Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX Water pump help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evo IX Water pump help

So, i come to find out i need a water pump.. i so far understand that theyre two different water pumps from the 8 and the 9 so, i know to look for the 9 lol.. but, anyway im as far down as the pulley off and a few bolts actually out of the water pump.. my next question on the EVO 9 in specific do i need to take off the timing components??? i REALLLLY dont want to since im not really cumfortable in re-timing the motor... but, yeah i would appreciate ya'lls help since im a fairly decent mechanic, no so good speller but, i just like to know before i LEAP ya know ?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:40 PM

how many miles you got on your car? if i was to go in behind the timing cover i would change all the components just so you know your good for another 60-70K without having to go in again because one of the bearing is making noise. there is just more wear and tear on these bearings because the car is turbo'd compared to an N/A.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there is a little bit of a difference from the 8 and 9 waterpumps, so get the one that goes to your car. It would be a good idea to change the timing components since the water pump is behind the timing belt. There is a very well written How-To about it on here. I studied it very thoroughly and did mine with ease. If you have a friend whose already done this, then get with them about it. It's not as scary as people make it out to be.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by bluedevil06
how many miles you got on your car? if i was to go in behind the timing cover i would change all the components just so you know your good for another 60-70K without having to go in again because one of the bearing is making noise. there is just more wear and tear on these bearings because the car is turbo'd compared to an N/A.
Just keep in mind that if you do go this route (i just did) the idler pulley is a PITA!!!! i almost wouldn't change it! lol. You've got to take off the power steering to remove the power steering bracket. not fun, considering the rest of the stuff is relatively easy to get to. I almost notched the Ps bracket with my grinder so i could get to the bolt on the idler pulley next time, but it was late at night.

and yes, if you take your time, the whole process isn't that hard. Just keep an eye on the oil pump sprocket, making sure its in phase. (or know the trick, or use the screwdriver)
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:50 PM

Hmm... well, anyone know where to find this or is the normal price friggin $230 ??
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do the timing stuff while doing the pump. You gotta take it off anyway.

Don't forget the tensioner tools, long bolt and pulley adjuster( needlenose works too)

Try mitsubishiparts.net for the best price on the pump.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your not going to be able to get the waterpump out without taking tension off of the timing belt so you need to put the motor at TDC and take the timing belt off. its not hard to do at all
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Devo IX
Hmm... well, anyone know where to find this or is the normal price friggin $230 ??

just use an evo 8 water pump! it will save you a lot of money, and works just fine on a 9!! myself as well as a number of my friends have run the with 0 problems!! and my evo is beaten to hell and back on the track! they ARE very slightly different w/ the 9 having 1 extra bolt hole for an additional bracket to the alternator, but it is not needed and the car works 100% fine without it saves you almost $200

Last edited by vipers; Jul 18, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

You could get a Gates water pump for $45.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Thast the retail dealer price. Call Ourisman Mitsu in Marlo Heighst MD and haggle with them. You can get it for around $175. I just bought one myself and they usually have them in stock.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:24 PM

so I need a waterpump aswell, I understand that evo 8 waterpump will work on my evo 9 ? also what do you mean about taking the tension of the timming belt?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:56 AM

I got a pump pm me
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.evo_desi
so I need a waterpump aswell, I understand that evo 8 waterpump will work on my evo 9 ? also what do you mean about taking the tension of the timming belt?
You have to remove the timing belt to gain access to remove the pump.