Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Good and the Bad...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Good and the Bad...

Hey guys... I decided to take Friday off this week and make a nice 3 day weekend. A local car club (CCDSM) had rented out Lebanon Valley Dragway for the evening, and I was very excited to get my car up there. I have had several quick cars, but never had a chance to drag any of them. Every year that there is a track rental it seems I can't get the day off or my car is apart for some reason or another. This year was different because I made it a point that I was going to go and nothing was stopping me...

About a month ago, I took a few teeth off of the weak 6 speed transmission and set out to buy a Bushwacker 5 speed. I just got done installing the transmission Thursday afternoon, and decided to call the local dyno shop in the area (Forced Induction Motor Sports) and see what the car would make for horsepower. I was very fired up about going to the track the next day. After a few dyno pulls, and adding 1.5psi of boost, the car made some good power. Stock turbo with 93oct, the car made 394whp / 384wtq @28psi. My AFRs were around 10.8-10.9 under full boost/high RPM. Since my wide-band wasn't setup to data log, I wasn't able to lean it out any yet, but I was perfectly happy where I was at because the car made more power than I anticipated and was reading 0 knock counts.

Anyway, I left the dyno at about 2:30-3:00AM and swung my buddy home about 15mins from there. I started heading back my way and was just cruising down the highway at 65MPH completely exhausted. About 10mins from his house, I heard a LOUD startling noise which scarred the **** out of me and my girlfriend. Smoke started pouring into the car and out of the hood everywhere and there was a bunch of terrible knocks and noises. The car dragged down quickly and I eased to the breakdown lane... There I got out quickly because it looked like the car was going to catch fire. I looked underneath the car and saw several quarts of oil pouring out. I didn't know what to say.... I just started walking away from the car. Along side of the quiet highway, I started collecting a few parts and then walked back to the car. I got home at 5AM after the Evo was flat-bedded into my driveway, only hours after completing my tranny swap. I didn't make it to the track with my car yet another year.

Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder what it was that caused that?

that sucks dude, sorry.

Athanasios
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nashou66
I wonder what it was that caused that?

that sucks dude, sorry.

Athanasios
I don't know.. I was asking myself the same thing. I was *SHOCKED*! The car wasn't knocking at all when we took it off the dyno, and I wasn't even beating on it when it went bang.. I was just cruising home.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:51 PM

Ouch.

Sorry to hear.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CtSilver03Evo
I don't know.. I was asking myself the same thing. I was *SHOCKED*! The car wasn't knocking at all when we took it off the dyno, and I wasn't even beating on it when it went bang.. I was just cruising home.

Same thing happened to my buddy's STi. His dad was cruising at about 70mph on the highway (he's older so he was definitely not ragging on it) and BAM! Loud noise and no power.

We got the car to my house and diagnosed it. Compression read 0-120-0-115 or something like that (this was like a year ago). Pulled the motor out and tore it apart. He snapped a rod in half and it destroyed the inside of the block!! Very costly mistake while just cruising down the road!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'd love to hear from some of the pro's on here what their thought are on this... sucks. I'm spent on cash right now.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:58 PM

Man..... Sorry about your loss. Very sad to see......
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Oh man, I'm sorry to see that. The cost and labor is a bummer, but sometimes the downtime is even worse.

Good luck
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:41 PM

and I thought I had it bad. It could have been worse though. Good to know everyone is okay (except your emotions).
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about the loss man I know an evo block is not easy to ind either it looks like the plug got hot let go on the piston became a glowplug from a lean condition and punched through the block. I had it happen to me before not a good sight but it was funny though when I had my honda trying to get it running right.

It was cheap so I can laugh at it looking back but for an evo man I hope you had insurance on the drivetrain components. Put a warrantee on it let it sit for like three months and see if they can fix it when you put a claim on it. Unless you want to get another motor for like 3-4k.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear that. That really sucks. Good luck finding a cheap replacement.

Are you sure the knock sensor was working correctly? Ive been tinkering with my maps for months and ill still get an occasional count of knock here & there.

Good luck man!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CtSilver03Evo
That happens a lot. You can do fatal damage to the motor and it will take a while to let you know its toast.

Sorry to hear. I think "the bad and the bad" is more of an appropriate thread title.

GL
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump for answers. Glad everybody is ok, including the evo.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
Bump for answers. Glad everybody is ok, including the evo.
Easy,

You ran 28PSI on pump gas without a wideband. You more than likely detonated and bent a rod slightly so it looked like a banana and as you were driving the rod finally bent, CAH-BLEW-EY. Detonation my friend.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ 28psi on a stock turbo is E85 territory, not 93oct. Who tuned your EVO? There should have been some knock counts and the tuner should have had the experience to realize, that 28psi was way to much on 93oct. Knock sensor fail, I had to replace mine after two year new from the factory and when removing it, was only hand tight, I didn't need any tools to remove it. Sounds like the tuner has very little experience with EVO's