Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2002, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.

OK GUYS. I heard this info today from my cousin who spoke with HQ guys today (he knew those people before, and they gave him a ride in the LHD RS-ii I showed before). This COULD be true, but I hope it's not....

In January of 2003, a WORLD LAUNCH of new EVO will be released. The thing is, in Japan, Imprezas are separated into classes, with the non-turbo versions, the WRX, and of course the WRX STi, tuned by STi. Evolution is tuned by Ralliart. The problem is, the new version EVO they're going to release will NOT be tuned by Ralliart.

What that means is, in Japan they will be releasing a new model called LANCER CEDIA TURBO, which LOOKS like the current EVO-7, with the wide body, the spoiler, the wheels, 4G63 (detuned to 250hp), etc. BUT there will be no Brembo brakes, no great suspension, and NO ACD/AYC. This car will be called Lancer Evolution in other parts of the world, while being called Lancer Cedia Turbo in Japan (Similar to Cedia Wagon Turbo that just debuted, but much better engine).

What that means for us US market? We will be getting the same Lancer Evolution 7 that the Japanese people have, minus the brembos, minus ACD/AYC, and have a detuned 4G63 (everyone knows that), probably down to 250hp.

Cause? They estimated MSRP of below 30000 for US market, to compete with the WRX. Same with other parts of the world. However, Mitsubishi realized that it is hard to keep that promise if they throw in everything EVO 7 offers. Therefore they offer a new model in Japan, cutting cost by a large margin, and slap on EVO 7 badge for US. So we THINK we got the new EVO, but what it is is actually just a Lancer Cedia Turbo, that looks like the EVO7. Basically AirTrek stuff inside an Evo shell.

Good news:

There will, however, be the REAL Evo 7, most likely called Ralliart Evolution, which will compete with the WRX STi. By doing so, they can keep their promise with the MSRP under 30k, while offering a real performance model over 30k limit that can compete with the WRX STi. Hope this makes sense. And the Evo 7 will just be a top-of-the-line Lancer, called Lancer Evolution (probably VII but I didn't get any info about that).

I really don't want them to do this. Seeing EVO without all the Ralliart goodies is so empty. But who knows. This could be good news for people who absolutely wants the cost to be under 30k. What I'm pissed off about is that they had to introduce a cheaped-out model just to meet the 30k MSRP promise.

This is something like what Shirokuma posted in the Lancer/Cedia EVO thread but just giving you guys what I heard from Mitsu people HERE in US.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; Jul 2, 2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Hate to say it but I also believe that info is correct. The better Evo will be offered as an option packasge a little later I think..say spring 2003. There will indeed be a "WORLD LAUNCH" in January, meaning a universal Evo for the masses...I got that info from a source high up in but they really wouldn't say anymore.
I may just say screw it and buy a 6-speed G35 or new Cobra if it turns out to be true. I'm not buying a Evo that is comparable to a regular wrx.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

I hope this isn't true. But if it is, i hope people buy it so that it gives Mitsubishi the incentive to sell the real Evo. Even then, all this time we were just waiting, basically for something similar to the WRX, with the additional 20 hp. What kind of BS is that .
Old Jul 2, 2002, 05:31 PM

[Former reader, registered finally]

That sounds like the most realistic rumor I have heard to date. From a marketing standpoint that is probably what Mitsu would most likely do to justify making any money in the US. There would be no reason to offer a full blown Evo at just above a slightly loaded WRXs price...because we all know the WRX is far from a "loaded" car. But, I guess the next question is, when do we expect that to happen? That will be a tough decision between a WRX and a "Lancer Cedia Turbo" aka a a US spec Evo. I can picture this happening, at this point if that were to happen I'd probably go for the WRX and wait out until I can definitely afford a "Ralliart" Evo
Old Jul 2, 2002, 07:34 PM

Isn't this like, exactly what Shirokuma posted a week ago?

