Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost Leak Test FAILED! HELP.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by benselements41
I'm no ASE master TECH, but if there is an exhaust valve open just enough to get air through and the intake valve is open too....... air will get through.
intake and exhaust valves should not be opened at the same time.

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
no it wont.
YOU ARE NOT PRESSURIZING THE ENGINE.

air starts at the compressor housing and ends at the throttle body. it does not go through the engine
Wrong air does not stop at the throttle body, how do you think it is possible to idle with the throttle closed? Air will pass the TB when its closed.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1UpMoto
intake and exhaust valves should not be opened at the same time.

Wrong air does not stop at the throttle body, how do you think it is possible to idle with the throttle closed? Air will pass the TB when its closed.

OMG stop going around posting useless information in everyones threads. First about how all 2003 evos have clear coat and is not a single stage paint job, WHICH IT IS A SINGLE STAGE PAINT JOB AND DOES NOT HAVE A TOP LAYER OF CLEAR COAT UNLESS ITS TB OR GG, and now saying exhaust valves and intake valves shouldn be open at the same time. Ever heard of valve overlap genius? And yes enough air does stop at the throttle body when its closed to perform a boost leak test.

I swear evom moderators need to make an exam up so that you have to have a certain level
of knowledge of a motor and car, especially if its your own car, to post in here. And if you can't pass the exam you should only be allowed to READ and LEARN BEFORE POSTNG FALSE INFORMATION.

Last edited by awdordie; Aug 31, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here ya go 1upmoto just for you i will take the time to enlighten you after every stupid post you make not knowing what your talking about.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define+valve+overlap
Old Sep 1, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im not retarded, I know what valve overlap is. We are talking about boost leak tests here and 99.9% of the time with the car off their should not be any overlap. Air gets passed the throttle body How the hell do you think you find boost leaks on the intake manifold, and its funny that my boost gauge rises as I pressurize the system, but I guess thats impossible since it stops at the TB. Also I know apex silver, TB, GG, are not single stage.