Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost Leak Test FAILED! HELP.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Boost Leak Test FAILED! HELP.

we did a boost leak but something was wrong, there wasn't any pressure going into the system. i bought a pro boost leak tester from ebay. we tested the gauge on it and it worked fine. we applied pressure into the turbo with a compresser and nothing was going in it. so it was impossible to find where the leaks were. we tightend every clamps on the intercooler piping and there was some that was loose so we tried again and still the same outcome.We Also checked vaccum lines and everyone was intack car idles like a camp! Are doing something wrong? please let me know thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

i know this sounds stupid but did you put the uicp back on including the bov? if the bov is off its just gonna go right out lol
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by warstang27
i know this sounds stupid but did you put the uicp back on including the bov? if the bov is off its just gonna go right out lol
Wow really!?!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Test the Pressure tester off the car. Air should be pissibg out the other end. Try test again after you determined the air is passing through tester efficiently.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

hey man. ask a stupid/vague question, get a stupid/vague answer. if you want a real answer go take it to the guy who put on your | ARC | ETS | Kelford | Supertech| HKS | Innovate| Defi | Alpine Since you clearly didnt if you dont even know how to boost leak test your own car
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Test the Pressure tester off the car. Air should be pissibg out the other end. Try test again after you determined the air is passing through tester efficiently.
Did that...the tester works fine off the car so we knew that wasnt it.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by warstang27
hey man. ask a stupid/vague question, get a stupid/vague answer. if you want a real answer go take it to the guy who put on your | ARC | ETS | Kelford | Supertech| HKS | Innovate| Defi | Alpine Since you clearly didnt if you dont even know how to boost leak test your own car
And...u talk really big behind a computer
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350Z_2_Evo8
Wow really!?!
I hate to laugh at something so simple but uh yeah. I have alot ot learn about this car too but yeah you have to keep your stock bov on unless you cap it off where the bov sits on it. Then again if you cap it off and the bov is leaking its useless to even boostleak test it.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by impact blue
I hate to laugh at something so simple but uh yeah. I have alot ot learn about this car too but yeah you have to keep your stock bov on unless you cap it off where the bov sits on it. Then again if you cap it off and the bov is leaking its useless to even boostleak test it.
Bov is intack...y would i even test for leaks if it wasnt?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

check your EGR hoses.

Athanasios
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you cant get any pressure then you would have a pretty big leak that should be easy to find. if your sure everything is tight then id question the tester....
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nashou66
check your EGR hoses.

Athanasios
Checked it...still in there
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

if the pistons aren't lined up properly wont it just go right out the exhaust? I could be wrong but worth a shot. Try bumping the engine and try again.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no man, heres probably part of your problem, even with the tb closed air can still escape past it...if you plumbing the tester onto the compressor inlet, usually u wanna cap off the uicp where it connects to the throttle body, now usually u wanna plug the vacuum line for boost controller, remove vacuum line from bov so it dont release the pressure, and put a golf tee or somethin in the pcv return line to intake...other then that sounds like what u did was mostly right...now gotta dumb question u did turn on the air compressor right haha just askin
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05evoGSR
if the pistons aren't lined up properly wont it just go right out the exhaust? I could be wrong but worth a shot. Try bumping the engine and try again.
no. pressurized air is not going into the engine. the compressor side on the turbo is completely separate from the exhaust side

Quick Reply: Boost Leak Test FAILED! HELP.