Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dreading the 120k Maint... need info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreading the 120k Maint... need info

Ok, I'm looking into buying an 03' Evo that is gonna need the 120k maintenance done. What can I expect and what do I need to replace? I found a thread with some info but I can't afford to do the WHOLE thing. So what's most important to replace first?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GrnEVO
Ok, I'm looking into buying an 03' Evo that is gonna need the 120k maintenance done. What can I expect and what do I need to replace? I found a thread with some info but I can't afford to do the WHOLE thing. So what's most important to replace first?
a freshley built ams, buschar, etc. 2.3, 2.0, 2.4 long block

problem solved
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Below is the service schedule. I'd break it up into smaller bites if needed and not try to do it all at once. Do what you can afford; and then next payday do something else. If it takes 10,000 miles to complete the entire 120,000 mile service, then so be it. Not the end of the world. Still better than not at all.

Fluid changes are the most important, so I'd start with those first. If engine is running fine, put off the spark plug change till last. Simply evaluate each item on the service schedule and budget for it as you can.

Originally Posted by RussellM

Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:42 PM

I would just do the timing belt kit with the water pump and change all the fluids out.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow I thought you were going to build the evo anyways off top??? Confused now
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

well I ended up skipping on the 136k evo. I'm checking out one that's got about 86k. Rock, I thought it was better off to just buy my house out-right then to build the Evo out-right. Makes the most sense to me. (Shhh, the wife talked me into that but I have to make it seem like it's my idea, lol)
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Below is the service schedule. I'd break it up into smaller bites if needed and not try to do it all at once. Do what you can afford; and then next payday do something else. If it takes 10,000 miles to complete the entire 120,000 mile service, then so be it. Not the end of the world. Still better than not at all.

Fluid changes are the most important, so I'd start with those first. If engine is running fine, put off the spark plug change till last. Simply evaluate each item on the service schedule and budget for it as you can.
I would do the timing componentry too especially if it was done at 60K, thats prob. just as important as the fluids
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnEVO
well I ended up skipping on the 136k evo. I'm checking out one that's got about 86k. Rock, I thought it was better off to just buy my house out-right then to build the Evo out-right. Makes the most sense to me. (Shhh, the wife talked me into that but I have to make it seem like it's my idea, lol)

haaa if i was you and i had the chance to get a house and I liked it i would get the crib setup first. LOL i have dropped tons into my evo and after i get a baffled oil pan rims cf fuse cover new paintjob im done modding it and focus on getting a second car out here in texas. but i get my new apt in august out here in texas so all that is probally gonna get put on the back burner so i can deck the apt out. I want to come home to a nice a$$ pad or if friends come over be really impressed instead of have a impressive car but dull looking apt for sure. So i agree with your wife btw i talked to JMS about you and said its all good they can build what you want and send it to you or do the whole darn thing there here to help
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Rock. I'm closing on my house this Friday ... with no mortgage WooT Woot!! Things are looking up and now I'll be able to hook up the ride. It'll just take a little longer than I wanted now, lol. Thanks for talking to JMS for me too. I felt like a dick leaving them hanging but business is business ya know!?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on all the guys that said timing belt, water pump, and fluids.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish my car had 120K, LOL

Like they all said, WP, Fluids and Tbelt kit

Good Luck with it.