Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost Leak Test FAILED! HELP.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmspaz
Beneath is a more accurate location, but yes.

And if it's the EGR hoses, there's this little thing on the dash call a MIL that will light up and tell you
My check engine light actually didn't come on when my EGR hose was blown off, so ya never know.

Last edited by mirkendargen; Jun 23, 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

My engine holds pressure when all normal, just a 3inch pvc cap with a quick connect screwed into it. Also, with a quick connect you can easily hear any leaks, no matter how big since you can basically empty a 6 gallon tank in like 30 seconds. Using a quick connect makes all the other issues "non-issues"
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HornstarBU
My engine holds pressure when all normal, just a 3inch pvc cap with a quick connect screwed into it. Also, with a quick connect you can easily hear any leaks, no matter how big since you can basically empty a 6 gallon tank in like 30 seconds. Using a quick connect makes all the other issues "non-issues"
Your method is improper. You should pressurize the system to the psi you are boosting at.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
Your method is improper. You should pressurize the system to the psi you are boosting at.

This is true. Tester should have a boost gauge built in and compressor should have a regulator on it.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

I need some popcorn hahaha.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Your criticism of my method being improper is improper.

I pressurize the system to the boost level....but when there is a gigantic leak, and the system isn't able to hold pressure (see original post), then blowing air through the system at a higher rate through a "quick connect" helps to find the leak, rather than using a bike pump with a valve stem on it.

L2read?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
This is true. Tester should have a boost gauge built in and compressor should have a regulator on it.
I guess I'm assuming someone is using the same type of air compressor I have, and not filling a 6 gallon tank, then just plugging that 150 psi tank up to their car....my 6gal tank has a regulator and gauge on it, so I set that 10psi, turn the "auto" switch off so the compressor doesn't start filling back up and making noise, then i test the system. I am sorry about not being ridiculously detailed, I thought we had discussed the common sense points already.

Oh, make sure not to pressurize using propane as well...I guess I should say that so no one gets confused. /endsarcasm

Last edited by HornstarBU; Jun 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can actually have the EGR lines reveresed and not have a CEL, weve seen this a few times- and you need to swap them-

cb
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Double post

Last edited by Evoryder; Jun 24, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I'm assuming someone is using the same type of air compressor I have, and not filling a 6 gallon tank, then just plugging that 150 psi tank up to their car....my 6gal tank has a regulator and gauge on it, so I set that 10psi, turn the "auto" switch off so the compressor doesn't start filling back up and making noise, then i test the system. I am sorry about not being ridiculously detailed, I thought we had discussed the common sense points already.

Oh, make sure not to pressurize using propane as well...I guess I should so that so no one gets confused. /endsarcasm

I want trying to be a dick, which I can if you prefer. Trying to actually help you.

The first time I boost leak tested was with a tire stem which turned out unsuccessful. I then switched to the quick connect and found my first sizable leak(1/2" diameter hole in intercooler)

If the air is going in your turbo and coming out then it should be audible. Crank your regulator flow to 20psi. It should be easier to hear.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

My bad, I get cranky sometimes.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Your criticism of my method being improper is improper.

I pressurize the system to the boost level....but when there is a gigantic leak, and the system isn't able to hold pressure (see original post), then blowing air through the system at a higher rate through a "quick connect" helps to find the leak, rather than using a bike pump with a valve stem on it.

L2read?
Your wording doesn't explain that. You can use a "quick disconnect" as your tool regardless of how much psi you are going to test. Your post doesn't make any sense. What psi are you filling your tank to? I don't suggest your method at all. You want to start at a lower psi and and then gradually raise. For all we know you are telling people to fill your tank to 150psi and empty it into your system without it being regulated. I run a 50 gallon tank regulated to 30 psi and that will bring out the biggest leaks minus the EGR being disconnected.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed, my wording doesn't explain anything about anything....literally the only point was that the quick connect allows "some level of air pressure" to move quickly into the system, as opposed to the valve stem type that takes a lot longer to build pressure.

What's happening here, is you are hearing something I am not saying. I didn't say "hey, pressurize your intake to 150psi"....yet that's what you apparently heard.

Literally....did not say anything about pressures, all I said is quick connect > valve stem....it's like people try to misunderstand sometimes
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed, my wording doesn't explain anything about anything....literally the only point was that the quick connect allows "some level of air pressure" to move quickly into the system, as opposed to the valve stem type that takes a lot longer to build pressure.

What's happening here, is you are hearing something I am not saying. I didn't say "hey, pressurize your intake to 150psi"....yet that's what you apparently heard.

Literally....did not say anything about pressures, all I said is quick connect > valve stem....it's like people try to misunderstand sometimes
I am done arguing since you obviously don't know how to explain yourself. You said a quick connect allows you to dump your 6 gallon tank into the system in 30 seconds
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

alright guys we found the leak. it was a blown gasket that goes between the turbo and the j-pipe. it was so huge it wouldn't hold any pressure on a regular tire valve so we had to mod the tester and go direct through the compresser.

thanks for everyone's .02 cents i appreciated. now time for some serious power!

All Day!

Quick Reply: Boost Leak Test FAILED! HELP.