Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How often does your Radiator fan turn ON/OFF?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How often does your Radiator fan turn ON/OFF?

I recently noticed on my 03 Evo 8 the radiator fan keeps going on and off at idle and the cars not even over heating or anything...Is this Normal?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^yup... My fan goes on and off all the time. The time my fan last off is only like 7-10sec (this is when my AC is on)
Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Sounds right to me. Usually just turns on and off once the engine reaches operating temp in order to keep the temps stable. It also turns on when you turn the AC on.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

I dont have ac in my car rite now..fans so annoying!

Last edited by Revo15; Jul 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Im talking like 3 mins after I start my car it goes on n then shuts off..then the cycle begins
Old Jul 9, 2011, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like others have said its just trying to keep the engine at optimal temps. If youre just parked and idling there is no air passing through the rad so the fan has to come on.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

i have two fans like all the other evo's now my only concern is that the fan on the inside of the engine bay does not come on at all? is that an issue?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
These cars are known for having fan controller issues too. As long as the fans are running, while it may be annoying, longer or more frequent operation of the fans will not hurt the car in any way since (when operating properly) they come on to help the car anyway, so at least you know the car is safe. It's when the fans won't come on at all is when you have to begin to worry.

ILoveAWD, you may have a concern that needs to be addressed as well. Do you have A/C in your car?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine does the same, it is a bit annoying
Old Aug 6, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
These cars are known for having fan controller issues too. As long as the fans are running, while it may be annoying, longer or more frequent operation of the fans will not hurt the car in any way since (when operating properly) they come on to help the car anyway, so at least you know the car is safe. It's when the fans won't come on at all is when you have to begin to worry.

ILoveAWD, you may have a concern that needs to be addressed as well. Do you have A/C in your car?
not trying to jack a thread, but yeah i do have ac in the car my car, my car runs cool it is just that the fan inside the engine bay beside the upper intercooler piping does not come on. the one in the front does all the time though off and on.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One of your fans is related to cooling and is triggered by engine coolant temp and works in combination with thermostat function and flow through the radiator in order to keep the engine cool.

The other fan is directly related to A/C and works when the compressor is engaged. If you have the car running and turn the A/C on and off a couple times, with a few second interval in-between switching, you will hear the compressor engage and disengage, the rpms will rise and fall, and the condenser fan will cycle on and off depending on A/C switch position.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z

I had that same issue,changed the fan controller, and it went completely away.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ILoveAWD
not trying to jack a thread, but yeah i do have ac in the car my car, my car runs cool it is just that the fan inside the engine bay beside the upper intercooler piping does not come on. the one in the front does all the time though off and on.
Just test it by turning on your AC to max and see if it is turning on afterwards.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Revo15
I recently noticed on my 03 Evo 8 the radiator fan keeps going on and off at idle and the cars not even over heating or anything...Is this Normal?
The fan in my IX turns on and off every few minutes. It turns on when I park. I let it run til the fan shuts off and then turn my car off. It goes on more frequently when you have the AC on.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 04:32 AM

Does your fan run in during cold start as well? If so its ur fan control unit.

Had the same issue fan ran like crazy on and off also when the car was off it would run for another 2-3 sec and then switch off.

Quick Reply: How often does your Radiator fan turn ON/OFF?