Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2.3L stroker kits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3L stroker kits

Ok forgive me if I don't know what I am talking about. very new to the modifications world and to any form of automotive maintenance. I currently have a bad motor. rod bearing or something of that nature I from what the noise sounds like. I got a few questions about a rebuild. I figure since I gotta pull the motor and replace the internals why not do an upgrade. Just curious to know what kits everyone is throwing into theirs or setup options. thinking of something under 4k.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not trying to be a dick but your best bet would be to locate an engine builder in your area who has experience with these engines and then talk to them. If there are none in your area search online and give them a call, since your very new to modifications your going to need someone to do the build for you.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

your best shot is buy a buschur or ams short block but is not gonna be above $4k
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

yah I was thinking AMS or cosworth
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

oh and it is very hard to find anyone within 8 hrs of this town in montana that knows a lot about imports let alone evo's.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RoryMarckese
oh and it is very hard to find anyone within 8 hrs of this town in montana that knows a lot about imports let alone evo's.
sounds like the situation I was in and i had to make that drive to get the job done correctly. If you cant do the work yourself then it will be more then 4k to switch out the shortblock and dont forget you will need to get new fluids and gaskets as well as might as well change belt dont forget fluidampr. So not doing the work yourself expect to spend 3k or so on just labor not including parts or the new shortblock. Just be prepared for that FACT
Old Jun 5, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

I decided to get a buscher short block 2.3L stroker. like 3,500 for one off their site. I got a guy that used to be a mechanic I work with in the military to help me. another question I have that is probably a dumb one is, for the head....will it mount proporly? do I need to do anything to it to support the difference for the bottom end? I was just thinking cams and valves upgraded.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

I would suggest cams and upgraded valve springs at least. The valves are pretty good from the factory (I think).

but as a rule with the evo when you have questions about the performance or reliability of a part, "when in doubt, upgrade" usually works pretty well

good luck with the rebuild.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

ya i believe that would be a good idea. any suggestions on cams and valves?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
should port the head as well headgames offers great pricing package for built heads. even buschur stage 3 head is a monster

cams fp 4r, gsc 2 gsc3 kelford 272
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

there it goes the $4k budget and look more around $8k.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

not concerned with money since i got till september to come up with the money for my winter project. not to sure about buying a built head rather just port it and throw in the cams and valves
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Not to hijack your thread but somebody knows about drining daily on forged internals?
How many miles can we expect? Cold start also in winter?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...3076build.html
There is just about everything you'll need in here. Also, instead of thinking kit, think combination of parts you like. Example: 100mm Oem 4g64 crank, rods, Ross pistons. Or, winberg crank, carrillo rods and je pistons. That way you get a better power plant that's built around your wants, goals and budget.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

thats the thing I really don't know a lot but my car doesn't run and the motor is so very sick I just wanna do a complete swap. New block with everything in it seems easier for me to do. as for the cold start in winter. well the project will go through winter untill the car is completely done. Got another DD till this one is done for the road and a little track use

Quick Reply: 2.3L stroker kits