Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help...Open throttle around 4-5k RPM losing HP....?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...Open throttle around 4-5k RPM losing HP....?

I have been having an issue with driving my car around 4-5k rpms. It feels as if the the car is jolting back and forth and losing power. It only feels like that when I step on the accelerator quickly.

Maybe I need an Engine rebuild or is it even the engine? Thanks

All you members are so helpful on this forum and thank you in advance for helping me out... once again =)
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

How many miles on the car? Also how long has it been since you Checked your plug wires or plugs.

Athanasios
Old Jun 11, 2011, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Mods?
Tuned?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

You need to explain better what is happening. So are you saying your car drives fine during cruise and also during WOT, however if you are at light throttle at 4-5k then floor it, you get a misfire like feel? Try and describe whats going on with more details. the more the better.

Also whats done to the car, mileage, fuel used, tune, etc
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:21 AM

Athanasios- Bought the car a couple weeks ago and have not check them at all >.<, it also has 90k miles =).

gsrboi80- The mods that I see are, HKS intake, full 3 inch exhaust, crappy autometer gauges, (A/F, Oil Pressure, boost), Boost controller, HKS BoV, Tein springs. The guy I bought it from said that the injectors were 1000cc (never checked)

EatSleepBoost- I am trying to record it, but its hard to drive and record =(. When I am WoT and it goes to around 4-5k rpms it start to lose power, like it wants to stop then go... Im not too good at explaining this problem =(
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IWantAnEvo87
Athanasios- Bought the car a couple weeks ago and have not check them at all >.<, it also has 90k miles =).

gsrboi80- The mods that I see are, HKS intake, full 3 inch exhaust, crappy autometer gauges, (A/F, Oil Pressure, boost), Boost controller, HKS BoV, Tein springs. The guy I bought it from said that the injectors were 1000cc (never checked)

EatSleepBoost- I am trying to record it, but its hard to drive and record =(. When I am WoT and it goes to around 4-5k rpms it start to lose power, like it wants to stop then go... Im not too good at explaining this problem =(
That could be it, i finally decided to change my plugs and wires after 94k and this is what happened.

As you can see the wire was burnt away and the plugs with the wires on them had arching and the ceramic was brown, the plug with the Coil Over Plug was fine.

Still waiting for my wire set to come in but i had the same exact issue, it feels like fuel cut but it isn't.

Athanasios
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

yea based off the miles and issue i would say plugs as well. However based off the fact of unknown injectors and tune the issue may be there.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like its missing or hitting fuel cut.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bro,
Do you have EVOSCAN and a tactrix cable? Then you could do some logging and also are there any CELs. Because with an issue like your describing it sounds like there should be a check engine light or at least a pending CEL. If you just bought this car it wouldn't surprise me if this issue was already there maybe check your fuses, and make sure the fuse for your dash lights hasn't been unplugged.

I actually think I may know what you've got going on but I need some more info. Ummmm so when your driving does the car at 4-5K are you in 5th gear or does this happen in all gears in the same rev range. And with this hesitation at 4-5K does the car kind of just sputter like you press on the gas and the gar just kind of makes a sputtering noise and hesitate/refuse to accelerate?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:05 PM

It gives off a hesitate like I am going through a forcefield =), after 5k rpms it runs fine. I havent tried it into 5th gear, but it does do it in 3rd and 4th.

Again, Thanks for your guys help!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:13 PM

I tried taking a video again, but for some reason when I record, it will not make the noise haha =(. I will check my spark plugs today
Old Jun 11, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey I sent you a PM... I got a TSB that may help you find some resolution if you haven't already. LMK.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

I had the exact same problem with my 05 evo. I changed plugs to copper and it fixed the problem. I then went to iridium plugs and my car runs even better. My car would sputter and spit at like 4.5k-5.5k then pick back up.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

It gives off a hesitate like I am going through a forcefield =), after 5k rpms it runs fine. I havent tried it into 5th gear, but it does do it in 3rd and 4th.

Again, Thanks for your guys help!
Exact same issue as me, I still have to wait for my wires and test but I bet your wires and or plugs need changing. Use the original plugs for the car, NGK iridium's .

I know a lot use the copper , if you dont mind changing them every 3k then go ahead. I

Athanasios
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:16 PM

This makes me so happy hearing this from multiple people haha =) I hope that is the case for me as well. I have a set of, "NGK Laser Iridium Premiums" that I will be putting in tomorrow *crosses fingers*

Quick Reply: Help...Open throttle around 4-5k RPM losing HP....?