Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Engine blew tonight!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your goal of mid 11s in the 1/4 on pump are VERY doable with a mild build. Since you air-holded your block the cheapest option to get you back up and running is a 4g64 setup. If i were you I would first find out exactly what caused the first motor to pop before diving into the next build. losing a motor can be an expensive lesson and even more expensive if you don't learn from your mistakes the first time around... good luck
Old Jun 3, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
What mods were done to the motor ?
Stock motor. Cams were the only thing I had changed. I am the third owner so who knows, but I did buy the car as stock appearing.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Your best bet would be a 2.4L because the core's are cheap and that would help keep the cost down. The 4g64 long rod setup is great for high rev's and could put you into the 11's without a problem.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

If anyone has Chad Block's Private Line on speed dial please let him know to reach out to me. I took off work to try to get my car towed today. Next possible day I could pull this off would be a week from now. Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you jsut send me an email about doing your engine swap? I will send Chad the link to this thread!!!!

Sean
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
your goal of mid 11s in the 1/4 on pump are VERY doable with a mild build. Since you air-holded your block the cheapest option to get you back up and running is a 4g64 setup. If i were you I would first find out exactly what caused the first motor to pop before diving into the next build. losing a motor can be an expensive lesson and even more expensive if you don't learn from your mistakes the first time around... good luck
Love this information right here. Find out why it failed so it does not happen with the new motor otherwise you might be repeting the same event again. I would sugguest getting a 2.4 as well since your block is toast. I got a 2.4 and never looked back but my block was not toast in your case u want to make sure all the other parts are good to go. Also it will cost you more then 3k on top to get this going installation labor machine work parts etc not to mention your head might have damage as well. so plan on spending north of 5k

Originally Posted by teribble
Your best bet would be a 2.4L because the core's are cheap and that would help keep the cost down. The 4g64 long rod setup is great for high rev's and could put you into the 11's without a problem.
a std 2.4 can get him there easy as well
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
Did you jsut send me an email about doing your engine swap? I will send Chad the link to this thread!!!!

Sean
Thanks Sean, I talked to Chad. Car will be shipped off today hopefully.

Last edited by Hardware; Jun 3, 2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: updated info
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
Love this information right here. Find out why it failed so it does not happen with the new motor otherwise you might be repeting the same event again. I would sugguest getting a 2.4 as well since your block is toast. I got a 2.4 and never looked back but my block was not toast in your case u want to make sure all the other parts are good to go. Also it will cost you more then 3k on top to get this going installation labor machine work parts etc not to mention your head might have damage as well. so plan on spending north of 5k
never looked back, huh. is your car even done?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

atleast let us know what happened....so possibly someone else can avoid this situation.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
atleast let us know what happened....so possibly someone else can avoid this situation.
I can tell you exactly what I did and what happened. I got on the throttle hard in 3rd gear and it blew up. What I know. The MBC was set for about 22psi. Car was tuned at 27.6psi. Changed the oil just over 300 miles ago. Checked oil twice since then and it was perfect on the dip stick. I was going in a straight line up a slight hill when this happened.

I just installed a Synapse DV earlier last night and after the first run I lowered the boost as it might have overboosted on that run. It was snappy and accelerated quicker than I remember and then gave a few pop sounds out the exhaust so I let off. Not sure if it was overboost or spark issue. Right after that pull I lowered it and it was hitting at 22psi.

I was going to regap the plugs down to .021 from .024 and reflash an older tune onto the car, but the engine was pretty hot after getting on it. Figured I'd wait until today to do it. (Wish I opted to burn my hands instead) Last night I went out to get some groceries, went to get on it and it happened. I have no clue what the boost was, but have no reason to believe it was higher than 22psi since I didn't touch the MBC. I will say that I got on it in 2nd slightly, but shifted to third and went WOT. It definitely pulled like an animal. I don't know if a BOV could make a change like that, but it seriously felt insane for a split second and then smoke and it turned my smile to a frown. If I learned anything I'm guessing the previous crushed MR valve was leaking since the boost seemed to jump up after installing the synapse.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
never looked back, huh. is your car even done?
been done. just redoing e85 tune with harder spring is all. you will see updates soon back on topic
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'd also go 2.4 since you have no core.

Also, remember the random parts like cam gears, fresh gaskets, 2.4L head gasket, belts, all new fluids, new pumps, etc. Those parts alone will run you $1000-$1500 depending on what you go with. If you're going to have a shop install the block, count on it being somewhere around $2500-$3000 just for labor.

Good luck man, it gets expensive very quick.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrah2987
Yeah, I'd also go 2.4 since you have no core.

Also, remember the random parts like cam gears, fresh gaskets, 2.4L head gasket, belts, all new fluids, new pumps, etc. Those parts alone will run you $1000-$1500 depending on what you go with. If you're going to have a shop install the block, count on it being somewhere around $2500-$3000 just for labor.

Good luck man, it gets expensive very quick.
LOL I think that was the worst part about building the evo motor. all the little parts and labor etc just keeps adding and adding and adding. . You will surpass 3k easily
Old Jun 3, 2011, 02:00 PM

Amen, I just got done building a 2.4L for my Evo. While it's cheaper than sourcing another Evo block, it still all adds up with new pulleys, tensioner, oil pump, front cover, adjustable cam gears, belts, gaskets, machining. You're probably looking $4500+ to have it done. I think mine came in around a little over $2500 doing all the work myself.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

I think some of you misunderstood me.

"I'd like to spend the least amount possible to get it running on a stock engine, but could probably handle $2-$3,000 extra on a setup that would be much safer."

So if it costs x amount of $$$ to get back to stock I'd possibly spend $2-$3k more if there are benefits to do so. I'm basically looking to avoid this situation again at all costs.

Quick Reply: My Engine blew tonight!