back - there are other NICE cars out there

Originally posted by btatbui

Check out Road&Track August 2002: page 53, Toyota is bringing the Supra back for 30K in 2004.
can someone please tell me EVERYTHING that is known for the new supra? will it be turbo? what will it look like? brembos? do you guys think it would be comparable to the evo?
Old Jul 3, 2002, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: I might take our deposit for EVO back - there are other NICE cars out there

Originally posted by cary

can someone please tell me EVERYTHING that is known for the new supra? will it be turbo? what will it look like? brembos? do you guys think it would be comparable to the evo?
Couple possibilities so far:

1) Altezza wheelbase (IS300)
2) New Soarer wheelbase (SC430)
3) totally new wheelbase that will be shared with 4500GT

engines:

1) highly tuned 3S-GE + turbo = 3S-GTE (2.0 liter turbo)
2) highly tuned new turbo engine (possibly new 2.6 or 2.8 liter twin turbo inline 6)
3) new 2JZ-GTE engine (possibly 3JZ-GTE, 3.5 liter twin turbo with dual VVT-i, looking at 400hp.)

but all those are just possible rumors. I guess we just gotta wait.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Re: I was right

Originally posted by serum
Ha,
My prediction was right!
I knew this was going to happen. check out the post i made early this
year.

Just click on this link and it should take you to my old post.

http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/...ht=my+two+cents

peace.

-Serum
while i dont doubt this will happen.....this is still a rumor
Old Jul 3, 2002, 05:03 PM

Angry OK this is starting to turn my stomach

First off: QUIT YOUR DAMN BICKERING! I don't care who said what to whom...the issue is (and always has been) What the HELL are we GETTING!?!?!

I'm getting a bit skeptical about a full-blown Evo VIII coming to the US...let alone soon. Other cars are starting to tempt me I feel so ashamed ...could... .... somebody hold me?

OK. If Evo VIII is released only overseas, I'm still probably going to get one! DAMMIT!!!
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

am pretty irritate and frustrated by all of this secret stuff. Why don't just tell us what it is that they are delivering and when they will be shipping the cars. They will loose sales if they don't act soon.
Probably because they are in an intense battle with Subaru and don't want to play their hand too quickly. What would all you detractors say if Mitsu released all the specs and all the prices, and then Subaru tweaks their STi at the last minute to gain five plus horsepower and $1000 less on the MSRP. People like me wouldn't care and still get an EVO, because there's more to car then price and hp, but the feeling I get from a few of you would be, that you'd say something like "Mitsu sucks, they bring out a car that's worse then Subaru and it costs more." They want to wait as long as they can so Subaru will have to commit to whatever is they're building and not be able to do anything about it if the VIII is a much better car, then the STi. Its how you stay on top, its how you win, you don't let your competitor in your garage, or in your pit crew. You don't show everybody your cards when you're playing poker. And all of this is in the spirit of competition, a game so to speak. I don't see anybody *****in' about the specs on the next Accord, which Honda is being very undercover about. Spy photos show a car covered with all kind of camoflauge, but the success of the car is very important to them. Much like this sports car is for Mitsu, it's the same thing.

Two of my friends took their deposti back on the EVO and bought Porsche Boxsters.
So what. Your friends decided they didn't want to wait for what is likely going to be a much better car. Mitsu's car doesn't compete in the two seat sporster class. But as for as performance is concerned, your friends settled for less. But, if they're happy with their decision, so be it, that doesn't prove anything.

I have a feeling, with the NA trend showing up with the new 350Z and the RX-8, and the fact that Nissan's turbo motors don't pass new Japanese emissions, that possibly Toyota's 2JZ-GTE doesn't either and the next Supra will show up with a NA I-Force V8.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 05:22 AM

Subaru WRX2200

Is this for real?

Subaru WRX2200

Tweaked Honda S2000 Body/Chassis
Subaru 2.2 Sequential Twin Turbo Boxer Engine
465 hp/9000 rpm readline
$37000.00

http://www.caranddriver.com-roadtest...20Page%201.htm
Old Jul 4, 2002, 05:47 AM

No its fake. Your browser ignores everything in the URL before the @ symbol. The address you are looking at is not www.caranddriver.com its www.candieandzack.com.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 05:49 AM

Thanks

Thank you
Old Jul 4, 2002, 07:29 AM
GDB
Evolving Member

Re: Already a world beater.

Originally posted by GPTourer

Last I checked the Lancer has already proven itself by dominating the WRC. Despite the trouble it is having right now, its past success with the platform have proven it to be a sturdy reliable and over all top performing car.
Just to let you know, the "reliability" problem that was mentioned earlier was probably a reference to the recent (and still ongoing) recall fiasco happening in Japan.

It was probably as big a deal as the Firestone tire scandal over there.

The CEO of Mitsubishi Motors if I remember correctly had to step down because of it.

It was rumored that the launch of the Evo VII back in January 2001 was delayed a few months because of this fiasco as well.

Everyone, I don't think comparing WRC to normal roadgoing cars is a valid point. If so, then the STi would be kicking the Evo's *** (which we know it doesn't ). WRC always uses the best stuff available for the hardware; probably only the outer body shell is exactly the same (even so, I have my doubts; they probably added some welding spots on the body).

WRC RELIABILITY is really down to the TEAM; the expertise, professionalism and dedication of the team members/engineers.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Group A

Everyone, I don't think comparing WRC to normal roadgoing cars is a valid point.
I see your point, but I'm not so sure I completely agree with that. One of the reasons Mitsubishi's success was so hallowed was because they were using (and I'm not sure this the correct terminology, someone who knows more may interjct) a Group A car to compete in WRC (Evo I-VI). And the main reason for the Cedia platform to be used was so they could step up and use WRC specs to really compete. In Group A, the car actually has to be built and homoglated, thus it has to resemble some form of road car the company produces, and thus the success and technology they develop do trickle down to the cars that the Japanese and the Europeans and someday we can acutally buy. There's a closer bond between the car McRae drives that we'll be able to buy than what Dale Jr. drives and your typical Monte Carlo. Even still Mitsubishi has taken its lumps, and the company has lost lots of market share because of it, but I'm not counting them out yet.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:46 AM

My thoughts: well the JDM has all the gizmos and is $24,000. Even with import tax (gotta protect those domestics from those dang efficient yellow dudes) I'm sure they could squeeze it into the US for $30K.

Mitsubishi USA has blown it with the evo, they're gonna copy SOA and have a two-tier Evo (like WRX & STi), but SOA have already soaked up 18,000 potential buyers.

To win this war, MMSA need to either:
a) Send in the full, fire-breathing, panda raping evo and make it good value.
b) Send in a cheaper 4wd, 250hp lancer at around 22~23K.

They'll do neither, because they're thick as pig shiznit.
Old Jul 4, 2002, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

As LanEvo would post
Attached Thumbnails REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.-mjj.jpg  

Quick Reply: REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.