Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Regular tune vs Tephra V7

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regular tune vs Tephra V7

Hey guys i am getting my car tuned soon after i put in my timing belt kit and cams. i was wondering what are the benefits to getting tuned with tephra rather than a regular flash? its only like a $40 difference for me so i am wondering if it is worth it.

current mods:
Downpipe
Test pipe
Espiller JGT500 catback
MBC
Kelford 272's (I am installing these without springs and retainers i was told that this was ok.. is that true?)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on kelfords 272 with stock springs and retainers. People will different preferences. I'm staying with stock rev range so stock springs are ok. Some will say you can run kelfords 272 with stock springs as long as you stay stock rev limit. I usually shift at 7 anyway. If you want higher reviving then get springs and retainers.

I am also waiting for an answer between a flash and a tephra . I'm scheduled to get tuned in a couple weeks.

We have pretty similar mods but my car is a evo 9.
Cobb tuning full 3 inch turboback
Test pipe
Ams mbc
Dejon intake pipe with ARC intake box
Kelford 272s

Last edited by shifthard; Jun 8, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might be "ok" for now on the stock springs but if your changing out the cams mise well spend a little longer and do springs/retainers. I was going to get GSC S2's (which compare very close to the Kelfords) and get springs/retainers, just bc it's "insurance" for me..

It only takes once to float a valve.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
i would go with V7 it has bigger maps that give higher res so the power is smoother
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are not going to utilize the Tephra mods than no. I use them for a variety of different things. Turning off my rear o2 sensor and simulating it. I also like the 2-step lauch and map switching. Hell even valle mode is a cool option. I would recommend looking in the ECU Flash section and checking it out. It is actually quite easy to do your self.

Get the springs and retainers now. It is much easier to do at the same time and that way you won't have to pay twice on labor if you decide to do it later. I did not get them with my S1's due to budget at the time. I still wish I had simply gone straight to the S2 with springs and retainers. Now I am waiting until I build the engine.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am doing the work myself. I have supertech dual springs but not the retainers.... haha can I use my stock retainers? And also what is different about the 2step on tephra? What is the benefit of switching maps can u like run e85 and if u need gas switch the map to like a 93 octane tune n fill with 93? Im staying stock rev and I don't usually shift higher than 6500 n that's very rare I go that high.