Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tape Airbag Light Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011 | 01:03 PM

Tape Airbag Light Illegal?

Ok, so when I bought the car an airbag light came on 2 days after the purchase. Needless to say I did not ever give it the attention and concentrated on performance mods lol. Well I am going to sell the vehicle and still to this day do not want to pay the money to get the problem diagnosed and fixed. So the question is this, the vehicle will be sold as-is and I am going to use the electric tape trick. I am pretty sure I cannot be sued for this because the vehicle will be sold as-is but just looking for opinions.
Old Jun 30, 2011 | 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

So you're going to put someone else's life in danger (possibly) because you can't be bothered to fix a problem before selling the car?

I'd be pissed if I bought the car and found out about that later.

Or if I bought the car and killed the passenger (pretending that's the reason the airbag is on) in an accident because the airbag was malfunctioning.
Old Jun 30, 2011 | 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing illegal since in a way you're tampering with a federally mandated safety requirement. Not to mention it's incredibly sleazy since you're knowingly hiding a problem from the potential buyers. Either get it fixed or leave the light on so the buyer at least knows what they're getting into.

Can you be sued for it? Sure, you can sue anybody for practically anything. Would they win is the real question, and knowingly hiding a safety problem would pack some serious weight in their corner. Not to mention it's now documented on the internet...
Old Jun 30, 2011 | 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by satin350
Ok, so when I bought the car an airbag light came on 2 days after the purchase. Needless to say I did not ever give it the attention and concentrated on performance mods lol. Well I am going to sell the vehicle and still to this day do not want to pay the money to get the problem diagnosed and fixed. So the question is this, the vehicle will be sold as-is and I am going to use the electric tape trick. I am pretty sure I cannot be sued for this because the vehicle will be sold as-is but just looking for opinions.
Quoted for record in case you try and edit your first post.

Thread closed.