Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pruven axleback vs. Works

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2003, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pruven axleback vs. Works

I just installed the Pruven Axleback which I got from Vivid. The installl was easier than doing all tire rotation. The quality is ok. It looks like it was just put together without much attention to detail. The fit was fine, little off center but no biggie. I didn't get any bolts or gaskets. The stock gasket fit fine but had to buy nuts and bolts to install. I paid $140 shipped so I feel I got my money's worth.
Compare to the Works axleback, which I happen to see upclose, Pruven would rate 6/10 while I would put Works at 9/10 in quality. Works axleback is well made and the tip is high quality. I believe more than half the cost for Works axleback is in the double walled SS tip. But it's pretty expensive for just a pipe and a tip compare to the whole canister muffler. Still, it is a very nice and high quality pipe muffler out there. It is also very light compare to canister type mufflers.

Summary:
Pruven- Pretty decent axleback but low on quality
Works- Pricey but nicest pipe and tip axleback out there.

If I could have gotten the Works axleback for $140, I would have.
Attached Thumbnails Pruven axleback vs. Works-exhaustpic.jpg  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Mmm ... shiny.

Nice photos simevo. I will agree that the Works fabrication is better, DavidV showed me around the place when I dropped my Evo off a few week and a half ago to get worked on.

The workmanship on the Exhale was amazing. Compared to the other exhaust pieces I've seen there was no comparison

Of course, it is a little pricier, so that always has to be taken into consideration.

I should have it installed when I get back to town (5th of Jan) and I'll post pics of everything and performance comments.

Pz.

-S ...
Old Dec 27, 2003, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could've gotten Buschur for $160. Pruven is a nice performance product and I love the sound their muffler makes
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I think stock muffler is great. I never seen an OEM exhaust as good as the Evo's. So for anyone who don't like loud exhaust, stay with the stock exhaust and just get a DP and high flow cat.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I think stock muffler is great. I never seen an OEM exhaust as good as the Evo's. So for anyone who don't like loud exhaust, stay with the stock exhaust and just get a DP and high flow cat
You're crazy. The stock muffler is probably the most restrictive part of the exhaust. You can feel a difference in power with just an aftermarket axle back. Not to mention the weight of the stock muffler/axle back. The stock muffler is heavy.

Also, you won't get a loud exhaust with an axle back like the Pruven. It isn't much different sounding than stock...just sounds better, especially when accelerating...it is deeper but not even close to loud
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

It still is the best OEM exhaust I've seen. Plus look at the dyno results. I believe Evo's with just a cat back makes around 10-15whp up at top but Evo's with just the DP and high flow cat makes about the same. Now when you add a turbo back with high flow cat, I believe you gain around 20-30whp at most but with whole lot of noise.
I've seen Supra's make around 60-70whp just by adding a turbo back type exhaust.
I don't like noise so a true 3in turbo back is out of the question. The Pruven axle back is loud enough but tolerable. I would rather just get a DP and high flow cat for any future exhaust mods.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broeli
You're crazy. The stock muffler is probably the most restrictive part of the exhaust. You can feel a difference in power with just an aftermarket axle back. Not to mention the weight of the stock muffler/axle back. The stock muffler is heavy.

Also, you won't get a loud exhaust with an axle back like the Pruven. It isn't much different sounding than stock...just sounds better, especially when accelerating...it is deeper but not even close to loud
You might want to take a look at Works Stealth muffler. They open up the stock muffler and alter the exhaust path.