Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I getting way too in over my head?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after talking things over with a close friend I decided to keep my EVO, ditch the meth kit, get the car retuned on plain old 93 gas, and leave it as is. I'm selling all the parts I bought and intended to install so you guys can keep an eye out for that For Sale thread in the near future.

I plan to purchase a motorcycle sometime soon. I figure that can quench my thirst for speed without costing me an arm and a leg and a blown motor.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GinNBoost
I'm sort of at a crossroads on my modding path. I have all these parts ready to be installed (Exedy Twin HD clutch, FP HTA Green, 880cc injectors, just to name a few...) and just a week ago I was totally pumped up about having this 500whp street car.

After doing a lot of reading on this site and searching through tons of old threads, I'm starting to realize that I'm about to enter a whole world that I may not be ready for. My car is not quite a daily driver but I drive it more often than I'd like. With the amount of power I'm looking to put down I'm starting to realize that I'll have to worry about my motor blowing, my meth kit failing, and all these other dangers.

I'm not ready to build my motor nor do I want to. I rarely take my car to the track and pretty much grandma it unless I'm feeling spirited and want to rip it down an empty highway. I didn't really want to turn it into a racecar, but it looks like I'm headed in that direction. All I wanted was a fast headturner that I could feel proud of driving every day.

I'm starting to get doubts and I'm thinking of selling my car and all the parts I just recently bought and going down another road. (Maybe a Corvette? Or an M3?) I hate to say it but I'm actually starting to get sick of my EVO. It's the same symptoms I developed with all my old DSMs. I loved them for the first two years but then sold them and got something else.

So what would you guys recommend? Should I put the parts in and get it re-tuned and drive my ticking time bomb around or should I reconsider and start fresh somewhere else?

It's really stressing me out and I know this hobby shouldn't. I love my car but am I getting in over my head? Thanks for reading...
That's a great question I've been asking myself lately. About a month ago I threw a rod through the block. Same thing happened to me a decade ago with a 3000GT. At this point I could have bought a brand new car just from repairs on my 2 mitsu's. That's what really makes me think it's time to grow up and be smarter with money. I love my Evo, but ever since I modded it 1 year ago I haven't been happy with it. For the money I spent I was underpowered, to top it off the motor took a dump (maybe the motor was the problem in the first place). At first I figured I'd do a built motor, but then I question am I getting way too in over my head? I figured a built motor meant it would be able to handle abuse, but really it just seems like it can handle abuse at a higher power level but for a limited time like anything. That's another disappointment.

At this point I'm thinking I may throw in the towel, get a stock block thrown in, sell all of my go fast mods and just be happy with the stock Evo. Imagine spending $10,000+ on a built setup and then you blow a motor? That could be reality. I'm not looking forward to that.

Only thing I can suggest is while you are figuring this out don't do any more mods to your car. I decided to install a new BOV on my car and a few hours later the engine was toast. All I'm trying to say is keep it safe until you make your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Well after talking things over with a close friend I decided to keep my EVO, ditch the meth kit, get the car retuned on plain old 93 gas, and leave it as is. I'm selling all the parts I bought and intended to install so you guys can keep an eye out for that For Sale thread in the near future.

I plan to purchase a motorcycle sometime soon. I figure that can quench my thirst for speed without costing me an arm and a leg and a blown motor.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
I noticed your in the North Brunswick NJ area. Let's face it that part of Jersey sucks with high traffic and crap roads. I can see why your frustrated I lived in that area for a while.

An Evo is not a stop and go car. It needs clear backroads with lots of turns and open straights.

If you get a bike take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

OMG YES, finally someone who knows my pain.

There is no bigger killjoy than crappy Jersey roads, stop and go traffic and CONSTANT highway construction.

So maybe my car isn't to blame. Maybe it's just my environment...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardware
I figured a built motor meant it would be able to handle abuse, but really it just seems like it can handle abuse at a higher power level but for a limited time like anything. That's another disappointment.

At this point I'm thinking I may throw in the towel, get a stock block thrown in, sell all of my go fast mods and just be happy with the stock Evo. Imagine spending $10,000+ on a built setup and then you blow a motor? That could be reality. I'm not looking forward to that.
I've been reading on how long people have had their built motors and have been really disappointed in how little miles everyone is claiming, even the guys that are not producing massive amounts of power.

