Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Engine blew tonight!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You blew the motor with a Red at 22 psi? That probably rules torque out as the culprit.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 to whomever said it gets expensive quick. Whatever you plan to spend on paper, add 50% for things you can't plan for. Cereal.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardware
I think some of you misunderstood me.

"I'd like to spend the least amount possible to get it running on a stock engine, but could probably handle $2-$3,000 extra on a setup that would be much safer."

So if it costs x amount of $$$ to get back to stock I'd possibly spend $2-$3k more if there are benefits to do so. I'm basically looking to avoid this situation again at all costs.
then you might as well go built then going back to a stock motor is a waste and you have to pull the block anyways to get this done. so since you have to pull the block drop a built motor in there. Go ahead and get it over with. Nobody said you had to build your head new turbo pipping etc. just build the shortblock now since its coming out. instead of later on deciding you want to go built and having to pull the motor yet again and respend even more money.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I agree with the few people on here. Just do the 2.4 setup. Some manley 150mm h beam rods, and wiseco 9:1 pistons. That wouldnt be to expensive and a pretty easy setup.

Misc stuff will cost you around 500 so add all that stuff together and you will be close as long as you didnt beat up the head.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 05:39 AM

core charges for the block and crank are one of the factors that need to be looked at. I ended up with a built MAP block for this reason. If your looking for another 2.0, cores are a killer. compare core charges..now if you want a 2.4.... go with the buscher block!!!! cores arent an issue. the little expenses are gonna add up quick. new gasket kit, front case, oil cooler,water pump,belts, tensioners, head studs, fluids, labor charges...... blahblahblah dont think it will happen overnight either! sorry to hear about your loss. good luck
Old Jun 4, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments so far. Hoping the head is usable, but won't know for at least a week. I'm thinking since I'm paying for the labor I might as well get back a different vehicle. Meaning a step above what I had in terms of engine. I just can't get too nuts so we'll see.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

If you're eventually going to build the head too, I would think about doing it all at once while the motor is out. You can at least save yourself some labor time doing it this way.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hardware
I can tell you exactly what I did and what happened. I got on the throttle hard in 3rd gear and it blew up. What I know. The MBC was set for about 22psi. Car was tuned at 27.6psi. Changed the oil just over 300 miles ago. Checked oil twice since then and it was perfect on the dip stick. I was going in a straight line up a slight hill when this happened.

I just installed a Synapse DV earlier last night and after the first run I lowered the boost as it might have overboosted on that run. It was snappy and accelerated quicker than I remember and then gave a few pop sounds out the exhaust so I let off. Not sure if it was overboost or spark issue. Right after that pull I lowered it and it was hitting at 22psi.

I was going to regap the plugs down to .021 from .024 and reflash an older tune onto the car, but the engine was pretty hot after getting on it. Figured I'd wait until today to do it. (Wish I opted to burn my hands instead) Last night I went out to get some groceries, went to get on it and it happened. I have no clue what the boost was, but have no reason to believe it was higher than 22psi since I didn't touch the MBC. I will say that I got on it in 2nd slightly, but shifted to third and went WOT. It definitely pulled like an animal. I don't know if a BOV could make a change like that, but it seriously felt insane for a split second and then smoke and it turned my smile to a frown. If I learned anything I'm guessing the previous crushed MR valve was leaking since the boost seemed to jump up after installing the synapse.

Each time my tuner has tuned my car he's given me this warning; "right before your motor is gonna blow you'll have a big smile on your face because your car will feel faster than it ever has before". Not too bring humor to the situation but what else can you do.

I had a direct from Mitsibishi short block put in my car after spinning a rod bearing, had the head worked gaskets oil pan etc. $6600
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thegoodservant
Each time my tuner has tuned my car he's given me this warning; "right before your motor is gonna blow you'll have a big smile on your face because your car will feel faster than it ever has before". Not too bring humor to the situation but what else can you do.

I had a direct from Mitsibishi short block put in my car after spinning a rod bearing, had the head worked gaskets oil pan etc. $6600
I can handle joking around. The only thing that pisses me off about this situation is I wasted Brad Penn that had about 300 miles on it. : p

Your tuner was right. It seriously took off like a rocket for a split second or two. Then it was all over.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That's rough man...after all that BS you went thru with tuners and trying to get ur setup to run right...the motor gives out. Check out MAP for some very competitive pricing on complete 2.4L blocks...a bit cheaper than the rest and probably one of the best customer service reputations on the forum.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
That's rough man...after all that BS you went thru with tuners and trying to get ur setup to run right...the motor gives out. Check out MAP for some very competitive pricing on complete 2.4L blocks...a bit cheaper than the rest and probably one of the best customer service reputations on the forum.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking into multiple options so I hopefully don't go through this again.

Car is at CBRD. I know Chad will take care of Eva for me.

-Brian
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my block went in April. Been sidelined since.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
You blew the motor with a Red at 22 psi? That probably rules torque out as the culprit.
I don’t understand how this happened unless the original poster means he spiked to like 30 PSI and then fell down to 22PSI. I have a Red on pump gas and a stock bottom end and 22PSI is nothing on this turbo. I mean I have ran 24PSI and it isn’t much, the car is just very smooth and has zero hint of turbo drop-off like the stock turbo.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
I don’t understand how this happened unless the original poster means he spiked to like 30 PSI and then fell down to 22PSI. I have a Red on pump gas and a stock bottom end and 22PSI is nothing on this turbo. I mean I have ran 24PSI and it isn’t much, the car is just very smooth and has zero hint of turbo drop-off like the stock turbo.
Something wasn't right with the car. I had random popping out the exhaust at WOT since winter time. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes it wouldn't. I figured it was happening because it was colder out so I lowered the boost in winter. At first it seemed to go away, but randomly it would happen again.

I didn't get on the throttle much because of that. Last Thursday we got reasonable weather for me to pop on the new BOV. I took it out for a test run, had it pop at WOT, turned down the boost. Gauge was reading 22psi.

Took the car out a few hours later and got on the throttle, that was it. I'm leaning towards that (backfire, popping, etc..) being the culprit more than the PSI. I've never seen above 28psi on my gauge. The car was tuned for 27.6 so I'm guessing the problem was elsewhere. Like I said I was going to regap and use a different tune, unfortunately I didn't get to that part.

The tow truck driver said he thinks it's a fuel issue. He'd check the injector on the cylinder that failed. I don't know squat, but thought this was worth mentioning. We'll find out more sooner or later.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
popping is missing, maybe bad plugs did you in.

Quick Reply: My Engine blew tonight!