Will we know for sure what will happen at this dealer meeting in LV later this month?

I really would not mind this at all if they called this new car something other than "Evolution" and released the real "Evolution" later on (for whatever price they need to). Why not just call it the Lancer Turbo or some**** (like japan is calling it Lancer Cedia Turbo)~

Last edited by Gendo Ikari; Jul 2, 2002 at 07:39 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think I will pass if that is what it is!!!! I would rather get a used WRX for $19k, dump $2k into and save some $

I need 300hp or more to pay $30k+ for this type of car. Hopefully Mitsu steps up and gets us the real version for $28k

Scot
Old Jul 2, 2002, 09:15 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Yes, Paul brought this up a while back. He's the man when it comes to the latest info Here's the post he made:

http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/t5401.html

Man, I see a tough sell if the car only has 250hp and costs close to $30,000. If this version of the Evolution was closer to $25,000 then I would see a better shot at becoming a success because then it competes with the WRX closely and has the numbers on it.

Mark
Old Jul 2, 2002, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

30 grand for an awd turbo version of the lancer? No thanks If it was 24 grand like a wrx then it makes a lot more sence.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 12:41 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate realistic rumors b/c you never know if it's going to be true .

The fact is that, at the car show they specifically said they'll retain everything except anything that'll affect U.S. standards.

If they're selling me a wrx type car forget it. I'm selling my spot. The reason i getting the evo was the acd/acy that is why it's better than a sti on the road. And brembo and recario of course could be added if the pricing drops to 27k instead of 29k. Personally i'm willing to spend 32k for a full blown jdm spec U.S. evo.

Remember they cost 24k in japan so 30k for a full blown version is very realistic. Hopefully we'll get the spec and options on the 14th.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 12:55 AM

This is terrible....I don't want a Lancer Cedia Turbo...I'm sorry :

No Brembos and throw out ACD/AYC, PLUS give us non-Ralli Art suspension? OMG....I'm irrate. This is a bad decision if there ever was one.

So when will we get the REAL Evo?

Importing is getting more and more likely for me. I knew they would water down the Evo, but not take the heart of the car out and throw it out the window. This better not be true....but it sounds like it is

Evolution Se7en
Old Jul 3, 2002, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

if they're going to just make a top of the line Lancer Turbo then they better lower the cost to something like 26~27k. 2~3k over WRX's price will probably be okay with 250hp engine and other goodies. However if it's going to be 30k, I would expect AYC/ACD and brembos.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's be real.

Yeah, I'm biased, I know. But what kinda bothers me is when I hear people say, "Dammit if I can't get an EVO with GDI, Recaros, ACD, AYD, Brembos, and a partridge in a pear tree for $26,000, screw Mitsu I'm buying a (insert M3, WRX, Murcialago, etc). I tend to think these people aren't real fans of the car anyway. Mitsu hasn't promised anything except 250+hp and under 30K. Worldwide the full blown EVO already costs more then a WRX, so why is this such a suprise to hear stuff like this? Why are they necessarily supposed to be able to deliver all of that and match the WRX's price? If the EVO and the WRX had the exact same specs and cost exactly the same, I'd still buy a Mitsu. If it costs 28,000 and I only get 10 more hp and maybe nice brakes and a special diff, still going for Mitsu. If it cost 26K and had the same specs, guess what? My point is, if you guys really thought you could get all that top shelf stuff for under 30, you were kidding yourselves, and its no reason to hate the company. It sounds to me we'll be able to pick and choose the options we want. If you feel sold out abused, and/or misled, then buy whatever you want, be happy with your choice, and when you see me high rollin' in my Ralliart Cedia, or whatever it's gonna be called, you'll be feelin' that remorse. Don't worry, I'll give you a good trade allowance.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 01:33 AM

Hey that cool. If they bring a road legal EVO into the US that makes it even easier to import one for road use from Europe!

Quick Reply: REALLY BAD news for U.S. spec EVO.