It has definitely changed my mind on modding, but many people will say pay to play but why pay so much for motors that lasts such a short time?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Well that's part of what has discouraged me from modding any further. Like Hardware said, if I'm going to dump thousands into a motor, that thing better be bulletproof and last me a decade. For it to be just a temporary thing is VERY discouraging and makes you ask yourself if it's even worth it. I'm not sponsored, I'm not a shop owner, I can't afford to be blowing my motor every month down at the track. Yes you gotta pay to play, I realize that, but it starts to become insane. And isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same with getting a bike instead of dumping money into my cars. Now I have a ton of bolt ons,chain sprocket kit, Power commander, Fender eliminator, Hids etc on my 06 R6. Wear FULL GEAR EVERY TIME! As long as you have good judgement you should be fine. Take a look a SV650's if you've never ridden before. I started on one and the bike is very forgiving. It also has enough power to feel safe merging on freeways etc. And take the MSF course. It should seriously be required for all new riders. You'll learn a ton and have alot of fun.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Ditch the meth, slap on the green and get a different single plate clutch (twin HD's need rebuilds if you drag race) and shut up. The other meth option would be to upgrade to HFS-6 and utilize a failsafe.

Stock motors are stout. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

There's no other car that's going to provide the enjoyment and the practicality that the evo can at anything near the evo price point.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well that's part of what has discouraged me from modding any further. Like Hardware said, if I'm going to dump thousands into a motor, that thing better be bulletproof and last me a decade. For it to be just a temporary thing is VERY discouraging and makes you ask yourself if it's even worth it. I'm not sponsored, I'm not a shop owner, I can't afford to be blowing my motor every month down at the track. Yes you gotta pay to play, I realize that, but it starts to become insane. And isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?
Building a reliable motor is more about a clean shop and knowing and measuring tolerances and less about expensive parts. I think some shops just bolt the parts together and hope for the best. Master engine builders measure everything.
Also the tune is important and I doubt that the gas we buy at the pump is really that good. I use and tune to 93 octane and at times I will get lots of knock depending on brand.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well hell....I guess I'll stop after the E85 mods and tune and dump a little into the suspension and call it a day. Maybe a JDM bumper!

OP, good luck finding a happy medium with the car.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:10 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OMG YES, finally someone who knows my pain.

There is no bigger killjoy than crappy Jersey roads, stop and go traffic and CONSTANT highway construction.

So maybe my car isn't to blame. Maybe it's just my environment...
Your environment isn't all that different than mine; though, with the kind of winters we get I'm willing to bet that most of our roads are in worse shape. I love driving my IX anywhere and everywhere; rarely does it see the highway. My car is almost stock: FMIC, MBC, TBE w/HFC, and a killer tune from STM geared for drivability and reliability. That's it. It's capable of running 11s with better than stock drivability. Looking at your mod list, you have a lot of parts that aggregately compromise much of that makes the car a lot of fun to drive. More like a chore. For example, cams on a IX, why, or a stiff motor mount? If it were me, I'd put the car almost to stock, have it retuned (not for max power), and enjoy driving one of the most rewarding machines ever created. It doesn't have to be like this.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

It is just a temporary thing and it won't last you a decade.

This is reality.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Nothing is bullet proof when it comes to high horsepower cars and racing. Plus no built motor will last nearly as long as a tight clearance stock motor. A built motor will have looser clearances and put more wear on the cylinder walls. If you want a reliable car that lasts 100K+ miles, keep the stock motor with a smaller stock frame turbo.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Your environment isn't all that different than mine; though, with the kind of winters we get I'm willing to bet that most of our roads are in worse shape. I love driving my IX anywhere and everywhere; rarely does it see the highway. My car is almost stock: FMIC, MBC, TBE w/HFC, and a killer tune from STM geared for drivability and reliability. That's it. It's capable of running 11s with better than stock drivability. Looking at your mod list, you have a lot of parts that aggregately compromise much of that makes the car a lot of fun to drive. More like a chore. For example, cams on a IX, why, or a stiff motor mount? If it were me, I'd put the car almost to stock, have it retuned (not for max power), and enjoy driving one of the most rewarding machines ever created. It doesn't have to be like this.
You're 100% right. I should have just stuck with my basic mods and tune and left it at that. Instead I got greedy and started having these dreams of a massive HP vehicle that would eat up anything I came across both on the street and on the track. Little did I realize the reality of owning something like that.

The car has become a chore to drive. But I don't think it's my car's fault. I think it's my own. I have gotten used to the speed and no longer find it thrilling to drive.

I just hate having to spend money to go backwards, but I guess to promote the longevity of the motor (and my sanity) it's a necessary downgrade.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:54 AM

you need to track your car. that love will came back again. I agree you need to sell all other parts use that money for for a dd and just ttrack you stock evo. just make sure you use the kind of tracks with turns in them.

Quick Reply: Am I getting way too in over my head?